Gave win98se the chop!!!.............

After much dilly dallying and seeking of advice here I went against
better judgement and gave my win98se an upgrade to xp home. And I have
to say I love xp and wish I had upgraded to it sooner. :) I had zero
problems after installation. I simply uninstalled unsuitable software
and reinstalled my scanner software after installation (which xp
predicted it may have problems with on the report thingy you get) and
it all works a treat. I also found that my pc seems to be starting up
quicker and not freezing up like it did when running win 98se. :)
Thought I'd just share my excitement with you guys :)

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

I hope you remembered to update that puppy as soon as you could.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mfizy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> After much dilly dallying and seeking of advice here I went against
> better judgement and gave my win98se an upgrade to xp home. And I have
> to say I love xp and wish I had upgraded to it sooner. :) I had zero
> problems after installation. I simply uninstalled unsuitable software
> and reinstalled my scanner software after installation (which xp
> predicted it may have problems with on the report thingy you get) and
> it all works a treat. I also found that my pc seems to be starting up
> quicker and not freezing up like it did when running win 98se. :)
> Thought I'd just share my excitement with you guys :)
>

> --
> PSYCHOPIXIE

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mfizy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> I simply uninstalled unsuitable software

If you mean incompatible, are you sure? Had you tried running them in
compatibility mode?
Right click an apps .exe, click Properties > Compatibility tab.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I'll begin work on your obituary on Tuesday.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mfizy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

| After much dilly dallying and seeking of advice here I went against
| better judgement and gave my win98se an upgrade to xp home. And I have
| to say I love xp and wish I had upgraded to it sooner. :) I had zero
| problems after installation. I simply uninstalled unsuitable software
| and reinstalled my scanner software after installation (which xp
| predicted it may have problems with on the report thingy you get) and
| it all works a treat. I also found that my pc seems to be starting up
| quicker and not freezing up like it did when running win 98se. :)
| Thought I'd just share my excitement with you guys :)
|

| --
| PSYCHOPIXIE

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mfizy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> After much dilly dallying and seeking of advice here I went against
> better judgement and gave my win98se an upgrade to xp home. And I have
> to say I love xp and wish I had upgraded to it sooner. :) I had zero
> problems after installation. I simply uninstalled unsuitable software
> and reinstalled my scanner software after installation (which xp
> predicted it may have problems with on the report thingy you get) and
> it all works a treat. I also found that my pc seems to be starting up
> quicker and not freezing up like it did when running win 98se. :)
> Thought I'd just share my excitement with you guys :)
>

> --
> PSYCHOPIXIE

I recently was talking with a Dell technician and I asked if I could install
XP on my computer. I am using Win98SE. He recommended against it --
strongly. My computer is capable of using it, but he said the most stable
OS is Win98. XP uses brighter graphics, etc., but for bugs and overall
headaches... to stick with Win98.

Thought I would share that.

jazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004

there is quite a bit of software that will bork on an XP upgrade but if
installed after the upgrade with work without a problem. I belive most
antivirus products, some versions of photoshop that just come to mind.

Attempting to run them in compatability mode is a very worth while
sugestion. The compatability wizzard might have declared a problem that
would have just appeared if it was left in durring the upgrade.

"yepp" <nodot@.com> wrote in message

> "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mfizy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
> >
> > After much dilly dallying and seeking of advice here I went against
> > better judgement and gave my win98se an upgrade to xp home. And I have
> > to say I love xp and wish I had upgraded to it sooner. :) I had zero
> > problems after installation. I simply uninstalled unsuitable software
> > and reinstalled my scanner software after installation (which xp
> > predicted it may have problems with on the report thingy you get) and
> > it all works a treat. I also found that my pc seems to be starting up
> > quicker and not freezing up like it did when running win 98se. :)
> > Thought I'd just share my excitement with you guys :)
> >

> > --
> > PSYCHOPIXIE
>
> I recently was talking with a Dell technician and I asked if I could
install
> XP on my computer. I am using Win98SE. He recommended against it --
> strongly. My computer is capable of using it, but he said the most stable
> OS is Win98. XP uses brighter graphics, etc., but for bugs and overall
> headaches... to stick with Win98.
>
> Thought I would share that.

The bugs you are talking about have been mostly fixed. While when XP was new
or when the latest service pack is released i'm sure that is the case. If
you are only running service pack one with updated drivers, XP would be
more stable and reliable the win98 at this point.

"jazz" <aprilo9@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote in message

> "yepp" <nodot@.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mfizy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > After much dilly dallying and seeking of advice here I went against
> > > better judgement and gave my win98se an upgrade to xp home. And I have
> > > to say I love xp and wish I had upgraded to it sooner. :) I had zero
> > > problems after installation. I simply uninstalled unsuitable software
> > > and reinstalled my scanner software after installation (which xp
> > > predicted it may have problems with on the report thingy you get) and
> > > it all works a treat. I also found that my pc seems to be starting up
> > > quicker and not freezing up like it did when running win 98se. :)
> > > Thought I'd just share my excitement with you guys :)
> > >

> > > --
> > > PSYCHOPIXIE
> >
> > I recently was talking with a Dell technician and I asked if I could
> install
> > XP on my computer. I am using Win98SE. He recommended against it --
> > strongly. My computer is capable of using it, but he said the most
stable
> > OS is Win98. XP uses brighter graphics, etc., but for bugs and overall
> > headaches... to stick with Win98.
> >
> > Thought I would share that.
> >

> The bugs you are talking about have been mostly fixed. While when XP was
new
> or when the latest service pack is released i'm sure that is the case. If
> you are only running service pack one with updated drivers, XP would be
> more stable and reliable the win98 at this point.

Believe he was providing the specific Dell tech support personnel opinion.
From that standpoint, he (the technician) should know what he can fix and
not fix, what's easy to fix and not so easy.
XP may have improved, but the technician's perspective may have not.