Any reports on EDGE thru-put ??? poor here in Dallas

Tags:
  • Cingular
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
September 26, 2004 8:03:09 PM

Wanted to see if anyone was getting good performance with EDGE -
Cingular -- I just hooked up here in Plano - North Dallas --

am getting around 50 kbs -- rather low I think ?

The Cingular people here "think" EDGE is active -- but they are all
about 14 years old and welll....

Hopefully EDGE is not here yet ? Is there anyway to tell --

I have tried my Nokia 6200 USB connected and
a GC-82 Sony Ec PC card ---

Using the SOny Ech Communications Mgr I see three Networks -- Cingular
ATT and T-Mobile -- so maybe I will try ATT for a month -- to test it
also --

Any one getting better than me with Cingular -- EDGE ??

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

More about : reports edge put poor dallas

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:02:26 PM

"coveredup" <coveredup.1d7lez@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message

> Wanted to see if anyone was getting good performance with EDGE -
> Cingular -- I just hooked up here in Plano - North Dallas --
>
> am getting around 50 kbs -- rather low I think ?
>
> The Cingular people here "think" EDGE is active -- but they are all
> about 14 years old and welll....
>
> Hopefully EDGE is not here yet ? Is there anyway to tell --
>
> I have tried my Nokia 6200 USB connected and
> a GC-82 Sony Ec PC card ---
>
> Using the SOny Ech Communications Mgr I see three Networks -- Cingular
> ATT and T-Mobile -- so maybe I will try ATT for a month -- to test it
> also --
>
> Any one getting better than me with Cingular -- EDGE ??
>

> --
> coveredup
> http://cellphoneforums.net

Hi There,

this is not a direct answer to your question but perhaps the information may
be useful to you anyway.

Yesterday, Sunday, I downloaded a 22 MB file using an EDGE capable Sony
Ericcson GC83 card on ATTWS' network at an average top speed of 26.2Mbs.

That translates to at least 200 Kbs and allowing for one or possibly 2
overhead bits as high as 260 Kbs.

This was under ideal conditions. We are within clear line of sight of the
ATTWS tower a mile away, Signal strength was maxed and it wasn't a week day.

YMMV !

Richard

Anonymous
September 28, 2004 3:05:06 AM

At 50 Kbps you are probably on GPRS, not EDGE, since that is the typical GPRS
speed. Typical EDGE speed (with a suitable device) is about 120 Kbps.

In <coveredup.1d7lez@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Sun, 26 Sep 2004 16:03:09
-0500, coveredup <coveredup.1d7lez@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>Wanted to see if anyone was getting good performance with EDGE -
>Cingular -- I just hooked up here in Plano - North Dallas --
>
>am getting around 50 kbs -- rather low I think ?
>
>The Cingular people here "think" EDGE is active -- but they are all
>about 14 years old and welll....
>
>Hopefully EDGE is not here yet ? Is there anyway to tell --
>
>I have tried my Nokia 6200 USB connected and
>a GC-82 Sony Ec PC card ---
>
>Using the SOny Ech Communications Mgr I see three Networks -- Cingular
>ATT and T-Mobile -- so maybe I will try ATT for a month -- to test it
>also --
>
>Any one getting better than me with Cingular -- EDGE ??

September 28, 2004 3:07:19 AM

In <10lgvsdbl41q704@news.supernews.com> on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:02:26 -0400,
"Richard Gordon" <richard_r_gordon@msn.com> wrote:

>Yesterday, Sunday, I downloaded a 22 MB file using an EDGE capable Sony
>Ericcson GC83 card on ATTWS' network at an average top speed of 26.2Mbs.
>
>That translates to at least 200 Kbs and allowing for one or possibly 2
>overhead bits as high as 260 Kbs.
>
>This was under ideal conditions. We are within clear line of sight of the
>ATTWS tower a mile away, Signal strength was maxed and it wasn't a week day.
>
>YMMV !

Indeed, since ATTWS EDGE has a max burst speed of about 200 Kbps, and typical
speed of 100-130 Kbps.

September 28, 2004 3:35:53 PM

>At 50 Kbps you are probably on GPRS, not EDGE, since that is the typical GPRS
>speed. Typical EDGE speed (with a suitable device) is about 120 Kbps.

From time to time I have come across utilities and web pages that allow you to
measure speed.

Does anyone have a really good means to measure actual speed?

