windows

i believe my windows 98 system has been infected...i am constantly getting a
message as if my activex controls wont allow me to view pages...and also i
get an error message on start up "Error C:\\Windows\System\Thun32.dll...I
keep getting spyware messages that keep changing my home site....and also my
computer wont allow me to do any updates because it has an error that says
"missing export NTDll:NTShutdownSystem
3 answers Last reply
More about windows

    Start with a complete scan with an up to date anti virus program followed by
    a spyware hunt:

    Spyware/scumware/adware are causing numerous system problems. I recommend
    you download and use the following programs and consider removing everything
    these programs identify. Be aware that there are frequent updates to these
    programs and you need to check for them before every use.

    AdAware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

    CWShredder: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html (download
    link near the bottom)

    Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "dee4477" <dee4477@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i believe my windows 98 system has been infected...i am constantly getting
    > message as if my activex controls wont allow me to view pages...and also i
    > get an error message on start up "Error C:\\Windows\System\Thun32.dll...I
    > keep getting spyware messages that keep changing my home site....and also
    > my
    > computer wont allow me to do any updates because it has an error that says
    > "missing export NTDll:NTShutdownSystem

    In addition to Ron, MVP's advice which is almost always great advice, please
    consider viewing and reading the following web-link for more advice.

    http://forums.techguy.org/archive/t-342221.html

    (Disclaimer: Reading an unknown web-link always involves risk but life is
    about risk so I can only encourage the user to safeguard their machine with a
    hardware and software firewall, followed by keeping Windows fully up to date
    via Windows Update, followed by antispyware software such as SpySweeper by
    Webroot (Current cost about $30 for a year --- great product imho), next
    Adaware SE by Majorgeeks is great, then Spybot Search and Destroy by
    Majorgeeks, then SpywareBlaster by Majorgeeks, then possibly CWShredder by
    Intermute (user has run into one difficulty with a false virus reading so use
    at your own risk), then an antivirus program like EZARMOR Antivirus, etc.
    The user also encourages the use of plain text reading in e-mail, the use of
    secure log-ins whenever possible, the use of strong passwords with numbers
    and symbols, the use of 128 bit encryption or better, etc. My favorite
    software firewalls have been ZA PRO. and Computer Associates EZARMOR Firewall
    which is based on an earlier version of ZA PRO. The problem with ZA PRO. has
    been the poor programming in the more current versions that have to do with
    tvdumpflags=10 in the autoexec.bat and this user has removed the second entry
    which does no harm but is put there in the user's opinion because of sloppy
    programming on ZoneAlarm Pro's support side. The user will maintain this
    current view until it is challenged and the user is shown to be wrong. The
    user then will greatfully accept the correction and procede to take note of
    the reason and procede with life. The problem of just a hardware firewall
    these days is easy access because of sloppy passwords ----- this happened to
    the user and the LinkSyS telephone number that the user got from Gary S.
    Terhune, MVP's grateful acknowledgement to another user allowed this
    intermediate user to fix his hardware firewall problems as well. The user
    now has a really complicated password on the LinkSyS settings but knows it is
    just a matter of time before someone cracks the 14+ character password
    randomly generated with numbers and symbols and that is why the user has a
    2nd software firewall with extra high security settings in ZA PRO. The user
    hopes Microsoft as a great and powerful company will be willing to release
    Internet Explorer 7 for 98SE as a goodwill gesture to this user as well as
    top users in Microsoft who also use 98SE as well as to the MVP's that use
    98SE. Have a nice day and I hope this post helps everyone a little bit.
    Please reply with all comments and the numerous mistakes that the user knows
    he makes but gladly accepts correction although this user has a bad belief
    and attitude at times this user is not so prideful to admit that he knows far
    less than top Microsoft people and the majority of MVP's here. This user is
    currently greatly missing posts by Hugh Candlin and Chris Quirke.

    "dee4477" <dee4477@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : i believe my windows 98 system has been infected...i am constantly getting
    : message as if my activex controls wont allow me to view pages...and also i
    : get an error message on start up "Error C:\\Windows\System\Thun32.dll...I
    : keep getting spyware messages that keep changing my home site....and also
    my
    : computer wont allow me to do any updates because it has an error that says
    : "missing export NTDll:NTShutdownSystem
    :
    :
    :

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
    > 2nd software firewall with extra high security settings in ZA PRO. The
    user
    > hopes Microsoft as a great and powerful company will be willing to release
    > Internet Explorer 7 for 98SE as a goodwill gesture to this user as well as
    > top users in Microsoft who also use 98SE as well as to the MVP's that use
    > 98SE. Have a nice day and I hope this post helps everyone a little bit.
    > Please reply with all comments and the numerous mistakes that the user
    knows
    > he makes but gladly accepts correction although this user has a bad belief
    > and attitude at times this user is not so prideful to admit that he knows
    far
    > less than top Microsoft people and the majority of MVP's here. This user
    is
    > currently greatly missing posts by Hugh Candlin and Chris Quirke.

    woah der lil' doggie......
    are you for real brother?
    dat sure was a mouth-ful, just got to figure out
    what was in your mouth at the time.
    whats a "user"? dont tell me its You!!
    i thought Users were intelligent people or spaced-out
    people, you must come inbetween somewhere.
    do you have a Master that you serve?
    is your master proud of you lil' doggie.

    Mr

    > "dee4477" <dee4477@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > : i believe my windows 98 system has been infected...i am constantly
    getting
    > : message as if my activex controls wont allow me to view pages...and also
    > : get an error message on start up "Error
    C:\\Windows\System\Thun32.dll...I
    > : keep getting spyware messages that keep changing my home site....and
    also
    > my
    > : computer wont allow me to do any updates because it has an error that
    says
    > : "missing export NTDll:NTShutdownSystem
    > :
    > :
    > :

Windows