Backing up my entire C drive with CD's

How can I back up my ENTIRE C DRIVE with multiple CD's. I do not have my
original program disks so I need the entire drive.
I have Windows 98 (NOT SE).
14 answers Last reply
More about backing entire drive

    Us e a third party imaging app such as Norton Ghost. I believe BootIt NG will
    image the disk as well.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I back up my ENTIRE C DRIVE with multiple CD's. I do not have my
    > original program disks so I need the entire drive.
    > I have Windows 98 (NOT SE).

    Once you have a functioning system, especially one close to a clean
    install, do a full system backup. If you have multiple partitions, I
    guess a backup is a bit more complex. It depends upon the ties between
    the Registry & the other partitions, as to whether they must be backed
    up concurrently. Also, if you've changed the hardware since the backup,
    you may need to change it back before a restore.

    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
    http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/home.html Extended Operating System Loader
    http://powerquest.com/driveimage/ Drive Image
    http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
    http://www.arjsoftware.com ARJ Archiver
    http://www.betterbackup.com/ Retrospect CD Backup
    http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
    capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
    downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
    Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
    dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
    install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CD R/W Backup
    http://www.cyberiapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
    http://www.han-soft.com/habt.php Auto Backup (30-day free trial)
    http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swdl.pl?c=co105&i=co105en&p=hpcdwriter2
    Simple Backup
    http://www.karenware.com/ PtReplicator (Free)
    http://www.lifesaverbackup.com/
    http://www.mvps.org/links.html Should have good info
    http://www.pcmag.com/ Lots & lots of sturdy downloads. There is a $20
    yearly charge now.
    http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
    http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
    http://www.rescue-me.net/gold.html
    http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/58307.shtml Backups
    http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump_details.phtml?stp Backup MyPC
    http://www.thirdstar.net/thirdstar_datarecovery.htm Data recovery
    http://www.tomsterdam.com/ BU process, performance, etc.
    http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
    http://www.veritas.com Backup apps
    http://www.xxcopy.com/ Detailed Procedure Copy (Free)
    http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

    All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully
    and verify all is well. After making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it.
    If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore it and do a
    Scandisk/Defrag.

    http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
    http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

    Those last two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
    that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
    report/two & one that was so-so.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | How can I back up my ENTIRE C DRIVE with multiple CD's. I do not have
    my
    | original program disks so I need the entire drive.
    | I have Windows 98 (NOT SE).

    Backups, and what they didn't tell you.
    Backups imply restorability of that backup.

    Bear in mind that an image backup have two restore types. One type can be
    restored from a windows or dos environment that you boot from your PCs hard
    drive. The other may require use of a restoration boot disk, or Windows PE
    boot disk, or the original boot CD provide by the backup software
    manufacturer. Typically, windows 98 cannot be restored in its own
    environment.

    File-system oriented backups have similar constraints.

    So, you will be in an environment that you're not used to, A..K.A. window
    98, when restoring windows 98.

    Backing up windows 98 is not big deal, its the restoration that stops many
    people.

    If you go beyond a few CDs, due to the size of the backup, I suggest using
    another hard drive for that purpose instead. Or, a DVD-writer. Check the
    size of your used space, divide by 1/2, then divide by 650 MB to roughly
    determine the number of CDRs/CDRWs you'll need. A GB is 1024 MB for
    reference, for this purpose. 4 CDs is stretching it. Check the backup
    program's accessibility to a DVD-writer for restoration purposes (ignore any
    backup access). Remember, you won't be in windows 98. Same for a USB or
    Firewire connected device like a hard drive or DVD-writer. Since you're not
    using SE, you probably don't have such a device and can't use such anyway.
    The only other option is a ide hard drive or ide DVD-writer.. There's no
    point backing it up, if you can't restore it.

    The even more scary part is you should test the restoration after you've
    done the backup. This will destroy what you have on your PC at the moment.
    If that fails, you have nothing. But, you won't know until you try it.
    Waiting until your system fails is not the best way to do this. This is one
    of the reasons why people have multiple partitions and/or multiple hard
    drives. They put their personal data on another partition and/or hard
    drive. A botched windows 98 restore will not destroy their personal data.

