Stylus Photo 2100 via wireless

What is the experience of others in connecting a 2100 to a wireless
network, using a 802.11b network device in the USB port?
Does it work? Are there any problems and how have people overcome them?
(In case it is relevant, I run a Win XP Home system, and am based in the
UK)

David Foster

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:11:18 GMT, mdfoster@cix.co.uk (M.D. Foster)
wrote:

>What is the experience of others in connecting a 2100 to a wireless
>network, using a 802.11b network device in the USB port?
>Does it work? Are there any problems and how have people overcome them?
>(In case it is relevant, I run a Win XP Home system, and am based in the
>UK)

It's no problem if you use the £150 network kit from Epson. Otherwise
the only way to do it is to hang the printer off a computer which is
wireless enabled and share it with the others on the network. You
will, of course, only have full control of the printer on the host
system. And you may run into trouble anyway because you've got the
network castrated version of Windows XP.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:11:18 GMT, mdfoster@cix.co.uk (M.D. Foster)
> wrote:
>
> >What is the experience of others in connecting a 2100 to a wireless
> >network,

> It's no problem if you use the £150 network kit from Epson.

Does the status monitor work ok?

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 18:13:11 GMT, "CWatters"
<colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote:

>"Hecate" <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:11:18 GMT, mdfoster@cix.co.uk (M.D. Foster)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >What is the experience of others in connecting a 2100 to a wireless
>> >network,
>
>> It's no problem if you use the £150 network kit from Epson.
>

>Does the status monitor work ok?

As the status monitor requires knowing when a print takes place, if
more than one computer is accessing the printer there is no way the
monitor can work unless you're using a print server. (i.e.. printing
is done through a singe computer where the status monitor/drivers have
been loaded).
--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <0sua01t2g9lnq73aertkiki83i3oku1otd@4ax.com>,
hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:

> *From:* Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com>
> *Date:* Sun, 06 Feb 2005 02:08:00 +0000
>
> On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:11:18 GMT, mdfoster@cix.co.uk (M.D. Foster)
> wrote:
>
> >What is the experience of others in connecting a 2100 to a wireless
> >network, using a 802.11b network device in the USB port?
> >Does it work? Are there any problems and how have people overcome them?
> >(In case it is relevant, I run a Win XP Home system, and am based in
> the >UK)
> >
> It's no problem if you use the £150 network kit from Epson. Otherwise
> the only way to do it is to hang the printer off a computer which is
> wireless enabled and share it with the others on the network. You
> will, of course, only have full control of the printer on the host
> system. And you may run into trouble anyway because you've got the
> network castrated version of Windows XP.
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

Thank you for the advice.
Does it have to be the Epson kit, or is there a generic type of device
which will do the same job? (£150 on top of the printer cost is a
substantial extra!)

David Foster

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:07:10 GMT, mdfoster@cix.co.uk (M.D. Foster)
wrote:

>Thank you for the advice.
>Does it have to be the Epson kit, or is there a generic type of device
>which will do the same job? (£150 on top of the printer cost is a
>substantial extra!)

There was another person asking this while back and AFAIK, no one has
found a suitable solution other than the Epson one. If I'm wrong, I'm
sure someone will point it out <g>

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

In article <je5g015vh1l8h07qm3d20ac7trkm0u90pq@4ax.com>,
hecate@newsguy.com (Hecate) wrote:

> *From:* Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com>
> *Date:* Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:30:01 +0000
>
> On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:07:10 GMT, mdfoster@cix.co.uk (M.D. Foster)
> wrote:
>

> >Thank you for the advice.
> >Does it have to be the Epson kit, or is there a generic type of device
> >which will do the same job? (£150 on top of the printer cost is a
> >substantial extra!)
> >
> There was another person asking this while back and AFAIK, no one has
> found a suitable solution other than the Epson one. If I'm wrong, I'm
> sure someone will point it out <g>
>
> --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

Once again, think you for your help. I'll keep watching for while before
leaping (with my plastic)!

David Foster