Popups on startup

I ran Microsoft Antispyware and it found about 20 infected files. After
removing them through the spyware wizard, it rebooted the computer and
now every time the computer starts up I get three messages saying it
cannot find a certain file or components of the file. The three files
are:

C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
C:\Program

Anyone seen this before? I'm really not very computer literate.

"skaggsbs" <brianss15@aol.com> wrote in message
> I ran Microsoft Antispyware and it found about 20 infected files. After
> removing them through the spyware wizard, it rebooted the computer and
> now every time the computer starts up I get three messages saying it
> cannot find a certain file or components of the file. The three files
> are:
>
> C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe
> C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
> C:\Program

1. This is common. "Malware" commonly has
two components. #1 is an EXE file that does something
you want, #2 is a bogus Windows Registry entry that
calls (starts) the bad EXE file. Many removal routines
delete #1 components but leave #2 file calls behind.
So you get the error message that Registry (or a
startup routine) tried and failed to EXEcute this file.

2. But if the PC otherwise runs OK the error
messages are no more than a reminder to clear
out the #2 file calls when you get around to it.

3. Beware posting to public newsgroups like this
with your true email address, which merely invites
spam and bogus emails. You can alter your
email (sender's) address to avoid this.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Use msconfig to disable programs loading a startup. Start->run->msconfig

"skaggsbs" wrote:

> I ran Microsoft Antispyware and it found about 20 infected files. After
> removing them through the spyware wizard, it rebooted the computer and
> now every time the computer starts up I get three messages saying it
> cannot find a certain file or components of the file. The three files
> are:
>
> C:\PROGRA~1\Toolbar\TBPS.exe
> C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\WinTools\WToolsA.exe
> C:\Program
>
> Anyone seen this before? I'm really not very computer literate.

First, I would like to know how you ran Microsoft AntiSpyware on your Windows 98
computer, when it requires Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 in order
to run.

Re: Wintools\WToolsA.exe, have a look here:
PC Hell: How to Remove WinTools (Huntbar variant):
http://www.pchell.com/support/wintools.shtml

For both WinToolsA and TBPS.exe, see here:
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/HuntBar.html

I suggest that you download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder *other than* your Desktop or the Temp folder, double-click
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" they ask you to complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm