Help.... Pocket PC v Blackberry

October 25, 2004 1:27:01 PM

Hi all
One decision maker (business Manager) in this company, after using a pocket
for a few days has decided in true marketing over content style that the
Blackberry is so much better for email than a pocket pc. And basically that
pocket pcs are CR4P
His reasons being:-
No one really would want to view a PowerPoint on a pocket pc, so most of the
extra functionality is useless.
It doesn’t push like Blackberry’s
No keyboard (this is using a phone pocket pc like XDA device)
Battery life is rubbish in comparison.

Now non techie people don’t see the way we people on this board see things,
so looking for some backup here on this one.

Has anyone go to decent Pro Pocket PC V Blackberry link I can go through.
So many Pro Blackberry’s but hardly any from our side of things.

More about : pocket blackberry

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 6:39:07 PM

The problem is that blackberries do one thing and one thing well and that's
e-mail. Now having said that I've been using my ipaq 6315 with exchange
server 2003's auto update notifications and that gives me what the
blackberries have which is push e-mail. I'll see what documentation I can
gather for you on this issue cause you can do so much more with a ppc than
with a blackberry and oh the battery life is great.

rights...

"Ryan Johnson" <RyanJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> One decision maker (business Manager) in this company, after using a
> pocket
> for a few days has decided in true marketing over content style that the
> Blackberry is so much better for email than a pocket pc. And basically
> that
> pocket pcs are CR4P
> His reasons being:-
> No one really would want to view a PowerPoint on a pocket pc, so most of
> the
> extra functionality is useless.
> It doesn't push like Blackberry's
> No keyboard (this is using a phone pocket pc like XDA device)
> Battery life is rubbish in comparison.
>
> Now non techie people don't see the way we people on this board see
> things,
> so looking for some backup here on this one.
>
> Has anyone go to decent Pro Pocket PC V Blackberry link I can go through.
> So many Pro Blackberry's but hardly any from our side of things.

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 11:10:42 PM

http://good.com has a solution that provides blackberry like functionality
for the PPC and Palm. Best of both worlds (Blackberry and PDA) IMHO.

"Ryan Johnson" <RyanJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> One decision maker (business Manager) in this company, after using a
> pocket
> for a few days has decided in true marketing over content style that the
> Blackberry is so much better for email than a pocket pc. And basically
> that
> pocket pcs are CR4P
> His reasons being:-
> No one really would want to view a PowerPoint on a pocket pc, so most of
> the
> extra functionality is useless.
> It doesn't push like Blackberry's
> No keyboard (this is using a phone pocket pc like XDA device)
> Battery life is rubbish in comparison.
>
> Now non techie people don't see the way we people on this board see
> things,
> so looking for some backup here on this one.
>
> Has anyone go to decent Pro Pocket PC V Blackberry link I can go through.
> So many Pro Blackberry's but hardly any from our side of things.

October 26, 2004 11:57:44 AM

Also, have a look on this article:

If you don't have Exchange 2003 or not able to use the Exchange 2003 Auto
Update feature, you'll find some information on other solutions for push
e-mail on Windows Mobile Pocket PC.

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
in message news:o X7mUIsuEHA.684@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The problem is that blackberries do one thing and one thing well and
> that's e-mail. Now having said that I've been using my ipaq 6315 with
> exchange server 2003's auto update notifications and that gives me what
> the blackberries have which is push e-mail. I'll see what documentation I
> can gather for you on this issue cause you can do so much more with a ppc
> than with a blackberry and oh the battery life is great.
>
> --
> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

> rights...
>

> "Ryan Johnson" <RyanJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all
>> One decision maker (business Manager) in this company, after using a
>> pocket
>> for a few days has decided in true marketing over content style that the
>> Blackberry is so much better for email than a pocket pc. And basically
>> that
>> pocket pcs are CR4P
>> His reasons being:-
>> No one really would want to view a PowerPoint on a pocket pc, so most of
>> the
>> extra functionality is useless.
>> It doesn't push like Blackberry's
>> No keyboard (this is using a phone pocket pc like XDA device)
>> Battery life is rubbish in comparison.
>>
>> Now non techie people don't see the way we people on this board see
>> things,
>> so looking for some backup here on this one.
>>
>> Has anyone go to decent Pro Pocket PC V Blackberry link I can go through.
>> So many Pro Blackberry's but hardly any from our side of things.

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:51:26 PM

Don't fight it, go with the flow - if you insist on giving the man a PPC,
he'll spend the next 2 years telling all his friends and associates how the
piece of CR4P was forced down his throat. Let him do what he wants to do,
as long as he doesn't affect your choice to go with PPC elsewhere.

