To those troubleshooting Kb891711

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 24, 2005 11:57:35 AM

I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause of the mal
behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this update
when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed Microsoft
..Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as required by
the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest program
like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal exception. I
removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything returned
to normal.

Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.

Don Kirkpatrick
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:04:32 PM

What (4) updates were those?
kb891711 was the last shown for me.
I also have .Net 1.1sp1.
Thanks
--
mae

"Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
| I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause of the
mal
| behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this update
| when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed Microsoft
| .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as required by
| the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
program
| like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal exception. I
| removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
returned
| to normal.
|
| Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
|
| Don Kirkpatrick

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:04:33 PM

At the time, it didn't seem like noting which updates were being applied was
important. I now regret not noting exactly which were applied. One was a
cumulative service pack for Explorer and one was an MDAC 2.6 update. I do
not remember what the other two were. My system was up-to-date until I added
the .Net 1.1 update, then these other four poped up as needed. I do remeber
that the total download size for the four was 13 Meg.

Is there a way I can get update install dates so I can better answer your
question?

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
news:o jNP$uJMFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> What (4) updates were those?
> kb891711 was the last shown for me.
> I also have .Net 1.1sp1.
> Thanks
> --
> mae
>

> "Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
> | I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause of the
> mal
> | behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this
> update
> | when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
> Microsoft
> | .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as required
> by
> | the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
> program
> | like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal exception.
> | removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
> returned
> | to normal.
> |
> | Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
> |
> | Don Kirkpatrick

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 3:04:34 PM

> At the time, it didn't seem like noting which updates were being applied
was
> important. I now regret not noting exactly which were applied. One was a
> cumulative service pack for Explorer and one was an MDAC 2.6 update. I do
> not remember what the other two were. My system was up-to-date until I
added
> the .Net 1.1 update, then these other four poped up as needed. I do
remeber
> that the total download size for the four was 13 Meg.
>
> Is there a way I can get update install dates so I can better answer your
> question?

Run Windows Update.

In the left pane, it should offer you the ability to
"View installation history".
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 4:35:20 PM

I before I installed .net framework 1.1, the machine was up-to-date. After I
installed .net, the following four critical updates were flagged as
required. They were all downloaded and installed at the same time.

Kb837009
.net framework 1.1 service pack 1
Q329414 (MDAC 2.6)
Security update MSXML 2.6

No issues arose during download and install.

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
news:o jNP$uJMFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> What (4) updates were those?
> kb891711 was the last shown for me.
> I also have .Net 1.1sp1.
> Thanks
> --
> mae
>

> "Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
> | I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause of the
> mal
> | behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this
> update
> | when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
> Microsoft
> | .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as required
> by
> | the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
> program
> | like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal exception.
> | removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
> returned
> | to normal.
> |
> | Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
> |
> | Don Kirkpatrick

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 8:29:15 PM

Naturally, we have all heard of machines that do work with Kb891711
installed. We have heard of those that don't, like mine. It is a
novelty, though, to hear of one that once did work but has stopped! (But
I have no advice for you. Be patient, maybe, as some have reported the
odor of MS brains hard at work in the air. Take a sniff!)

I don't know. Try an un/re-install of it. If it works for you, I'll go
next!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| I before I installed .net framework 1.1, the machine was up-to-date.
After I
| installed .net, the following four critical updates were flagged as
| required. They were all downloaded and installed at the same time.
|
| Kb837009
| .net framework 1.1 service pack 1
| Q329414 (MDAC 2.6)
| Security update MSXML 2.6
|
| No issues arose during download and install.
|

| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| news:o jNP$uJMFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > What (4) updates were those?
| > kb891711 was the last shown for me.
| > I also have .Net 1.1sp1.
| > Thanks
| > --
| > mae
| >

| > "Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
| > | I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause
of the
| > mal
| > | behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed
this
| > update
| > | when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
| > Microsoft
| > | .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as
required
| > by
| > | the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the
simplest
| > program
| > | like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal
exception.
| > | removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
| > returned
| > | to normal.
| > |
| > | Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
| > |
| > | Don Kirkpatrick
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:41:55 PM

Don, I've received a request from the team that's working on the
KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
been reported thus far.

(According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
out onto the internet.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
> I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause of
the mal
> behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this
update
> when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
Microsoft
> .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as
required by
> the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
program
> like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal
exception. I
> removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
returned
> to normal.
>
> Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
>
> Don Kirkpatrick

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 11:13:21 PM

Thank you, thought I had missed something but I had previously installed
those.

