Promise Controller Card

I'm running a Promise 100 TX2 on a W98 OEM Pll 450. I've never hooked up the
HDD LED. MOBO IDE 1 & 2 are running optical drives, therefore the HDD
activity light shows optical activity. The HDD's are on the card. My MOBO is
a Tabor ll 440 BX and my documentation does not show me pinouts for the
front panel headers. I can figure that one out by tracing the wire to the
LED. The question is about the header on the card. It is a 4 pin header
labeled IDE LED 1 and the right most pin labeled #1. The front panel
activity light is a 2 wire affair if I'm not mistaken. Immediately to the
right of the front panel header on the MOBO is another 2 pin header labeled
SCZI LED. To get HDD activity on the front panel do I unplug the HDD LED
connector from the MOBO and connect it to pins 1 & 2 of the card...or do I
connect it to the SCZI header? Also, is the 3rd & 4th pin on the card for a
second activity light? The Promise site offers no help in this regard. I'm
sure this one is simple but your help is appreciated.

TIA,
DTV

On most SCSI controllers pins 1 and 4 are for LED output, 2 and 3 are either
ground or not connected.

* In fond memory ... Alex, you shall be sorely missed
* http://www.aumha.org/alex.htm

"Satellite Man" <nojob@breadline.net> wrote in message
> I'm running a Promise 100 TX2 on a W98 OEM Pll 450. I've never hooked up
> the
> HDD LED. MOBO IDE 1 & 2 are running optical drives, therefore the HDD
> activity light shows optical activity. The HDD's are on the card. My MOBO
> is
> a Tabor ll 440 BX and my documentation does not show me pinouts for the
> front panel headers. I can figure that one out by tracing the wire to the
> LED. The question is about the header on the card. It is a 4 pin header
> labeled IDE LED 1 and the right most pin labeled #1. The front panel
> activity light is a 2 wire affair if I'm not mistaken. Immediately to the
> right of the front panel header on the MOBO is another 2 pin header
> labeled
> SCZI LED. To get HDD activity on the front panel do I unplug the HDD LED
> connector from the MOBO and connect it to pins 1 & 2 of the card...or do I
> connect it to the SCZI header? Also, is the 3rd & 4th pin on the card for
> second activity light? The Promise site offers no help in this regard. I'm
> sure this one is simple but your help is appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> DTV

You want to know what pinouts you plug in the HDD LED activity indicators to
on a Promise Ultra TX2 card.

There are two sets of these pinouts on the Promise card, and adjacent to
each other. This makes four (4) pins. The ide actvity LED wire is
two-wire cable. That explains where. You can reverse the polarity on this,
and LED simply won't work. Just turn the reverse the two wire connection.
Each 2 wire pinout set is governd by activity of two ide units on the
Promise card. Promise card Ide connections 1 and 2 drive the first pinout,
and Ide connections 3 and 4 drive the second pinout. What hard drives are
connected to 1, 2, 3, and 4 are noted on the Promise Bios summary during the
boot routine.

Your MOBO (motherboard) evidently has an onboard SCSI controller, and has
nothing to do with this. And is only a distraction to the post. It wll not
indicate activity on the Promise controller. However, if you have attached
SCSI devices, connecting the two wire LED indicator to this header will
indicate activity of such SCSI devices.

Page 5 (Acrobat reader page 9) instructs how to connect the LED wire to the
the Promise card.
http://www.promise.com/support/file/manual/Ultra100_TX2_manual_En.pdf

"Satellite Man" <nojob@breadline.net> wrote in message
> I'm running a Promise 100 TX2 on a W98 OEM Pll 450. I've never hooked up
the
> HDD LED. MOBO IDE 1 & 2 are running optical drives, therefore the HDD
> activity light shows optical activity. The HDD's are on the card. My MOBO
is
> a Tabor ll 440 BX and my documentation does not show me pinouts for the
> front panel headers. I can figure that one out by tracing the wire to the
> LED. The question is about the header on the card. It is a 4 pin header
> labeled IDE LED 1 and the right most pin labeled #1. The front panel
> activity light is a 2 wire affair if I'm not mistaken. Immediately to the
> right of the front panel header on the MOBO is another 2 pin header
labeled
> SCZI LED. To get HDD activity on the front panel do I unplug the HDD LED
> connector from the MOBO and connect it to pins 1 & 2 of the card...or do I
> connect it to the SCZI header? Also, is the 3rd & 4th pin on the card for
> second activity light? The Promise site offers no help in this regard. I'm
> sure this one is simple but your help is appreciated.
>
> TIA,
> DTV