--
John S.
September 28, 2004 5:33:29 PM

tHANKS --- I tried moving around to a couple different towers in North
Dallas -- no luck yet --- but now I know better through-put is on the
way -- thanks

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

Richard Gordon wrote:
>>Wanted to see if anyone was getting good performance with EDGE -
>>Cingular -- I just hooked up here in Plano - North Dallas --
>>
>>am getting around 50 kbs -- rather low I think ?

Officially when I last asked our rep, the response i got was "not the
hack yet". The might give you an idea how often I've asked. With that
said, there are a number of towers that do support EDGE. I haven't done
must testing over in Dallas, but here in Fort Worth (part of the same
regional network), I have found several towers that support it. Here at
work I have really poor coverage, even with the poor coverage I usually
see about 90k. At home I am about a thousand feet from the tower and
I've seen speeds there upto 300k. However at yet another location where
I have weekly meetings and fairly good coverage,I have nothing but
problems. I have to switch to my Nokia 3620 using GPRS because my Nokia
6230b is unstable on that tower from some reason. I guess what I've
trying to say is it hit or miss. But don't be discouraged because its
coming. The only thing I don't like about EDGE phones is there is no
way to force it to go back to GPRS. If EDGE is flaky in an area, your
stuck with a poor connection. This is why I carry two phones. I simply
put the sim card in phone I want to use.

I hope this helps.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 6:39:17 PM

In <20040928073553.01302.00001430@mb-m04.aol.com> on 28 Sep 2004 11:35:53 GMT,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

>>At 50 Kbps you are probably on GPRS, not EDGE, since that is the typical GPRS
>>speed. Typical EDGE speed (with a suitable device) is about 120 Kbps.
>
>From time to time I have come across utilities and web pages that allow you to
>measure speed.
>
>Does anyone have a really good means to measure actual speed?

<http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/#ConnectionSpeed&gt;

September 28, 2004 7:17:59 PM

In <41596E8A.3030802@usenetjunk.com> on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:00:11 GMT, "R.M"
<usenetjunk@usenetjunk.com> wrote:

>Richard Gordon wrote:

>>>Wanted to see if anyone was getting good performance with EDGE -
>>>Cingular -- I just hooked up here in Plano - North Dallas --
>>>
>>>am getting around 50 kbs -- rather low I think ?
>
>Officially when I last asked our rep, the response i got was "not the
>hack yet". The might give you an idea how often I've asked. With that
>said, there are a number of towers that do support EDGE. I haven't done
>must testing over in Dallas, but here in Fort Worth (part of the same
>regional network), I have found several towers that support it. Here at
>work I have really poor coverage, even with the poor coverage I usually
>see about 90k. At home I am about a thousand feet from the tower and
>I've seen speeds there upto 300k.

That's probably being inflated by caching and/or compression -- EDGE (EGPRS)
has a max burst speed of about 200 Kbps, and typical speed of 100-130 Kbps.

>However at yet another location where
>I have weekly meetings and fairly good coverage,I have nothing but
>problems. I have to switch to my Nokia 3620 using GPRS because my Nokia
>6230b is unstable on that tower from some reason. ...

Something is probably wrong with the handset and/or the tower -- EDGE (EGPRS)
has robust error management.

September 30, 2004 10:37:08 AM

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> >At 50 Kbps you are probably on GPRS, not EDGE, since that is the typical
> >GPRS
>>speed. Typical EDGE speed (with a suitable device) is about 120 Kbps.
>
> From time to time I have come across utilities and web pages that allow
> you to
> measure speed.
>
> Does anyone have a really good means to measure actual speed?

I have GPRS and I get 5 up, 50 down, when I check, so
I would guess you do not have EDGE yet. I like to use the
speed test at WWW.dslreports.com
test a couple of times, and at a couple of test sites to get
a good average speed.

Does anyone know when EDGE will hit the Seattle market?

Will I have to pay more to access it?

Bernard
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 12:51:44 AM

Guess I am staying with Cingular for awhile -- ATT wouldnt let me go
month by month had to signup for 12 at least -- And I wanted to try
their EDGE out -- to see if they had it turned on here in Dallas---

I am guessing when EDGE is used they will have changed over to 850mz
from 1900 mz? on the GSM service

That should give me better voice reception also -- ??

--
coveredup
http://cellphoneforums.net

In <coveredup.1e5am1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:51:44
-0500, coveredup <coveredup.1e5am1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>Guess I am staying with Cingular for awhile -- ATT wouldnt let me go
>month by month had to signup for 12 at least -- And I wanted to try
>their EDGE out -- to see if they had it turned on here in Dallas---

You could easily try it by signing up and canceling within the grace period.