Verticle lines and inactive desktop...acts as if in safe m..

I have moving verticle lines and acts as if in safe mode, but it isn't.
My desktop is inactive too. I have read past posting regarding this
issue, I was unable to find a solution. I thought I would post in
hopes there may be some new idea or suggestion.

I would tend to think that maybe my monitor is about to go out, except
for the fact that at startup when the dos screen is displayed the
screen is prefectly clear. The lines start to appear when the windows
logo screen appears at startup. I have not added or changed anything
to the computer. It just started happening out of the blue. I am
hopeful there is an easy fix and I eagerly await a solution. Thanks in
advance for all of your time and effort regarding this post.

Regards,
Linda
6 answers Last reply
More about verticle lines inactive desktop acts safe

    The monitor could be failing, or the video card may be driving the monitor
    in a mode that it cannot support. It is quite possible for a monitor or
    adapter to operate just fine in monochrome text mode, but fail to operate
    properly in colour graphics mode.

    What do you mean that the desktop is inactive? What exactly works and what
    doesn't? For instance, can you move the mouse pointer, does the highlight
    move when you TAB from the keyboard, can you open menus? If the system
    isn't working then you may have a bad video adapter card or there may be a
    software problem.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    <calicoharbor@aol.com> wrote in message
    >I have moving verticle lines and acts as if in safe mode, but it isn't.
    > My desktop is inactive too. I have read past posting regarding this
    > issue, I was unable to find a solution. I thought I would post in
    > hopes there may be some new idea or suggestion.
    >
    > I would tend to think that maybe my monitor is about to go out, except
    > for the fact that at startup when the dos screen is displayed the
    > screen is prefectly clear. The lines start to appear when the windows
    > logo screen appears at startup. I have not added or changed anything
    > to the computer. It just started happening out of the blue. I am
    > hopeful there is an easy fix and I eagerly await a solution. Thanks in
    > advance for all of your time and effort regarding this post.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Linda

    EeeGads!!! My friend also suggested that I locate a new vmm32.vxd
    That possibly this file became corrupt. This file was found in system
    devices for the monitor's driver. It was the only file not changed
    when we did a reinstall. However, after a very quick google group
    search on this file, it seems like a very scary file to mess around
    with. Of course, I am curious of anybody's thought regarding this.

    regards,
    linda

    <calicoharbor@aol.com> wrote in message news:1111609064.829723.283650@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
    > EeeGads!!! My friend also suggested that I locate a new vmm32.vxd
    > That possibly this file became corrupt. This file was found in system
    > devices for the monitor's driver. It was the only file not changed
    > when we did a reinstall. However, after a very quick google group
    > search on this file, it seems like a very scary file to mess around
    > with. Of course, I am curious of anybody's thought regarding this.

    Yeah, leave that file alone. It's a composite of a couple dozen
    virtual driver files that's built specifically for your system
    during the install.

    If you need to override one of the drivers inside that file, there
    are ways to do that, but I have my doubts that it is corrupt or
    has anything to do with the problem.

    I tend to agree with Blanton. Nevertheless, this Registry key...

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VMM32Files

    ....will list what is inside the conglomerate VMM32.vxd. And, this
    folder...

    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32

    ....will contain any possible override to individual files. They will
    override a file of the same name inside the conglomerate. Anything in
    there now?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    <calicoharbor@aol.com> wrote in message
    | EeeGads!!! My friend also suggested that I locate a new vmm32.vxd
    | That possibly this file became corrupt. This file was found in system
    | devices for the monitor's driver. It was the only file not changed
    | when we did a reinstall. However, after a very quick google group
    | search on this file, it seems like a very scary file to mess around
    | with. Of course, I am curious of anybody's thought regarding this.
    |
    | regards,
    | linda

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;127139&Product=w98
    Troubleshooting Video Problems in Windows

    "START, Run, MSConfig, Advanced button". If checked, then uncheck "VGA
    640x480x16", & reboot.

    "Control Panel, Display, Settings tab". Select as you wish from the
    Colors dropdown menu & the Size slider. Really, you should need nothing
    higher than "High Color (16 bit)", for speed/resource considerations.

