print win explorer list??

Win 98se

I'll try and explain what my wife is wanting to do.!!

She has a folder with "several" files in it.
She would like to print a list of those files, just the name of file, and I
can't figure out how to do it.

Ex: In Win Explorer, she clicks on a folder in left pane(c:\photos) and
would like to print the list of files/photo names that are in the right
pane.

Hope this makes sense.

L.

Also another thing I've noticed on her system. When she go to open a folder
(file/open) in a program (word, paintshop,etc.etc.) the files are not
arranged alphabetically. how?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:Oi7Yya$LFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
L/P <ofallon1232000@yahoo.com> had this to say:

> Win 98se
>
> I'll try and explain what my wife is wanting to do.!!
>
> She has a folder with "several" files in it.
> She would like to print a list of those files, just the name of file,
> and I can't figure out how to do it.
>
> Ex: In Win Explorer, she clicks on a folder in left pane(c:\photos)
> and would like to print the list of files/photo names that are in the
> right pane.
>
> Hope this makes sense.
>
> L.
>
> Also another thing I've noticed on her system. When she go to open a
> folder (file/open) in a program (word, paintshop,etc.etc.) the files
> are not arranged alphabetically. how?

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=print+folder+contents+freeware

There's a billion and three of 'em... Well, maybe not that many... Someone
may have a specific recommendation but I try to avoid recommending software
by name unless I've used it and in this case I haven't.

Galen

"L/P" <ofallon1232000@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> She has a folder with "several" files in it.
> She would like to print a list of those files, just the name of file, and
> can't figure out how to do it.
>
> Ex: In Win Explorer, she clicks on a folder in left pane(c:\photos) and
> would like to print the list of files/photo names that are in the right
> pane.

1 At a DOS prompt do
DIR /?
to get a list of all parameters available
(e.g. sort by filename, sort by date etc.)

2 DIR > LIST.TXT
will print to a file named LIST.TXT (in the
default directory) whatever came up by DIR.
This can then be edited and printed as you please.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Thanks.

"L/P" <ofallon1232000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oi7Yya$LFHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

> Win 98se
>
> I'll try and explain what my wife is wanting to do.!!
>
> She has a folder with "several" files in it.
> She would like to print a list of those files, just the name of file, and I can't figure out how to do it.
>
> Ex: In Win Explorer, she clicks on a folder in left pane(c:\photos) and would like to print the list of files/photo names that
> are in the right pane.

Open a DOS prompt and enter

dir /b c:\photos > prn

If that doesn't work (it should), do

dir /b c:\photos > c:\photos\list.txt

Open that file in notepad and print it there.

Remove the /b option if you want size, date, etc..
dir /?
to see a list of options.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23sNOGPAMFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Don Phillipson <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> had this to say:

> 1 At a DOS prompt do
> DIR /?
> to get a list of all parameters available
> (e.g. sort by filename, sort by date etc.)
>
> 2 DIR > LIST.TXT
> will print to a file named LIST.TXT (in the
> default directory) whatever came up by DIR.
> This can then be edited and printed as you please.

You know, in all the years that I've used a computer and Windows 98 I've
never heard of that. I've run the /? at every possible instance and NEVER
noticed that. Each day that passes I learn something new or the day is
wasted. Thank you for the new tip. For ages and ages I've pointed people to
a third party utility for this. Much appreciated and I'll HOPEFULLY remember
that.

Galen

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:21:44 -0600, "L/P" <ofallon1232000@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Win 98se
>
>I'll try and explain what my wife is wanting to do.!!
>
>She has a folder with "several" files in it.
>She would like to print a list of those files, just the name of file, and I
>can't figure out how to do it.
>
>Ex: In Win Explorer, she clicks on a folder in left pane(c:\photos) and
>would like to print the list of files/photo names that are in the right
>pane.
>
>Hope this makes sense.

Try this, although some utilities may do it better. From a post by
JoeB, 2/2003 in another group and modified.

To add the print directory feature to Windows Explorer, follow these
steps:

1. Open Notepad, and then copy and paste the following text into
Notepad:

@echo off
dir %1 /-p /o /a:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
del "%temp%\Listing"
exit
________________________________
Note: In her case if you just want the bare format (no heading
information, Dos short names or summary) use this for line 2:
dir %1 /-p /b /o /a:gn > "%temp%\Listing"

2. Save the file as Print.bat in the Windows directory, and then
close Notepad.
3. Start Windows Explorer, click Tools, and then click Folder
Options.
4. Click the File Types tab, and then click File Folder.
5. Click Edit, and then click New.
6. In the Action box, type Print Directory Listing.
7. In Application used to perform action, click Print.bat, and then
click OK.
8. Click OK, click Apply, and then click OK.
9. Open Windows Explorer, right-click the folder that you would like
to print a directory listing of, and then click Print Directory
Listing.

You can edit print.bat to suit. From Dos enter Dir /? to see the
options. The switches in line 2 that you can add to or change are
these:
/-p /o /a

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

There is a freebie program called "printfolder" that may do what you want
too.

Bill Watt wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:21:44 -0600, "L/P" <ofallon1232000@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Win 98se
>>
>> I'll try and explain what my wife is wanting to do.!!
>>
>> She has a folder with "several" files in it.
>> She would like to print a list of those files, just the name of file, and
>> can't figure out how to do it.
>>
>> Ex: In Win Explorer, she clicks on a folder in left pane(c:\photos) and
>> would like to print the list of files/photo names that are in the right
>> pane.
>>
>> Hope this makes sense.
>

> Try this, although some utilities may do it better. From a post by
> JoeB, 2/2003 in another group and modified.
>
> To add the print directory feature to Windows Explorer, follow these
> steps:
>
> 1. Open Notepad, and then copy and paste the following text into
> Notepad:
>
> @echo off
> dir %1 /-p /o /a:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
> start /w notepad /p "%temp%\Listing"
> del "%temp%\Listing"
> exit
> ________________________________
> Note: In her case if you just want the bare format (no heading
> information, Dos short names or summary) use this for line 2:
> dir %1 /-p /b /o /a:gn > "%temp%\Listing"
>
> 2. Save the file as Print.bat in the Windows directory, and then
> close Notepad.
> 3. Start Windows Explorer, click Tools, and then click Folder
> Options.
> 4. Click the File Types tab, and then click File Folder.
> 5. Click Edit, and then click New.
> 6. In the Action box, type Print Directory Listing.
> 7. In Application used to perform action, click Print.bat, and then
> click OK.
> 8. Click OK, click Apply, and then click OK.
> 9. Open Windows Explorer, right-click the folder that you would like
> to print a directory listing of, and then click Print Directory
> Listing.
>
> You can edit print.bat to suit. From Dos enter Dir /? to see the
> options. The switches in line 2 that you can add to or change are
> these:
> /-p /o /a
>
> Regards,
>
> Bill Watt
> Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

Since you have Paint Shop, you can easily make a jpg screen capture of any
part of Windows Explorer and it will look just like the interface she is
trying to work with.

L/P wrote:
> Win 98se
>
> I'll try and explain what my wife is wanting to do.!!
>
> She has a folder with "several" files in it.
> She would like to print a list of those files, just the name of file,
> and I can't figure out how to do it.
>
> Ex: In Win Explorer, she clicks on a folder in left pane(c:\photos)
> and would like to print the list of files/photo names that are in the
> right pane.
>
> Hope this makes sense.
>
> L.
>
> Also another thing I've noticed on her system. When she go to open a
> folder (file/open) in a program (word, paintshop,etc.etc.) the files
> are not arranged alphabetically. how?

kelly

Hi Galen,

Each one, teach one? :eek:)

In addition to what has already been mentioned:

How to Add the Print Directory Feature to Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q272/6/23.asp

Print the names, and other information, of all folders and files on your
computer. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.html

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

> In news:%23sNOGPAMFHA.2704@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Don Phillipson <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> had this to say:

>> 1 At a DOS prompt do
>> DIR /?
>> to get a list of all parameters available
>> (e.g. sort by filename, sort by date etc.)
>>
>> 2 DIR > LIST.TXT
>> will print to a file named LIST.TXT (in the
>> default directory) whatever came up by DIR.
>> This can then be edited and printed as you please.
>
> You know, in all the years that I've used a computer and Windows 98 I've
> never heard of that. I've run the /? at every possible instance and NEVER
> noticed that. Each day that passes I learn something new or the day is
> wasted. Thank you for the new tip. For ages and ages I've pointed people
> to a third party utility for this. Much appreciated and I'll HOPEFULLY
> remember that.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:evXp99DMFHA.3356@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

> Hi Galen,
>
> Each one, teach one? :eek:)
>
> In addition to what has already been mentioned:
>
> How to Add the Print Directory Feature to Windows Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q272/6/23.asp
>
> Print the names, and other information, of all folders and files on
> your computer. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.html

LOL How ironic? I'd just pointed a user to Karen's stuff earlier today (her
cookie viewer) and completely forgotten about her print directory app ;) God
she's great. No chance of malware from her. I can recommend her any time.
Freeware for learning's sake. That sort of stuff. Bleh... You know me ;) If
I'm not learning I'm not happy and if I'm not happy I'm not helping. I will
(I mean this) wait for an answer that satisfies me, why shouldn't I? After
all it was you who showed me that an OP might come back and ask for more
information and that the reasonable expectation was a response from the
people who'd answered the first time. See? Now I can blame all the late
nights on you, Pepsi, and Mark... *nods* Well, I can blame a couple on John
too if you'd like to spread the blame around a bit.

Galen

I like Treeprint myself, when you r-click it gives you options including how
many levels deep to go into the folder.

-gary