HELP-I lost my Windows98 Desktop/Icons ...

I have Win98. Upon booting my PC, I see the Microsoft Windows screen and it
runs some programs, then displays the following error:

Invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 015f:00401f31"

I have lost my Windows 98 desktop/icons.

These are the actions I've taken, all with no results of recovering my Win98
desktop via MS-DOS prompt comands:

1. entered 'scanreg /restore' and selected last cab file before i got
subject error.

2. entered 'edit c:\windows\system.ini' and changed 'shell=explorer.exe' to
'shell=progman.exe.' checked Program Manager window, and there were no
programs listed. selected 'ie6setup.exe' but didn't launch. selected
'iexplore.exe' but didn't launch. i checked the properties of both files and
their sizes are intact and normal. i then checked my memory on my PC and it
was normal.

3. entered 'edit c:\windows\system.ini' and changed 'shell=explorer.exe' to
'shell=winfile.exe.' repeated steps in #2 above.

4. since my CD drive was already broken, i bought a replacement, connected
the new CD drive to my PC, then upon booting, got this error:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.

5. I went to www.bootdisk.com and created start up diskette for Win98
(OEM). Booted PC with start up diskette and got messages:

Windows98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT 32
partition. The drive may need to be partitioned. To create a partiction on
the drive, run FDISK from the MS-DOS command prompt.

The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive C.

(There were 2 other messages about "You may be using third-party
disk-partitioning software, etc........ and something about a virus may ....
-- nothing that seemed directed at my PC specifically, appeared to be very
general statements).

any suggestions?

Thanks!

It's upsetting that you cannot boot the Startup Diskette. Do you know
whether you are running a drive "overlay", such as EasyBIOS? Anyway...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;296211&Product=w98
Invalid Page Fault in Module Explorer.exe
(296211) - After you upgrade your Juno software, or download and install
Juno Web, you receive an error message similar to the following:
Explorer.exe caused an invalid page fault in explorer.exe at 0157F:
00401F31

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"tgregg99" <tgregg99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I have Win98. Upon booting my PC, I see the Microsoft Windows screen
and it
| runs some programs, then displays the following error:
|
| Invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 015f:00401f31"
|
| I have lost my Windows 98 desktop/icons.
|
| These are the actions I've taken, all with no results of recovering my
Win98
| desktop via MS-DOS prompt comands:
|
| 1. entered 'scanreg /restore' and selected last cab file before i got
| subject error.
|
| 2. entered 'edit c:\windows\system.ini' and changed
'shell=explorer.exe' to
| 'shell=progman.exe.' checked Program Manager window, and there were
no
| programs listed. selected 'ie6setup.exe' but didn't launch. selected
| 'iexplore.exe' but didn't launch. i checked the properties of both
files and
| their sizes are intact and normal. i then checked my memory on my PC
and it
| was normal.
|
| 3. entered 'edit c:\windows\system.ini' and changed
'shell=explorer.exe' to
| 'shell=winfile.exe.' repeated steps in #2 above.
|
| 4. since my CD drive was already broken, i bought a replacement,
connected
| the new CD drive to my PC, then upon booting, got this error:
|
| DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
|
| 5. I went to www.bootdisk.com and created start up diskette for Win98
| (OEM). Booted PC with start up diskette and got messages:
|
| Windows98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or
FAT 32
| partition. The drive may need to be partitioned. To create a
partiction on
| the drive, run FDISK from the MS-DOS command prompt.
|
| The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive C.
|
| (There were 2 other messages about "You may be using third-party
| disk-partitioning software, etc........ and something about a virus
may ....
| -- nothing that seemed directed at my PC specifically, appeared to be
very
| general statements).
|
| any suggestions?
|
| Thanks!

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:AD9DA2CE-8B1C-4467-9A5C-CF78DE661B0E@microsoft.com,
tgregg99 <tgregg99@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have Win98. Upon booting my PC, I see the Microsoft Windows screen
> and it runs some programs, then displays the following error:
>
> Invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at 015f:00401f31"
>
> I have lost my Windows 98 desktop/icons.
>
> These are the actions I've taken, all with no results of recovering
> my Win98 desktop via MS-DOS prompt comands:
>
> 1. entered 'scanreg /restore' and selected last cab file before i got
> subject error.
>
> 2. entered 'edit c:\windows\system.ini' and changed
> 'shell=explorer.exe' to 'shell=progman.exe.' checked Program
> Manager window, and there were no programs listed. selected
> 'ie6setup.exe' but didn't launch. selected 'iexplore.exe' but didn't
> launch. i checked the properties of both files and their sizes are
> intact and normal. i then checked my memory on my PC and it was
> normal.
>
> 3. entered 'edit c:\windows\system.ini' and changed
> 'shell=explorer.exe' to 'shell=winfile.exe.' repeated steps in #2
> above.
>
> 4. since my CD drive was already broken, i bought a replacement,
> connected the new CD drive to my PC, then upon booting, got this
> error:
>
> DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.
>
> 5. I went to www.bootdisk.com and created start up diskette for Win98
> (OEM). Booted PC with start up diskette and got messages:
>
> Windows98 has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or
> FAT 32 partition. The drive may need to be partitioned. To create a
> partiction on the drive, run FDISK from the MS-DOS command prompt.
>
> The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive C.
>
> (There were 2 other messages about "You may be using third-party
> disk-partitioning software, etc........ and something about a virus
> may .... -- nothing that seemed directed at my PC specifically,
> appeared to be very general statements).
>
> any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!

I don't have a good suggestion. In fact you'll probably hate my suggestion.
After reading your message I'd recommend that you fdisk your drive, create
your logical partition at 100% capacity. I'd then boot with CD support and
insert the CD. I'd change to the D: drive (or will it be E:?) and run the
setup. I always hate telling people that reformat is the option that they
have but in this case I'm not so sure that I see any other viable options.

Hmm... Silly question... You stated that you'd inserted a new drive and now
the HDD isn't being recognized according to your post. (Doesn't contain a
valid FAT or FAT32 partition...)

*thinks*

Is the CD on it's own IDE or is it set as a slave to the HDD? If it's on the
same cable are the jumpers set to slave? If it's on it's own cable is it set
to master? In the process did you knock one of the ribbon cables (I'm
assuming you've got ribbon cables as opposed to the slim round cables also
offered for IDE and I'm guessing you don't have SATA or SCSI) loose? Why not
check those things first before trying the whole format routine? I really
hate to tell people to reformat and when re-reading your post it made me
more inclined to think hardware misconfiguration might indeed be the first
trouble you're having at this point and that you'd not even be able to
reformat perhaps.

When you enter your BIOS setup utility, do you have both the CD and the HDD
listed? Click on auto and then hit enter usually or press the F3 button
often to enable it to auto-detect them. Let's start there and see what sort
of critters we can dig up.

Galen

Galen,

> Is the CD on it's own IDE or is it set as a slave to the HDD? If it's on the
> same cable are the jumpers set to slave? If it's on it's own cable is it set
> to master? In the process did you knock one of the ribbon cables (I'm
> assuming you've got ribbon cables as opposed to the slim round cables also
> offered for IDE and I'm guessing you don't have SATA or SCSI) loose? Why not
> check those things first before trying the whole format routine? I really
> hate to tell people to reformat and when re-reading your post it made me
> more inclined to think hardware misconfiguration might indeed be the first
> trouble you're having at this point and that you'd not even be able to
> reformat perhaps.

My CD drive has a wide ribbon cable connector and a short power connector.
Those are the only 2 connectors I belive are required. My old CD drive broke
years ago and I never replaced it until last week.

Therefore, regarding your statement ...

> Is the CD on it's own IDE or is it set as a slave to the HDD? If it's on the
> same cable are the jumpers set to slave? If it's on it's own cable is it set
> to master?

How do I know this, what can I do, what should I do?

I discovered the only way i can bypass the 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM
DISK AND PRESS ENTER' message is to unplug power connector on new CD drive so
i can get to Program Manger via MS-DOS prompt command to change system.ini
file 'shell=explorer.exe' to 'shell=progman.exe' and rebooting. MY CD drive
door opens and i see the yellow light working but I cannot get far enough to
even use the CD drive due to the above 'DISK BOOT FAILURE ...' message.

Thanks!
Terry

>When you enter your BIOS setup utility, do you have both the CD and the HDD
>listed? Click on auto and then hit enter usually or press the F3 button
>often to enable it to auto-detect them. Let's start there and see what sort
>of critters we can dig up.

