toolbar descriptions editing question

I'm not sure what the area above the address bar is called i.e, where "file"
"edit" "view" "go" "favorites" 'help" etc. are at. Where in the registry
can I edit some of the line items descriptions inside these tabs? When I'm
in "internet explorer" and "outlook express" all of my line items are there
under these tabs, but when I'm in plain "windows98" for example, when I hit
"file" the first item has no description on it, just a "right arrow" and when
I click that, I can create a "new folder", I'm pretty sure it used to have a
description called "new folder". Another example is when I click "start"
"settings" "folder options" the third tab (1st one "general" 2nd one "view")
does not have a description on it. When I click I sometimes get an error
message on that one. WHERE CAN I GO, OR WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE EDITING
CORRECTIONS ON THESE VARIOUS AREAS IS MY QUESTION. Any help on this would be
greatly appreciated, thank you.
12 answers Last reply
More about toolbar descriptions editing question

    You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    so it is doubtful.

    New folder missing

    Restore NEW command
    http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new

    No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    and in general, you cannot edit such items.

    Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "mrbigbry"
    <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I'm not sure what the area above the address bar is called i.e, where "file"
    >"edit" "view" "go" "favorites" 'help" etc. are at. Where in the registry
    >can I edit some of the line items descriptions inside these tabs? When I'm
    >in "internet explorer" and "outlook express" all of my line items are there
    >under these tabs, but when I'm in plain "windows98" for example, when I hit
    >"file" the first item has no description on it, just a "right arrow" and when
    >I click that, I can create a "new folder", I'm pretty sure it used to have a
    >description called "new folder". Another example is when I click "start"
    >"settings" "folder options" the third tab (1st one "general" 2nd one "view")
    >does not have a description on it. When I click I sometimes get an error
    >message on that one. WHERE CAN I GO, OR WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE EDITING
    >CORRECTIONS ON THESE VARIOUS AREAS IS MY QUESTION. Any help on this would be
    >greatly appreciated, thank you.

    Hi Alan!!! :o)

    -
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    > the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    > so it is doubtful.
    >
    > New folder missing
    >
    > Restore NEW command
    > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    >
    > No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    > and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    >
    > Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "mrbigbry"
    > <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm not sure what the area above the address bar is called i.e, where
    >>"file"
    >>"edit" "view" "go" "favorites" 'help" etc. are at. Where in the registry
    >>can I edit some of the line items descriptions inside these tabs? When
    >>I'm
    >>in "internet explorer" and "outlook express" all of my line items are
    >>there
    >>under these tabs, but when I'm in plain "windows98" for example, when I
    >>hit
    >>"file" the first item has no description on it, just a "right arrow" and
    >>when
    >>I click that, I can create a "new folder", I'm pretty sure it used to have
    >>description called "new folder". Another example is when I click "start"
    >>"settings" "folder options" the third tab (1st one "general" 2nd one
    >>"view")
    >>does not have a description on it. When I click I sometimes get an error
    >>message on that one. WHERE CAN I GO, OR WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE EDITING
    >>CORRECTIONS ON THESE VARIOUS AREAS IS MY QUESTION. Any help on this would
    >>be
    >>greatly appreciated, thank you.

    YAY, Kelly posted here without a cross-link to XP newsgroup. Hi Kelly!!!
    :~)

    : Hi Alan!!! :o)
    :
    : -
    : In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    :
    : All the Best,
    : Kelly (MS-MVP)
    :
    : Troubleshooting Windows XP
    : http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    :
    :
    : "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    : news:i5n141p05oa92ng4off8meqslo2k6uvsgh@4ax.com...
    : > You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    : > the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    : > so it is doubtful.
    : >
    : > New folder missing
    : >
    : > Restore NEW command
    : > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    : >
    : > No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    : > and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    : >
    : > Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    : >
    : > ...Alan
    : >
    : > --
[...]

    <excitedly reading a now-rare reply by Kelly in win98>
    <sigh>...and here I thought you were going to have THE answer to the OP's problem,
    Kelly.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > Hi Alan!!! :o)
    >
    > -
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > > You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    > > the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    > > so it is doubtful.
    > >
    > > New folder missing
    > >
    > > Restore NEW command
    > > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    > >
    > > No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    > > and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    > >
    > > Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    > >
    > > ...Alan
    > >
    > > --
    > > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    > >
    > > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "mrbigbry"
    > > <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I'm not sure what the area above the address bar is called i.e, where
    > >>"file"
    > >>"edit" "view" "go" "favorites" 'help" etc. are at. Where in the registry
    > >>can I edit some of the line items descriptions inside these tabs? When
    > >>I'm
    > >>in "internet explorer" and "outlook express" all of my line items are
    > >>there
    > >>under these tabs, but when I'm in plain "windows98" for example, when I
    > >>hit
    > >>"file" the first item has no description on it, just a "right arrow" and
    > >>when
    > >>I click that, I can create a "new folder", I'm pretty sure it used to have
    > >>description called "new folder". Another example is when I click "start"
    > >>"settings" "folder options" the third tab (1st one "general" 2nd one
    > >>"view")
    > >>does not have a description on it. When I click I sometimes get an error
    > >>message on that one. WHERE CAN I GO, OR WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE EDITING
    > >>CORRECTIONS ON THESE VARIOUS AREAS IS MY QUESTION. Any help on this would
    > >>be
    > >>greatly appreciated, thank you.

    Good Point, Glen. <Sigh, greatly missing Kelly as well> We need a good girl
    around here to keep us guys in check at least in my opinion and who better
    than Kelly, MVP. (Hopeful Sly Smile) (HSS) ( :-)

    : <excitedly reading a now-rare reply by Kelly in win98>
    : <sigh>...and here I thought you were going to have THE answer to the OP's
    problem,
    : Kelly.
    : --
    : "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    : news:eoRcWJ3LFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    : > Hi Alan!!! :o)
    : >
    : > -
    : > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    : >
    : > All the Best,
    : > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    : >
    : > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    : > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    : >
    : >
    : > "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    : > news:i5n141p05oa92ng4off8meqslo2k6uvsgh@4ax.com...
    : > > You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    : > > the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    : > > so it is doubtful.
    : > >
    : > > New folder missing
    : > >
    : > > Restore NEW command
    : > > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    : > >
    : > > No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    : > > and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    : > >
    : > > Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    : > >
    : > > ...Alan
    : > >
    : > > --
[...]

    Double-hi, Kelly!!!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Hi Alan!!! :o)
    |
    | -
    | In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    |
    | All the Best,
    | Kelly (MS-MVP)
    |
    | Troubleshooting Windows XP
    | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    |

    | "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    | > You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    | > the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    | > so it is doubtful.
    | >
    | > New folder missing
    | >
    | > Restore NEW command
    | > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    | >
    | > No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    | > and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    | >
    | > Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    | >
    | > ...Alan
    | >
    | > --
    | > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    | > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    | >
    | > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "mrbigbry"
    | > <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | >
    | >>I'm not sure what the area above the address bar is called i.e,
    where
    | >>"file"
    | >>"edit" "view" "go" "favorites" 'help" etc. are at. Where in the
    registry
    | >>can I edit some of the line items descriptions inside these tabs?
    When
    | >>I'm
    | >>in "internet explorer" and "outlook express" all of my line items
    are
    | >>there
    | >>under these tabs, but when I'm in plain "windows98" for example,
    when I
    | >>hit
    | >>"file" the first item has no description on it, just a "right arrow"
    and
    | >>when
    | >>I click that, I can create a "new folder", I'm pretty sure it used
    to have
    | >>description called "new folder". Another example is when I click
    "start"
    | >>"settings" "folder options" the third tab (1st one "general" 2nd one
    | >>"view")
    | >>does not have a description on it. When I click I sometimes get an
    error
    | >>message on that one. WHERE CAN I GO, OR WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE
    EDITING
    | >>CORRECTIONS ON THESE VARIOUS AREAS IS MY QUESTION. Any help on this
    would
    | >>be
    | >>greatly appreciated, thank you.

    <LOL> Hi back, guys!!! :o)

    --

    "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]
    > : >>under these tabs, but when I'm in plain "windows98" for example, when
    > : >>hit
    > : >>"file" the first item has no description on it, just a "right arrow"
    > and
    > : >>when
    > : >>I click that, I can create a "new folder", I'm pretty sure it used to
    > have
    > : >>a
    > : >>description called "new folder". Another example is when I click
    > "start"
    > : >>"settings" "folder options" the third tab (1st one "general" 2nd one
    > : >>"view")
    > : >>does not have a description on it. When I click I sometimes get an
    > error
    > : >>message on that one. WHERE CAN I GO, OR WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE EDITING
    > : >>CORRECTIONS ON THESE VARIOUS AREAS IS MY QUESTION. Any help on this

    Hi Glen,

    If I had Win98 installed, I would be glad to help you guys. First place I
    would start would be:
    Start/Run/Regedit:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New\
    (Default)
    Value: {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

    --

    :o)

    --

    > Double-hi, Kelly!!!
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | Hi Alan!!! :o)
    > |
    > | -
    > | In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    > |
    > | All the Best,
    > | Kelly (MS-MVP)
    > |
    > | Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > |

    > | "Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    > | > You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    > | > the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    > | > so it is doubtful.
    > | >
    > | > New folder missing
    > | >
    > | > Restore NEW command
    > | > http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    > | >
    > | > No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    > | > and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    > | >
    > | > Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    > | >
    > | > ...Alan
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > | > http://dts-l.org/index.html

    > where
    > registry
    > When
    > are
    > when I
    > and
    > to have
    > "start"
    > error
    > EDITING
    > would

    Hi Sweet Kelly.
    Welcome!

    ....Alan

    --

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi Alan!!! :o)
    >
    >-
    >In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    >All the Best,
    >Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    >Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    >"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >> You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    >> the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    >> so it is doubtful.
    >>
    >> New folder missing
    >>
    >> Restore NEW command
    >> http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    >>
    >> No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    >> and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    >>
    >> Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    >>
    >> ...Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "mrbigbry"
    >> <mrbigbry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm not sure what the area above the address bar is called i.e, where
    >>>"file"
    >>>"edit" "view" "go" "favorites" 'help" etc. are at. Where in the registry
    >>>can I edit some of the line items descriptions inside these tabs? When
    >>>I'm
    >>>in "internet explorer" and "outlook express" all of my line items are
    >>>there
    >>>under these tabs, but when I'm in plain "windows98" for example, when I
    >>>hit
    >>>"file" the first item has no description on it, just a "right arrow" and
    >>>when
    >>>I click that, I can create a "new folder", I'm pretty sure it used to have
    >>>description called "new folder". Another example is when I click "start"
    >>>"settings" "folder options" the third tab (1st one "general" 2nd one
    >>>"view")
    >>>does not have a description on it. When I click I sometimes get an error
    >>>message on that one. WHERE CAN I GO, OR WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE EDITING
    >>>CORRECTIONS ON THESE VARIOUS AREAS IS MY QUESTION. Any help on this would
    >>>be
    >>>greatly appreciated, thank you.

    Thank you, Alan. XOXO

    --

    > Hi Sweet Kelly.
    > Welcome!
    >
    > ...Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Alan!!! :o)
    >>
    >>-
    >>In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >>All the Best,
    >>Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >>Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
    >>> You might try the fix for a missing "New folder" and see if it gets
    >>> the description back, though the .reg file does not have that in it,
    >>> so it is doubtful.
    >>>
    >>> New folder missing
    >>>
    >>> Restore NEW command
    >>> http://aumha.org/regfiles.php#new
    >>>
    >>> No idea how to get the third tab of "File Types" back at this stage
    >>> and in general, you cannot edit such items.
    >>>
    >>> Let us know the results of the New Folder fix.
    >>>
    >>> ...Alan
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

    :-).

    --
    | :o)
    |
    | --
    | In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    |
    | All the Best,
    | Kelly (MS-MVP)
    |
    | Troubleshooting Windows XP
    | http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    | > Double-hi, Kelly!!!
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | > | Hi Alan!!! :o)
    | > |
    | > | -
    | > | In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol:
    http://www.dts-l.org/
    | > |
    | > | All the Best,
    | > | Kelly (MS-MVP)