"Satellite Man" <nojob@breadline.net> wrote in message
> I'm running a Promise 100 TX2 on a W98 OEM Pll 450. I've never hooked up
> the HDD LED. MOBO IDE 1 & 2 are running optical drives, therefore the HDD
> activity light shows optical activity. The HDD's are on the card. My MOBO
> is a Tabor ll 440 BX and my documentation does not show me pinouts for the
> front panel headers. I can figure that one out by tracing the wire to the
> LED. The question is about the header on the card. It is a 4 pin header
> labeled IDE LED 1 and the right most pin labeled #1. The front panel
> activity light is a 2 wire affair if I'm not mistaken. Immediately to the
> right of the front panel header on the MOBO is another 2 pin header labeled
> SCZI LED. To get HDD activity on the front panel do I unplug the HDD LED
> connector from the MOBO and connect it to pins 1 & 2 of the card...or do I

You would take the two wires from the front panel LED and plug them directly
into the controller card which of its 1 tru 4 pins you plug them into either
1&2 or 3&4 (but not 2&3 or 1&4 since they are connected together as
duplicates and so even if you did plug it that way it's harmless since it
only goes to itself)

It does not matter the polarity of which of the 2 wires of the LED go where,
since any light bulb filaments are non-polarized.

Yes the extra pair of pins are for an extra LED.

Rick

"Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
> "Satellite Man" <nojob@breadline.net> wrote in message
> > I'm running a Promise 100 TX2 on a W98 OEM Pll 450. I've never hooked up
> > the HDD LED. MOBO IDE 1 & 2 are running optical drives, therefore the
HDD
> > activity light shows optical activity. The HDD's are on the card. My
MOBO
> > is a Tabor ll 440 BX and my documentation does not show me pinouts for
the
> > front panel headers. I can figure that one out by tracing the wire to
the
> > LED. The question is about the header on the card. It is a 4 pin header
> > labeled IDE LED 1 and the right most pin labeled #1. The front panel
> > activity light is a 2 wire affair if I'm not mistaken. Immediately to
the
> > right of the front panel header on the MOBO is another 2 pin header
labeled
> > SCZI LED. To get HDD activity on the front panel do I unplug the HDD LED
> > connector from the MOBO and connect it to pins 1 & 2 of the card...or do
>

> You would take the two wires from the front panel LED and plug them
directly
> into the controller card which of its 1 tru 4 pins you plug them into
either
> 1&2 or 3&4 (but not 2&3 or 1&4 since they are connected together as
> duplicates and so even if you did plug it that way it's harmless since it
> only goes to itself)
>
> It does not matter the polarity of which of the 2 wires of the LED go
where,
> since any light bulb filaments are non-polarized.

LEDs, light emitting diodes, ---require--- proper polarization connections.
Otherwise, they will not work/light up if the wiring is reveresed.

I have a custom-made (self-made) panel on the front of my PC. The panel has
two LEDs. One for my Promise controller, and the other for an add-on SCSI
controller. I fabricated the wiring to leftover connectors for this. Have
also built many a PC. In all cases, the polarization rule is/was true for
LEDs.

See the work "diode" and how it works on google. The LED has the same
polarity rule as a diode.

> Yes the extra pair of pins are for an extra LED.
>
> Rick
>
> > connect it to the SCZI header? Also, is the 3rd & 4th pin on the card
for a
> > second activity light? The Promise site offers no help in this regard.
I'm
> > sure this one is simple but your help is appreciated.
> >
> > TIA,
> > DTV

Lil' Dave wrote:
[...]

> LEDs, light emitting diodes, ---require--- proper polarization connections.
> Otherwise, they will not work/light up if the wiring is reversed.

Yes you are correct Dave and my apologies for making that polarization
mistake in my above post.

I reached down on two different boxes in front of me with different promise
cards on them and reversed the cards LED plug on each.. ..and admit I was
temporally surprised when booting them the LED did not work on both units,
and then I instantly realized my error of what I said.

I'm well aware of diodes and their polarities and have been a licensed
electronic repair technician starting in 1973 in Conn. ..and have replaced
hundreds of all kinds of diodes in my days in everything from a to z.
Having said that I'm a bit embarrassed of the misstatement I made in that
post ...to err is human I guess. I had a lapse in memory yesterday where I
had temporary forgotten that an LED is actually a diode of it's own kind
(light emitting) ..and still therefore falls under the same rules as all
diodes and do have polarity requirements, and is not a regular filament as I
referred to yesterday.

On these Promise made cards the red wire needs to be connected to the
outside pins either 1 or 4; the other wire to the inside pins 2 or 3. (fwiw
pins 2 & 3 are not 'ground' connections in these circuits)

Again my apology.

Rick

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> You would take the two wires from the front panel LED and plug them
> directly into the controller card which of its 1 tru 4 pins you plug them
> into either 1&2 or 3&4 (but not 2&3 or 1&4 since they are connected
> together as duplicates and so even if you did plug it that way it's
> harmless since it only goes to itself)
>
> It does not matter the polarity of which of the 2 wires of the LED go
> where, since any light bulb filaments are non-polarized.

My sincere apologies for my incorrect above statement about LED's
polarization - and realize yes LED's do have polarity requirements.

On the Promise or Maxtor Controller Cards the red wire of the LED needs to be
connected on the outside (either pins 1 or 4) of the card, and the other wire
(I see it can be black or white) ..goes on the inside of either pins 2 or 3.

Rick

> Yes the extra pair of pins are for an extra LED.
>
> Rick

No apology required. Just didn't want folks to anticipate what you
originally said, and I find their LED was not working. When, in fact,
nothing was wrong except it was wired backwards.

Some LED wiring is not color-coded. Some may have a stripe to indicate the
negative end. Some may have nothing on either wire. The obvious solution
is to simply reverse the wiring connection at the activation connector on
the board. Reversed connections will not damage the LED.

Lil' Dave wrote:
> No apology required. Just didn't want folks to anticipate what you
> originally said, and I find their LED was not working. When, in fact,
> nothing was wrong except it was wired backwards.

Thanks Dave,
I'm glad you pointed it out for that very reason, and for me to fix it.

> Some LED wiring is not color-coded. Some may have a stripe to indicate
> the negative end. Some may have nothing on either wire. The obvious

On the promise cards I can see they use red, and then black & white. I
realize though as you said the other millions of other led's in other
circuits that use whatever colors of wires are available. You know, last
night I thought about it and of all the diodes I've replaced in my career,
whether signal diodes in rf circuits, or zener diodes in their circuits, and
of course mostly rectifiers in power supply situations - but I just can't
remember ever having to change an led because it had gone bad yet..
oh well but just a tidbit I realized.

Anyway, thanks again.

Rick

> solution is to simply reverse the wiring connection at the activation
> connector on the board. Reversed connections will not damage the LED.
> "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
>> Lil' Dave wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> > LEDs, light emitting diodes, ---require--- proper polarization
>> > connections. Otherwise, they will not work/light up if the wiring is
>> > reversed.
>>
>> Yes you are correct Dave and my apologies for making that polarization
>> mistake in my above post.
>>
>> I reached down on two different boxes in front of me with different
>> promise cards on them and reversed the cards LED plug on each.. ..and
>> admit I was temporally surprised when booting them the LED did not work
>> on both units, and then I instantly realized my error of what I said.
>>
>> I'm well aware of diodes and their polarities and have been a licensed
>> electronic repair technician starting in 1973 in Conn. ..and have replaced

>> hundreds of all kinds of diodes in my days in everything from a to z.
>> Having said that I'm a bit embarrassed of the misstatement I made in that
>> post ...to err is human I guess. I had a lapse in memory yesterday where
>> I had temporary forgotten that an LED is actually a diode of it's own kind
>> (light emitting) ..and still therefore falls under the same rules as all
>> diodes and do have polarity requirements, and is not a regular filament
>> as I referred to yesterday.
>>
>> On these Promise made cards the red wire needs to be connected to the
>> outside pins either 1 or 4; the other wire to the inside pins 2 or 3.
>> (fwiw pins 2 & 3 are not 'ground' connections in these circuits)
>>
>> Again my apology.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> > I have a custom-made (self-made) panel on the front of my PC. The panel
>> > has two LEDs. One for my Promise controller, and the other for an
>> > add-on SCSI controller. I fabricated the wiring to leftover connectors
>> > for this. Have also built many a PC. In all cases, the polarization
>> > rule is/was true for LEDs.
>> >
>> > See the work "diode" and how it works on google. The LED has the same
>> > polarity rule as a diode.

Good info.

What I was saying is the wiring from the LED in a PC case may not be color
coded in any manner. Or for that matter, have no indication of what is
negative or positive. No stripes, dots, or whatever on either wire. Just
two black wires. I know its common in the electronics field to color code,
or stripe/dot code wires if polariity is an issue. But, the PC case makers
way of thinkng is the builder can simply reverse the wires for operability
if needed. Thus, they can just use one color wire.

Since one does not know the polarity requirement on the LED end in this case
(both black wires), it matters not if you know the polarity of the connector
on controller card.. You can determine the polarity of the wiring by
backtracking to the LED. But, in most cases, the LED is too well hidden and
takes much dismantling of the PC case to find it. So, swapping the wires is
the fastest, easiest way to do the installation as needed.

I do have one very minor issue/irritation. The Promise controller card that
I have seems to have bleed by voltage. That is, its dimly lit when not
active. I tried other LEDs with the same result. Its also a comes and goes
thing. It is not always present, but is present more often than not.. The
dimness of the LED varies over a lengthy period of time as well, but never
as bright as when active.. The scsi controller card does not have this
issue. Oh well, the Promise card does it job. So will just live with it.

Lil' Dave wrote:
> Good info.
>
> What I was saying is the wiring from the LED in a PC case may not be color
> coded in any manner. Or for that matter, have no indication of what is
> negative or positive. No stripes, dots, or whatever on either wire. Just
> two black wires. I know its common in the electronics field to color code,
> or stripe/dot code wires if polariity is an issue. But, the PC case makers
> way of thinkng is the builder can simply reverse the wires for operability
> if needed. Thus, they can just use one color wire.

Understood and I agree.
I was just pointing out to the OP about the Promise or Promise/Maxtor made
cards that I've seen use red and then black or white which correlates with
the standard, but you're right anyone can use any or no colors on those and
so as you say go by what works since no harm is done.

> Since one does not know the polarity requirement on the LED end in this
> case (both black wires), it matters not if you know the polarity of the
> connector on controller card.. You can determine the polarity of the
> wiring by backtracking to the LED. But, in most cases, the LED is too
> well hidden and takes much dismantling of the PC case to find it. So,
> swapping the wires is the fastest, easiest way to do the installation as
> needed.

Yes agreed.
Also LED's or any diodes polarity can be determined by using a regular VOM,
where checking resistance is aprox 15 ohms vrs infinity on standard diodes,
where others have different reading less than infinity but the aprox 15 ohms
indicates the banded side of the diode. Actually the simple way we always
tested in the field to see if a rectifier was bad or not was just to use the
simple resistance check 'front to back' to instantly tell 'on the fly' if it
was any good or not. 15/inf was the norm.

> I do have one very minor issue/irritation. The Promise controller card
> that I have seems to have bleed by voltage. That is, its dimly lit when
> not active. I tried other LEDs with the same result. Its also a comes
> and goes thing. It is not always present, but is present more often than
> not.. The dimness of the LED varies over a lengthy period of time as
> well, but never as bright as when active.. The scsi controller card does
> not have this issue. Oh well, the Promise card does it job. So will just
> live with it.

Yes I always noticed 'very slight' changes of brightness even when I was not
physically performing functions at all, but always surmised since the LED is
only activated (lighted) by current flow, which is proportionately related to
CPU activity where it gets it from, and since there is always some sort of
various minor activity of different software's polling happening when it's
on - and so just surmised that particular brightness (current flow) is what
represents that small reading.

Although at the moment, looking down at both different towers running in
front of me, both running different controller cards even, either boxes LED
are dark and not even dimly lit while I am still and not pushing any keys;
but of course the moment I initiate activity then they come alive.

Rick

Thanks much for your input guys. Before I posted (originally) I viewed the
manual in .pdf. For some odd reason the manual was a different version than
the link you provided and did not have the page regarding the LED pinout.
Could have been an Acrobat issue. At any rate, this prompted me to post
stating the Promise site had no support of the issue. I updated Acrobat and
now I get the same page you linked to...oh well. This was good information
for newbies reading the thread and I as well appreciated your sincerity. I
especially took note of the "bleed by voltage" phenomenon. No harsh
treatment for such a basic issue. One more thing...the obvious problem is
the length of the LED header wire. Any links to hardware supply sites for
this sort of item would be appreciated. NewEgg had nothing. Anyway, thanks
again for your assistance!

HAGD,
DTV