Unable to Download anything Please help me

First off I know a little about computers but I`m not a whizz so I thank
you for your patience.
My main problem is that I cannot download anything.I simply dont know
what is wrong with it.One day I can download and the next I cant. When
i try to download something, the box comes up on screen with the paper
flying from one side to the other but after a couple of minutes I get a
message saying unable to locate path with the red stop button. Also I
noticed around the same time that where you have a sliding bar for
adjusting the amount of disk space to use in temp internet folder. This
value is at 0MB and if you try to adjust it, you get a message saying
you must enter a value between 0 and 1. I had a look at the computer at
work and I think the value was at around 520MB.
I do think I have a virus or something but as I am unable to download
anything I cant scan my computer for a virus. I had Macafree but was
unable to download some components that were needed.
Also when I bought my computer, everything was already loaded and I did
not recieve a Win98 disc which some people find funny but thats exactly
how it came brand new.
If anybody can help me I would really appreciate it.
Thank You

--
DaveGy

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

98SE has a maximum ram of 512 mb's and to allow for up to 1 --- and possibly
1.5 gigabytes you need to edit your settings. I will let someone more
experienced than I tell you how to do this. Have a nice day!

"DaveGy" <DaveGy.1mawc1@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
:
[...]
: --
: DaveGy

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:
>>Also I
>> noticed around the same time that where you have a sliding bar for
>> adjusting the amount of disk space to use in temp internet folder. This
>> value is at 0MB and if you try to adjust it, you get a message saying
>> you must enter a value between 0 and 1. I had a look at the computer at
>> work and I think the value was at around 520MB.

>98SE has a maximum ram of 512 mb's and to allow for up to 1 --- and possibly
>1.5 gigabytes you need to edit your settings. I will let someone more
>experienced than I tell you how to do this. Have a nice day!

The 520MB OP mentioned was the space for the temporary internet files
(TIF). That has nothing to do with RAM. Instead it has to do with disk
space. If you have the TIF space set to zero, that may very well be
causing your problem. You should be able to adjust that value to
something other than zero (the "between 0 and 1" message doesn't make
sense for this setting). The only reason I can think of that you
wouldn't be able to set this to some reasonable value is that there's
no free space on your disk.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

See if this is helpful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q195163/

Ben

"DaveGy" <DaveGy.1mawc1@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message news:DaveGy.1mawc1@news.win98banter.com...

> First off I know a little about computers but I`m not a whizz so I thank
> you for your patience.
> My main problem is that I cannot download anything.I simply dont know
> what is wrong with it.One day I can download and the next I cant. When
> i try to download something, the box comes up on screen with the paper
> flying from one side to the other but after a couple of minutes I get a
> message saying unable to locate path with the red stop button. Also I
> noticed around the same time that where you have a sliding bar for
> adjusting the amount of disk space to use in temp internet folder. This
> value is at 0MB and if you try to adjust it, you get a message saying
> you must enter a value between 0 and 1. I had a look at the computer at
> work and I think the value was at around 520MB.
> I do think I have a virus or something but as I am unable to download
> anything I cant scan my computer for a virus. I had Macafree but was
> unable to download some components that were needed.
> Also when I bought my computer, everything was already loaded and I did
> not recieve a Win98 disc which some people find funny but thats exactly
> how it came brand new.
> If anybody can help me I would really appreciate it.
> Thank You
>

> --
> DaveGy

Does the message box indicate the name of the path that it is unable to
locate? If this is a path on the local hard disk drive, it indicates some
problem with the disk, such as a corrupted file system or insufficient space
in the partition or a missing or protected TIF folder.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)