    DriveImage is no longer available, Powerquest is gone. Symantec bought them
    out. Symantec's only existing backup program, Ghost 9.0, will not work in
    Windows anything but XP. TrueImage by Acronis would be my first choice for
    your purposes. DriveImage 7.0 CD has DriveImage 2002 on it. DI 2002 has
    worked well for me for two years running. Use Google to find a vendor for
    "DriveImage 7.0", or check your local software store. DI 7.0 works okay in
    XP, so you can use that if you move up to a newer PC.

    In news:E4D7CA23-457D-47A7-8D19-20C2214F1107@microsoft.com,
    DD <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > How can I back up my ENTIRE C DRIVE with multiple CD's. I do not
    > have my original program disks so I need the entire drive.
    > I have Windows 98 (NOT SE).

    I'd not recommend that. Instead buy a second hard drive, install it as a
    slave, and ghost the main drive. This can be done for free (except the HDD)
    with this utility:

    http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

    It's MUCH more reliable than backups to CD/DVD... It's easier... It's, well,
    just the way to go. HDDs are dirt cheap and you probably have someone nearby
    with an old PC that will simply let you have the HDD if you don't already
    have one.

    Galen

    OK, I've removed...
    http://powerquest.com/driveimage/
    ....from there, as it seems not to exist. Thanks.

    --
> [...]
    |
    | DriveImage is no longer available, Powerquest is gone. Symantec
    bought them
    | out. Symantec's only existing backup program, Ghost 9.0, will not
    work in
    | Windows anything but XP. TrueImage by Acronis would be my first
    choice for
    | your purposes. DriveImage 7.0 CD has DriveImage 2002 on it. DI 2002
    has
    | worked well for me for two years running. Use Google to find a vendor
    for
    | "DriveImage 7.0", or check your local software store. DI 7.0 works
    okay in
    | XP, so you can use that if you move up to a newer PC.
    | "DD" <DD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > How can I back up my ENTIRE C DRIVE with multiple CD's. I do not
    have my
    | > original program disks so I need the entire drive.

    The particular lnk you're using is dead in the water.
    http://www.powerquest.com/ webpage was revised by Symantec indicating they
    now own that company and its software products. There's links on that page
    for particular previous software products. Last I heard, Symantec was still
    supporting these products. Although some they may not be selling anymore at
    their webstore, DI 7.0 being one of them. There is very little apparent
    difference between DI 7.0 and Ghost 9.0's graphical user interface.

    I botched some info. Ghost 9.0 works in Win2K, not just XP.

    Symantec's ftp site has an update for DI 7.0, it brings it up to 7.03
    version. Don't know what it fixes. PQ had an update to 7.01 before their
    company was bought out. This only applies to XP. I've been using DI 7.0
    without problems on XP without applying any version updates.

    Your weblink intentions were to provide information regarding the last
    working form of DriveImage that works with Windows 98. That was DI 2002,
    a.k.a. DI 6.0. And, again, that was available on the installation CD for DI
    7.0.

    > OK, I've removed...
    > http://powerquest.com/driveimage/
    > ...from there, as it seems not to exist. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net

    Hmm. Anyway, I must drop DI from my list. It no longer meets my strict
    standard that it must exist. I wasn't always that strict, but Glee
    pounced on me recently for a similar matter!

    --
    | The particular lnk you're using is dead in the water.
    | http://www.powerquest.com/ webpage was revised by Symantec indicating
    they
    | now own that company and its software products. There's links on that
    page
    | for particular previous software products. Last I heard, Symantec was
    still
    | supporting these products. Although some they may not be selling
    anymore at
    | their webstore, DI 7.0 being one of them. There is very little
    apparent
    | difference between DI 7.0 and Ghost 9.0's graphical user interface.
    |
    | I botched some info. Ghost 9.0 works in Win2K, not just XP.
    |
    | Symantec's ftp site has an update for DI 7.0, it brings it up to 7.03
    | version. Don't know what it fixes. PQ had an update to 7.01 before
    their
    | company was bought out. This only applies to XP. I've been using DI
    7.0
    | without problems on XP without applying any version updates.
    |
    | Your weblink intentions were to provide information regarding the last
    | working form of DriveImage that works with Windows 98. That was DI
    2002,
    | a.k.a. DI 6.0. And, again, that was available on the installation CD
    for DI
    | 7.0.