How do I enter my BIOS setup utility?

"Galen" wrote:

> [...]
> offered for IDE and I'm guessing you don't have SATA or SCSI) loose? Why not
> check those things first before trying the whole format routine? I really
> hate to tell people to reformat and when re-reading your post it made me
> more inclined to think hardware misconfiguration might indeed be the first
> trouble you're having at this point and that you'd not even be able to
> reformat perhaps.
>
> When you enter your BIOS setup utility, do you have both the CD and the HDD
> listed? Click on auto and then hit enter usually or press the F3 button
> often to enable it to auto-detect them. Let's start there and see what sort
> of critters we can dig up.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

snip
PCR has posted with some options for entering the BIOS Setup, which depends on the
brand of computer and/or BIOS being used. Before you do that, though, check the
cabling and jumpers, as that sounds the most likely problem,and messing the BIOS
Setup when you have not been there before can be daunting at best, dangerous at
worst.
See inline below.....

> My CD drive has a wide ribbon cable connector and a short power connector.
> Those are the only 2 connectors I belive are required. My old CD drive broke
> years ago and I never replaced it until last week.
> Therefore, regarding your statement ...
> > Is the CD on it's own IDE or is it set as a slave to the HDD? If it's on the
> > same cable are the jumpers set to slave? If it's on it's own cable is it set
> > to master?
>
> How do I know this, what can I do, what should I do?

Follow the wide cable (the data cable) from the back of the CD drive to the
motherboard. On the cable there may be another connector that is attached to the
hard drive.....if that is the case, the two drives are sharing one cable, and the CD
drive jumper *must* be set to the Slave position.
Find the hard drive and follow the data cable from the back of it......is it a
different cable than the one attached to the CD drive, or is it the same cable,
being shared?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> [...]
> > offered for IDE and I'm guessing you don't have SATA or SCSI) loose? Why not
> > check those things first before trying the whole format routine? I really
> > hate to tell people to reformat and when re-reading your post it made me
> > more inclined to think hardware misconfiguration might indeed be the first
> > trouble you're having at this point and that you'd not even be able to
> > reformat perhaps.
> >
> > When you enter your BIOS setup utility, do you have both the CD and the HDD
> > listed? Click on auto and then hit enter usually or press the F3 button
> > often to enable it to auto-detect them. Let's start there and see what sort
> > of critters we can dig up.
> >
> > Galen
> > --
> > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

PCR/glee .. reply to your last 2 posts:

my CD ribbon cable connects at the hard drive then continues (same cable) to
the motherboard. so i assume it's a 'slave', 2 drives sharing one cable,
correct?

that said, what did you mean '..the CD drive jumper *must* be set to the
Slave position.' what is jumper, and what is 'set' mean here, what do i set,
and where do i set it?

i can get to my BIOS Features Setup utility by hitting the Del key upon
booting. I can change the boot sequence from C,A to A,C .. but haven't tried
re-booting with flooppy bootsdisk yet, as i'm having to re-write the DOS
versions of Windows 98 from www.bootdisk.com from remote location/PC as I'm
writing this. I downloaded both 'OEM' and 'Custom, No Ramdrive' versions, as
I don't know which I have. I did not download (ie., not yet, unless I need
to) the Win98 SE version as I don't see SE specified anywhere on my Windows
screens/help. So I'll try changing the boot sequent to A,C and rebooting
with floppy when I get home and report results.

also, on the BIOS Features Setup utility screen, there are F5 key for 'Old
Values,' F6 key for 'Load Bios Defaul,' and F7 key for 'Load Setup Default.'
What should I have set before saving and exiting?

I do not see 'CD' listed on the BIOs setup. I don't see an 'auto' as you
mentioned - what do you mean, where is 'auto'? I pressed F3 to auto-detect
as you mentioned but that did nothing.

Here are some settings on BIOS setup, please advise what I should set:

HDD Sequence - SCSI/IDE First

Boot Sequence - C,A (I will change this to A,C and reboot with boot disk
when i get home and report as mentioned above)

Boot Up Floppy Seek - Enabled (is this correct?)