"Ryan Johnson" <RyanJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> One decision maker (business Manager) in this company, after using a
> pocket
> for a few days has decided in true marketing over content style that the
> Blackberry is so much better for email than a pocket pc. And basically
> that
> pocket pcs are CR4P
> His reasons being:-
> No one really would want to view a PowerPoint on a pocket pc, so most of
> the
> extra functionality is useless.
> It doesn't push like Blackberry's
> No keyboard (this is using a phone pocket pc like XDA device)
> Battery life is rubbish in comparison.
>
> Now non techie people don't see the way we people on this board see
> things,
> so looking for some backup here on this one.
>
> Has anyone go to decent Pro Pocket PC V Blackberry link I can go through.
> So many Pro Blackberry's but hardly any from our side of things.

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 8:44:44 PM

Eric

Are you using the Auto Update Notifications in the US?

How closely are Microsoft working with operators to release this
functionality?

I'm in the UK using an O2 XDA2, not only are O2 not supporting the feature,
their technical support people didn't know what it was.

Krs
Chris

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
in message news:o X7mUIsuEHA.684@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> The problem is that blackberries do one thing and one thing well and
that's
> e-mail. Now having said that I've been using my ipaq 6315 with exchange
> server 2003's auto update notifications and that gives me what the
> blackberries have which is push e-mail. I'll see what documentation I can
> gather for you on this issue cause you can do so much more with a ppc than
> with a blackberry and oh the battery life is great.
>
> --
> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

> rights...
>

> "Ryan Johnson" <RyanJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> > One decision maker (business Manager) in this company, after using a
> > pocket
> > for a few days has decided in true marketing over content style that
the
> > Blackberry is so much better for email than a pocket pc. And basically
> > that
> > pocket pcs are CR4P
> > His reasons being:-
> > No one really would want to view a PowerPoint on a pocket pc, so most of
> > the
> > extra functionality is useless.
> > It doesn't push like Blackberry's
> > No keyboard (this is using a phone pocket pc like XDA device)
> > Battery life is rubbish in comparison.
> >
> > Now non techie people don't see the way we people on this board see
> > things,
> > so looking for some backup here on this one.
> >
> > Has anyone go to decent Pro Pocket PC V Blackberry link I can go
through.
> > So many Pro Blackberry's but hardly any from our side of things.

Anonymous
October 27, 2004 8:44:45 PM

Chris,
Yes I'm using AUTD with T-Mobile here in the states. T-mobile has
it set for your t-mobile mail account which I don't use but I am using it
with exchange 2003. I've never had a blackberry so I can't comment on how
one works over the other but I really do like the way AUTD works.

rights...

"Chris Butcher" <chrisbutchernospam@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:o nOlfvDvEHA.2316@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Eric
>
> Are you using the Auto Update Notifications in the US?
>
> How closely are Microsoft working with operators to release this
> functionality?
>
> I'm in the UK using an O2 XDA2, not only are O2 not supporting the
> feature,
> their technical support people didn't know what it was.
>
> Krs
> Chris

> FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
> Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
> http://mail.giantcompany.com
>

> "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com>
> wrote
> in message news:o X7mUIsuEHA.684@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> The problem is that blackberries do one thing and one thing well and
> that's
>> e-mail. Now having said that I've been using my ipaq 6315 with exchange
>> server 2003's auto update notifications and that gives me what the
>> blackberries have which is push e-mail. I'll see what documentation I
>> can
>> gather for you on this issue cause you can do so much more with a ppc
>> than
>> with a blackberry and oh the battery life is great.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

>> rights...
>>

>> "Ryan Johnson" <RyanJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all
>> > One decision maker (business Manager) in this company, after using a
>> > pocket
>> > for a few days has decided in true marketing over content style that
> the
>> > Blackberry is so much better for email than a pocket pc. And basically
>> > that
>> > pocket pcs are CR4P
>> > His reasons being:-
>> > No one really would want to view a PowerPoint on a pocket pc, so most
>> > of
>> > the
>> > extra functionality is useless.
>> > It doesn't push like Blackberry's
>> > No keyboard (this is using a phone pocket pc like XDA device)
>> > Battery life is rubbish in comparison.
>> >
>> > Now non techie people don't see the way we people on this board see
>> > things,
>> > so looking for some backup here on this one.
>> >
>> > Has anyone go to decent Pro Pocket PC V Blackberry link I can go
> through.
>> > So many Pro Blackberry's but hardly any from our side of things.

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 11:18:30 AM

Chris, if O2 supports a SMTP-to-SMS gateway, you should be able to use this
without their intervention. For example on Vodafone NZ users can subscribe
to a service that will give them an e-mail address that actually is just
their mobile phone. Any messages to this address are relayed to the mobile.
Note this is not forward from a inbox provided by the operator, but the end
point is the mobile. Something like <phone>@<operatordomain>

Add to the mix a GPRS connection with access to HTTPS for the
synchronisation to happen, and the rest of the configuration is on your side
of the infrastructure.

!