    | > OK, I've removed...
    | > http://powerquest.com/driveimage/
    | > ...from there, as it seems not to exist. Thanks.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net

    DI 2002 (6.0) still exiists on the DI 7.0 installation CD. Powerquest sold
    it that way when introducing DI 7.0 to the public. DI 7.0 is supported by
    Symantec, but not sold on their store website. The DI 7.0 installation CD
    is still available for public consumption.

    I don't know what "strict standard" this doesn't meet.. But I do recommend
    to those using both XP and 98, or just 98 alone to get DI 7.0 for use of DI
    2002. DI 7.0 and DI 6.0 (2002) are well worth the money for dual XP/98
    users.

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > DI 2002 (6.0) still exiists on the DI 7.0 installation CD. Powerquest sold

    I've always loved to use DriveImage from day one up to but not including v7
    (which for v7 only because I never wanted to install NET is all) I have v6
    (2002) but for some reason my all time favorite is v5.01 just because it kept
    the original GUI and also leaves out a few gadgets that v6 gives besides the
    GUI change that I never got used to, besides that v5.01 and v6 operationally
    are identical.

    Anyway I only jumped in to say hi here since you mentioned you like DI and I
    always did too but just the older versions. These days I also prefer to use
    the slightly earlier version of TrueImage v6.0.350 for 99% of my needs now
    since it's superior in some ways otherwise, but I still exclusively use DI
    v5.01 when it comes to doing Disk to Disk functions just because besides
    cutting my teeth on that app and am so used to using it for that, I think
    it's very very simple to use for that one function as compared to any
    versions of TI.. I like the older version mentioned of TI as compared to
    their fancy new GUI'd versions for the same reason as I do of the older
    version of DI ..which is the simplicity of the program before they added
    extra frills that didn't help the bottom line of what I needed done. Guess
    I may be a bit old fashion or fussy liking certain older programs than newer
    ones in that way since I seek out simplicity rather than marketing gadgets;
    although admittedly the newer version of each do offer more options it's just
    that I don't need them. Guess I've always been slow to change when what I
    have works so well - then why change it.

    Just talking outloud here and didn't mean to break in, but I noticed some of
    your posts recently Dave talking/helping others with partition imaging and
    was happy to see you are an avid imager too. I am very 'in to' partition
    imaging, and use it constantly with what I do.

    Rick

    > it that way when introducing DI 7.0 to the public. DI 7.0 is supported by
    > Symantec, but not sold on their store website. The DI 7.0 installation CD
    > is still available for public consumption.
    >
    > I don't know what "strict standard" this doesn't meet.. But I do recommend
    > to those using both XP and 98, or just 98 alone to get DI 7.0 for use of DI
    > 2002. DI 7.0 and DI 6.0 (2002) are well worth the money for dual XP/98
    > users.
    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    >> Hmm. Anyway, I must drop DI from my list. It no longer meets my strict
    >> standard that it must exist. I wasn't always that strict, but Glee
    >> pounced on me recently for a similar matter!
    >>

    >> --
    >> Thanks or Good Luck,
    >> There may be humor in this post, and,
    >> Naturally, you will not sue,
    >> should things get worse after this,
    >> PCR
    >> pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >> "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >> | The particular lnk you're using is dead in the water.
    >> | http://www.powerquest.com/ webpage was revised by Symantec indicating
    >> | they now own that company and its software products. There's links on
    >> | that page for particular previous software products. Last I heard,
    >> | Symantec was still supporting these products. Although some they may
    >> | not be selling anymore at their webstore, DI 7.0 being one of them.
    >> | There is very little apparent difference between DI 7.0 and Ghost 9.0's
    >> | graphical user interface.
    >> |
    >> | I botched some info. Ghost 9.0 works in Win2K, not just XP.
    >> |
    >> | Symantec's ftp site has an update for DI 7.0, it brings it up to 7.03
    >> | version. Don't know what it fixes. PQ had an update to 7.01 before
    >> | their company was bought out. This only applies to XP. I've been
    >> | using DI 7.0 without problems on XP without applying any version
    >> | updates.
    >> |
    >> | Your weblink intentions were to provide information regarding the last
    >> | working form of DriveImage that works with Windows 98. That was DI
    >> | 2002, a.k.a. DI 6.0. And, again, that was available on the
    >> | installation CD for DI
    >> | 7.0.
    >> |
    >> | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    I see you & Chauvin like DI, the earlier versions. But the URL in my
    post doesn't get to it. So I must drop it to avoid serious complaint &
    lawsuits, my lawyers have said, not to mention Glee.