IDE HDD Block Mode Sectors - Disabled (correct?)

the above settings are HDD/sequence related, of course there are others.
most importantly, can you send me or direct me to online reference for the
correct BIOS setup settings for my PC?

Also ... upon rebooting earlier, i noted the following listed on black screen:

Pri. Master Disk: CHS, Mode 0, 850 MB
Pri. Slave Disk: None

So ... because my CD and hard drive shares the same cable, is that confirmed
by above 'Pri. Master Disk' spec?

Thanks!

Upon re-booting earlier, i jotted down the following
"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> > > offered for IDE and I'm guessing you don't have SATA or SCSI) loose? Why not
> > > check those things first before trying the whole format routine? I really
> > > hate to tell people to reformat and when re-reading your post it made me
> > > more inclined to think hardware misconfiguration might indeed be the first
> > > trouble you're having at this point and that you'd not even be able to
> > > reformat perhaps.
> > >
> > > When you enter your BIOS setup utility, do you have both the CD and the HDD
> > > listed? Click on auto and then hit enter usually or press the F3 button
> > > often to enable it to auto-detect them. Let's start there and see what sort
> > > of critters we can dig up.
> > >
> > > Galen
> > > --
> > > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> > > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

You are welcome. This looks bad, looks small...

| Also ... upon rebooting earlier, i noted the following listed on black
screen:

| Pri. Master Disk: CHS, Mode 0, 850 MB
| Pri. Slave Disk: None

....but I guess I don't really know. I'm thinking it could be a small
partition set up by the manufacturer or even maybe EZ-BIOS. But I just
don't know. And where is your C:partition, which must be much larger?

Anyway, it could be BIOS is not properly detecting your hard drive
because the CD-ROM was connected improperly. As Glee said, there will be
a diagram on it showing what the jumper setting choices are. Then, you
must check the jumper to see it is set as Slave. It might also be that
you must move the hard drive (which is a Master) to the end of the cable
& put the CD-ROM between it and the motherboard.

I don't fully understand even my own BIOS Setup. So, your BIOS questions
are best answered by Glee. NEVERTHELESS...

(a) Set the boot sequence to "A, C", & leave it that way. This is so you
will always be able to boot the floppy just by putting it in before
turning on the machine. Naturally, you must remember to take it or any
floppy out before trying to boot to the hard drive. If you leave in a
non-bootable floppy, you will get a scary error message, uh, something
like "No bootable media". Actually, "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM
DISK AND PRESS ENTER" also is a candidate. However, that isn't the
current case.

(b) Copy down all of your current BIOS settings before changing a thing.

(c) The fact that your BIOS does not mention your CD-ROM in the Boot
Sequence can mean one of two things...
(1) It does not have the ability to boot the CD-ROM, or
(2) It has that ability but has not detected one is present.

--
> [...]
| >
| > > My CD drive has a wide ribbon cable connector and a short power
connector.
| > > Those are the only 2 connectors I belive are required. My old CD
drive broke
| > > years ago and I never replaced it until last week.
| > > Therefore, regarding your statement ...
| > >
| > > How do I know this, what can I do, what should I do?
| >
| > Follow the wide cable (the data cable) from the back of the CD drive
to the
| > motherboard. On the cable there may be another connector that is
attached to the
| > hard drive.....if that is the case, the two drives are sharing one
cable, and the CD
| > drive jumper *must* be set to the Slave position.
| > Find the hard drive and follow the data cable from the back of
it......is it a
| > different cable than the one attached to the CD drive, or is it the

I suggest that you do not make any changes in the BIOS setup other than the boot
order, until you have learned a bit more about what the settings are.
Misconfiguring the BIOS can render your computer unbootable. If you do not know
what jumpers are, then you probably need to find someone with more experience
installing drives, to get your CD drive installed and configured correctly.
Depending on what type of cable is installed, you *may* need to have the hard drive
on the end connector and the CD drive on the middle connector of the cable. You
would be better off buying a second ribbon cable and connecting the CD drive as
Master on its own cable, attached to the Secondary IDE Controller on the
motherboard.
Because of the variables involved and your apparent lack of experience with this
aspect of the hardware, you really should find someone local with more experience to
help with the configuration. You also need to determine if you have a Dynamic Disk
Overlay (DDO) such as EZ-BIOS installed.