    If you move the Screen Area slider to 1024x768 there, be sure to click
    the Advanced button, & select Large fonts.

    Try to get your colors/size at least twice that way. If it continues to
    fail, you may need to reinstall your Monitor or Display Adapter...

    For the Monitor...
    (1) Boot to Safe Mode
    (Hold F5 as you boot or CTRL for the Startup Menu)
    (2) "START, Settings, Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab"
    (3) Open the Monitors branch, & Remove all entries.

    Perhaps, FIRST, even in Normal Mode, note what is installed
    similar to below for the Adapter. That is...
    (a) D-Clk the monitor there for Properties, Driver tab.
    (b) Click the Update Driver button, then "Next".
    (c) Bolt "Display a list...", & click "Next".
    (d) Bolt "Show all hardware".
    Examine the two panes to see what is currently installed.
    That is likely what you wish to end up with, after step (4).

    (4) Boot to Normal Mode.

    Hopefully, it will be rediscovered & installed. Then, if still
    necessary, here is the rigmarole of the Display Adapter...

    .......Quote..........
    The first thing to do is to remove the video adapter you have
    installed. Right-click on the desktop; choose "Properties" from the
    drop-down menu; select "Settings;" click on the "Advanced" button; and
    click on "Adapter". An adapter is a program that tells Windows how to
    deal with a specific video card. Make note of the adapter that is
    currently installed. Then, change the adapter to "Standard Display
    Adapter (VGA)" and restart the system.

    [That is: Click "Change, Next, bolt 'Display a List...', Next, bolt
    'Show all hardware', scroll left pane to top, select '(Standard display
    types)', select 'Standard Display Adapter (VGA)' in right pane, click
    'Next'"... PCR]

    This will remove the current adapter and replace it with a generic VGA
    adapter that works with all video cards. You will not like VGA because
    it supports only 16 colors, but the purpose of installing it is to get
    rid of whatever was there before.

    Next, return to the adapter screen and install an adapter that matches
    your video card. This may or may not be the adapter that you are
    using now. Examine the materials you received with your computer to
    see if they include a CD-ROM or floppy disk that contains the correct
    video adapter. Or go to the Gateway website and see if they have an
    adapter for you to download. Or check the website of the company that
    made your video card.

    Bill Starbuck (MVP)
    .......End....of quote....

    Also...
    ..........Quote................
    To identify your video adapter correctly, download and run either the
    Everest or
    Aida32 utility, available here:
    http://aumha.org/freeware/freeware.php#everest

    Once you have identified the display adapter, go to the manufacturer's
    web site and download the correct driver for you operating
    system....(such as) Windows 98/98SE.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    <calicoharbor@aol.com> wrote in message
    | I have moving verticle lines and acts as if in safe mode, but it
    isn't.
    | My desktop is inactive too. I have read past posting regarding this
    | issue, I was unable to find a solution. I thought I would post in
    | hopes there may be some new idea or suggestion.
    |
    | I would tend to think that maybe my monitor is about to go out, except
    | for the fact that at startup when the dos screen is displayed the
    | screen is prefectly clear. The lines start to appear when the windows
    | logo screen appears at startup. I have not added or changed anything
    | to the computer. It just started happening out of the blue. I am
    | hopeful there is an easy fix and I eagerly await a solution. Thanks
    in
    | advance for all of your time and effort regarding this post.
    |
    | Regards,
    | Linda

    Your friend is very mistaken if he thinks you can "locate a new vmm32.vxd". The
    file is custom-built on each machine during Windows installation. If you mess with
    that file, you will have little choice afterwards but to do a reinstall of Windows.
    And as Bill stated, there is very little likelihood that the file is in any way
    connected to your current problems.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    <calicoharbor@aol.com> wrote in message
    > EeeGads!!! My friend also suggested that I locate a new vmm32.vxd
    > That possibly this file became corrupt. This file was found in system
    > devices for the monitor's driver. It was the only file not changed
    > when we did a reinstall. However, after a very quick google group
    > search on this file, it seems like a very scary file to mess around
    > with. Of course, I am curious of anybody's thought regarding this.
    >
    > regards,
    > linda

Desktops Windows