    --
    | DI 2002 (6.0) still exiists on the DI 7.0 installation CD. Powerquest
    sold
    | it that way when introducing DI 7.0 to the public. DI 7.0 is
    supported by
    | Symantec, but not sold on their store website. The DI 7.0
    installation CD
    | is still available for public consumption.
    |
    | I don't know what "strict standard" this doesn't meet.. But I do
    recommend
    | to those using both XP and 98, or just 98 alone to get DI 7.0 for use
    of DI
    | 2002. DI 7.0 and DI 6.0 (2002) are well worth the money for dual
    XP/98
    | users.
    | > Hmm. Anyway, I must drop DI from my list. It no longer meets my
    strict
    | > standard that it must exist. I wasn't always that strict, but Glee
    | > pounced on me recently for a similar matter!
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    | > | The particular lnk you're using is dead in the water.
    | > | http://www.powerquest.com/ webpage was revised by Symantec
    indicating
    | > they
    | > | now own that company and its software products. There's links on
    that
    | > page
    | > | for particular previous software products. Last I heard, Symantec
    was
    | > still
    | > | supporting these products. Although some they may not be selling
    | > anymore at
    | > | their webstore, DI 7.0 being one of them. There is very little
    | > apparent
    | > | difference between DI 7.0 and Ghost 9.0's graphical user
    interface.
    | > |
    | > | I botched some info. Ghost 9.0 works in Win2K, not just XP.
    | > |
    | > | Symantec's ftp site has an update for DI 7.0, it brings it up to
    7.03
    | > | version. Don't know what it fixes. PQ had an update to 7.01
    before
    | > their
    | > | company was bought out. This only applies to XP. I've been using
    DI
    | > 7.0
    | > | without problems on XP without applying any version updates.
    | > |
    | > | Your weblink intentions were to provide information regarding the
    last
    | > | working form of DriveImage that works with Windows 98. That was
    DI
    | > 2002,
    | > | a.k.a. DI 6.0. And, again, that was available on the installation
    CD
    | > for DI
    | > | 7.0.
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message

    | > |
    | > |

    PCR wrote:
    > I see you & Chauvin like DI, the earlier versions. But the URL in my
    > post doesn't get to it. So I must drop it to avoid serious complaint &
    > lawsuits, my lawyers have said, not to mention Glee.

    <smile>

    Well yes but only for certain things do I use DI - otherwise it's TI.

    What complaints did you get? ..where's the link to it? ..or are you funin'

    Rick

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >| DI 2002 (6.0) still exiists on the DI 7.0 installation CD. Powerquest
    >| sold it that way when introducing DI 7.0 to the public. DI 7.0 is
    >| supported by Symantec, but not sold on their store website. The DI 7.0
    >| installation CD is still available for public consumption.
    >|
    >| I don't know what "strict standard" this doesn't meet.. But I do
    >| recommend to those using both XP and 98, or just 98 alone to get DI 7.0
    >| for use of DI 2002. DI 7.0 and DI 6.0 (2002) are well worth the money
    >| for dual XP/98 users.
    >| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    >| > Hmm. Anyway, I must drop DI from my list. It no longer meets my strict
    >| > standard that it must exist. I wasn't always that strict, but Glee
    >| > pounced on me recently for a similar matter!
    >| >

    >| > --
    >| > Thanks or Good Luck,
    >| > There may be humor in this post, and,
    >| > Naturally, you will not sue,
    >| > should things get worse after this,
    >| > PCR
    >| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >| > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >| > |
    >| > |
    >| > |
    >| > |

    That's in this thread.

    I'm always funin', BUT...

    (a) Glee did object once when I reposted a list of URLs he had
    collected, saying I should click them first (for some reason).

    (b) The link I had was...
    http://powerquest.com/driveimage/ Drive Image
    It is removed, because it doesn't exist any longer.

    (c) And for the other you mention...
    http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
    ....which IS an actual site; so I've retained it.

    --
    "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | PCR wrote:
    | > I see you & Chauvin like DI, the earlier versions. But the URL in my
    | > post doesn't get to it. So I must drop it to avoid serious complaint
    &
    | > lawsuits, my lawyers have said, not to mention Glee.
    |
    | <smile>
    |
    | Well yes but only for certain things do I use DI - otherwise it's TI.
    |
    | What complaints did you get? ..where's the link to it? ..or are you
    funin'

    | Rick
    |

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    | >| DI 2002 (6.0) still exiists on the DI 7.0 installation CD.
    Powerquest
    | >| sold it that way when introducing DI 7.0 to the public. DI 7.0 is
    | >| supported by Symantec, but not sold on their store website. The DI
    7.0
    | >| installation CD is still available for public consumption.
    | >|
    | >| I don't know what "strict standard" this doesn't meet.. But I do
    | >| recommend to those using both XP and 98, or just 98 alone to get DI
    7.0
    | >| for use of DI 2002. DI 7.0 and DI 6.0 (2002) are well worth the
    money
    | >| for dual XP/98 users.
    | >| "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    Glee

    | >| > |
    | >| > |
    | >| > |
    | >| > |

    Okay I see now, thank you sir.

    good day,
    Rick

    PCR wrote:
    > That's in this thread.
    >
    > I'm always funin', BUT...
    >
    > (a) Glee did object once when I reposted a list of URLs he had
    > collected, saying I should click them first (for some reason).
    >
    > (b) The link I had was...
    > http://powerquest.com/driveimage/ Drive Image
    > It is removed, because it doesn't exist any longer.
    >
    > (c) And for the other you mention...
    > http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
    > ...which IS an actual site; so I've retained it.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    >| PCR wrote:
    >| > I see you & Chauvin like DI, the earlier versions. But the URL in my
    >| > post doesn't get to it. So I must drop it to avoid serious complaint &
    >| > lawsuits, my lawyers have said, not to mention Glee.
    >|
    >| <smile>
    >|
    >| Well yes but only for certain things do I use DI - otherwise it's TI.
    >|
    >| What complaints did you get? ..where's the link to it? ..or are you
    >| funin'
    >|
    >| Rick
    >|

    >| > --
    >| > Thanks or Good Luck,
    >| > There may be humor in this post, and,
    >| > Naturally, you will not sue,
    >| > should things get worse after this,
    >| > PCR
    >| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    >| > "Lil' Dave" <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >| >|

    >| >| > |
    >| >| > |
    >| >| > |
    >| >| > |

    You are welcome. (I think Glee might 'a been drunk.)

    --
    | Okay I see now, thank you sir.
    |
    | good day,
    | Rick
    |

    | PCR wrote:
    | > That's in this thread.
    | >
    | > I'm always funin', BUT...
    | >
    | > (a) Glee did object once when I reposted a list of URLs he had
    | > collected, saying I should click them first (for some reason).
    | >
    | > (b) The link I had was...
    | > http://powerquest.com/driveimage/ Drive Image
    | > It is removed, because it doesn't exist any longer.
    | >
    | > (c) And for the other you mention...
    | > http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
    | > ...which IS an actual site; so I've retained it.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Rick Chauvin" <justask@nospamz.com> wrote in message
    | >|
    | >| <smile>
    | >|
    | >| Well yes but only for certain things do I use DI - otherwise it's
    TI.
    | >|
    | >| What complaints did you get? ..where's the link to it? ..or are
    you
    | >| funin'
    | >|
    | >| Rick