09/14/04 .Net Framework 1.1 sp1
04/13/04 Kb837009
11/20/02 Q329414 --
02/13/02 Security update MSXML
--
mae

"Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
| I before I installed .net framework 1.1, the machine was up-to-date. After
| installed .net, the following four critical updates were flagged as
| required. They were all downloaded and installed at the same time.
|
| Kb837009
| .net framework 1.1 service pack 1
| Q329414 (MDAC 2.6)
| Security update MSXML 2.6
|
| No issues arose during download and install.
|

| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| news:o jNP$uJMFHA.4092@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > What (4) updates were those?
| > kb891711 was the last shown for me.
| > I also have .Net 1.1sp1.
| > Thanks
| > --
| > mae
| >

| > "Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
| > | I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause of
the
| > mal
| > | behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this
| > update
| > | when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
| > Microsoft
| > | .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as
required
| > by
| > | the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
| > program
| > | like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal
exception.
| > | removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
| > returned
| > | to normal.
| > |
| > | Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
| > |
| > | Don Kirkpatrick
| > |
| > |

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:57:59 AM

I wish I could reply to you in private, as what I have to say is not good.
The results of calling this number was a total waste of time. The lady I
talked with was oblivious to the Kb891711 problem and the existence of any
special team. She did not want to talk with me at all. The best I can offer
is to have you forward this Kb891711 thread to the team and, if they wish,
they can contact me. I'm more than willing to supply any information I have.

Don Kirkpatrick

> Don, I've received a request from the team that's working on the
> KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had problems
> with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can help
> them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
> problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not yet
> received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than has
> been reported thus far.
>
> (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
> were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to just
> uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
> affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
> patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before journeying
> out onto the internet.)
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
>> I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause of
> the mal
>> behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this
> update
>> when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
> Microsoft
>> .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as
> required by
>> the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
> program
>> like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal
> exception. I
>> removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
> returned
>> to normal.
>>
>> Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
>>
>> Don Kirkpatrick

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 12:43:16 PM

I was afraid of that. I *knew* I should have waited for assurances
before passing along that request! I will forward your comments and your
invitation (which is incredibly gracious under the circumstances.) The
email addy I use for posting is a real one, if you still want to
correspond in private.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> I wish I could reply to you in private, as what I have to say is not
good.
> The results of calling this number was a total waste of time. The lady
> talked with was oblivious to the Kb891711 problem and the existence of
any
> special team. She did not want to talk with me at all. The best I can
offer
> is to have you forward this Kb891711 thread to the team and, if they
wish,
> they can contact me. I'm more than willing to supply any information I
have.

> Don Kirkpatrick

> > Don, I've received a request from the team that's working on the
> > KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had
problems
> > with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can
help
> > them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
> > problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not
yet
> > received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than
has
> > been reported thus far.
> >
> > (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
> > were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to
just
> > uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
> > affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
> > patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before
journeying
> > out onto the internet.)
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
> >> I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause
of
> > the mal
> >> behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this
> > update
> >> when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
> > Microsoft
> >> .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as
> > required by
> >> the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
> > program
> >> like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal
> > exception. I
> >> removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
> > returned
> >> to normal.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
> >>
> >> Don Kirkpatrick

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:45:05 PM

Don, please email me at grystnews@mvps.org. Need some info from you that
should remain private. (I'm also trying your address as listed below.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
> I wish I could reply to you in private, as what I have to say is not
good.
> The results of calling this number was a total waste of time. The lady
> talked with was oblivious to the Kb891711 problem and the existence of
any
> special team. She did not want to talk with me at all. The best I can
offer
> is to have you forward this Kb891711 thread to the team and, if they
wish,
> they can contact me. I'm more than willing to supply any information I
have.

> Don Kirkpatrick

> > Don, I've received a request from the team that's working on the
> > KB891711 issue. They would like everyone in the USA who has had
problems
> > with KB891711 to call 1-866-PCSafety (1-866-727-2338). If you can
help
> > them with some info, they say they're close to reproducing the
> > problem--first step toward solving it. I have asked for, though not
yet
> > received, assurances that callers will be taken more seriously than
has
> > been reported thus far.
> >
> > (According to at least a couple of people, when they called PSS they
> > were told that KB891711 wasn't a critical problem on Win98 and to
just
> > uninstall it. KB891711 deals with a very *serious* vulnerability,
> > affecting pretty much all Windows systems, and anyone who can't get
> > patched decently should don at *least* a dozen condoms before
journeying
> > out onto the internet.)
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Don Kirkpatrick" <donald.c.kirkpatrick@tek.com> wrote in message
> >> I have another data point to aid you in your search for the cause
of
> > the mal
> >> behavior of this critical update. Running Win98SE, I installed this
> > update
> >> when it was first issued - no problems. Last night, I installed
> > Microsoft
> >> .Net 1.1 and the four critical updates that were identified as
> > required by
> >> the Microsoft update site. The system barely ran. Even the simplest
> > program
> >> like filemon gave me the BSOD and regmon resulted in a fatal
> > exception. I
> >> removed Kb891711 from startup, but not the machine, and everything
> > returned
> >> to normal.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps those working to solve the Kb891711 mystery.
> >>
> >> Don Kirkpatrick

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 9:25:03 PM

The latest from MS:

"Microsoft has received reports about issues with KB891711 on Windows
98,
Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. At this point, we have been able to
confirm these reports and are currently working on a resolution.

"Please note that by uninstalling the current update, the machine will
return to a vulnerable state. At this point, we are currently not aware
of customer's being exploited by way of the vulnerability fixed in
MS05-002 on Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME. If you need
additional assistance regarding this update, please contact +1 (866)
PCSAFETY."

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User