usb to parallel cable

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 6, 2005 4:34:11 AM

Hi, I have a laptop with usb 2 ports only and a Canon Bj 230 printer
with a parallel port only. I would like a wiring diagram so I can make
a cable to connect them. Any suggestions appreciated thanks fellas
ooops! and girls

More about : usb parallel cable

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:12:30 AM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 01:34:11 GMT, GDR <goonalara@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have a laptop with usb 2 ports only and a Canon Bj 230 printer
>with a parallel port only. I would like a wiring diagram so I can make
>a cable to connect them. Any suggestions appreciated thanks fellas
>ooops! and girls

I think you will find it needs more than just a 'cable'.

Firstly USB (serial) and Centronics (parallel) are different standards
so a serial to parallel conversion is needed.

Secondly the voltages on the interfaces are different.

You can get such leads fairly cheaply on the net / eBay and even in
connector / component terms alone it would be cheaper to buy than to
build.

All the best ..

T i m (fella) ;-)
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 8:01:33 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 01:34:11 GMT, GDR <goonalara@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have a laptop with usb 2 ports only and a Canon Bj 230 printer
>with a parallel port only. I would like a wiring diagram so I can make
>a cable to connect them.

Didja google?

<http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+parallel+port+conver...;

Third hit is this:

<http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_printer_cable.ht...;

That seems to do what you want - I would email and ask first before
ordering and hooking it up, just to make sure.

>Any suggestions appreciated thanks fellas
>ooops! and girls

This girl[1] appreciates the inclusion!

jc

[1] although I haven't been called a "girl" in many years.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 11:18:46 PM

In article <i6jc01p6pobl13uqoja7dcu0thvnbb7jf8@4ax.com>,
JC Dill <jcdill04@sonic.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 01:34:11 GMT, GDR <goonalara@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi, I have a laptop with usb 2 ports only and a Canon Bj 230 printer
> >with a parallel port only. I would like a wiring diagram so I can make
> >a cable to connect them.
>
> Didja google?
>
> <http://www.google.com/search?q=usb+parallel+port+conver...;
>
> Third hit is this:
>
> <http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_printer_cable.ht...;
>
> That seems to do what you want - I would email and ask first before
> ordering and hooking it up, just to make sure.
>
> >Any suggestions appreciated thanks fellas
> >ooops! and girls

There are numerous makers and vendors for such cables. Among the makers
of the cables are Belkin, IOGear, Hawking Technologies, Sonet, Radio
Shack. Prices range from around US$10 to US$60 depending on make and
vendor. You can usually find one at one of the office supply stores
such as OfficeMax, Staples, or OfficeDepot. You can also find them at
many places on the web such as:
<http://www.computers4sure.com/product.asp?productid=119...
=15&HKeyword=parallel+usb+adapter>
<http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
a=0>
<http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
a=0>

As a general rule look for one that states it is compliant with parallel
(IEEE 1284) and USB (OHCI) specifications.

Suitability for your purpose depends on your operating system, available
drivers if needed, and printer drivers.

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.