start up programs - do I need them

Hi,
I was just checking under Settings, Start Menu and noticed a large number of
programs listed.
eg Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Games, WinZip

There are some there that I understand the reason for, such as login to my
ISP,Antivirus program etc, but many are for programs (including a couple of
games)that I use very rarely, if at all.

I would appreciate advice on the significance of these being included in the
start up - is it just a way to make the icon appear on my screen, or does it
do something with the program in the background that i am unaware of. (I
sometimes wonder if these slow down my boot up process)
Would these programs still be available to me if I removed them from start
up.
Thanks for any advice or comment
Trevor

Startup Configuration for Program Launching

Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Compare the
listing there with the following Startup checklists:

http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startlist.htm - has trojan related items
listed

Note: Please ensure that you fully understand the purpose of a
startup item, how and why it was put into the startup, and the
consequences (if any) of removing it before you make any changes.
Some items are very important for the proper and safe functioning of
your computer, including at least one item that is listed twice,
LoadPowerProfile.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------

trk wrote:
> Hi,
> I was just checking under Settings, Start Menu and noticed a large
> number of programs listed.
> eg Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Games, WinZip
>
> There are some there that I understand the reason for, such as login
> to my ISP,Antivirus program etc, but many are for programs (including
> a couple of games)that I use very rarely, if at all.
>
> I would appreciate advice on the significance of these being included
> in the start up - is it just a way to make the icon appear on my
> screen

Yes - in tray
_____________

> or does it do something with the program in the background
> that i am unaware of.

Depends on the program. Plain old apps, no. Things that integrate with
the system such as CD packet writers, yes.
_____________

> (I sometimes wonder if these slow down my boot
> up process)

Of course they do
_______________

> Would these programs still be available to me if I removed them from
> start up.

Yes

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, dadiOH is back. I thought you were gone from this newsgroup and that
made me sad. :< I am now :>

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
: trk wrote:
: > Hi,
: > I was just checking under Settings, Start Menu and noticed a large
: > number of programs listed.
: > eg Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Games, WinZip
: >
: > There are some there that I understand the reason for, such as login
: > to my ISP,Antivirus program etc, but many are for programs (including
: > a couple of games)that I use very rarely, if at all.
: >
: > I would appreciate advice on the significance of these being included
: > in the start up - is it just a way to make the icon appear on my
: > screen
:
: Yes - in tray
: _____________
:
: _______________
:
: > Would these programs still be available to me if I removed them from
: > start up.
:
: Yes
:
:
: --
: dadiOH
:
: dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
: ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
: LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
: Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
:
: