rundll message when powering up 98 ME

When powering up, windows shows up in a small box like it's in safe mode but
nowhere does it say "safemode". I also get "windows has caused an error in
mmsystem dll rundll will now close".

I also get the following message when clicking on the
desktop/properties/settings I get the following "an error has occured in your
program, to keep working anyway click ignore & save". I click close & I get
"rundll32 has caused an error in dibeng dll, rundll32 will now close.

When the computer hibernates, I can't get the screen back although the
computer is still on. This just all of a sudden happened all things at once.

Please help!

"Linelle" <Linelle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When powering up, windows shows up in a small box like it's in safe mode
but
> nowhere does it say "safemode". I also get "windows has caused an error
in
> mmsystem dll rundll will now close".
>
> I also get the following message when clicking on the
> desktop/properties/settings I get the following "an error has occured in
your
> program, to keep working anyway click ignore & save". I click close & I
get
> "rundll32 has caused an error in dibeng dll, rundll32 will now close.

Recopy both files from your CD via / start / run / SFC.EXE
= system file checker
set to restore a single file
c:\windows\system\mmsystem.dll
then ret to restore a single file