Why does Windows open C:Program FilesCommon on startup?

September 12, 2004 11:11:55 AM

My PC has a new development since applying SP2. When I start windows, now
it opens the C:\Program Files\Common folder. Any guess on what is causing
that?
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 8:50:27 PM

"boe" <boe_d@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My PC has a new development since applying SP2. When I start windows, now
>it opens the C:\Program Files\Common folder. Any guess on what is causing
>that?

Check your startup settings to find out what is causing this.
Applications that start with Windows can be found here:
- the WIN.INI, section [windows], entries "run=" and "load="
- the Registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
- the folders
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\{username}\START MENU\PROGRAMS\STARTUP
See also "How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows
XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310560) and "How to Perform a
Clean Boot in Windows XP" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310353).

--
(tm)
September 12, 2004 8:50:28 PM

Thanks for the quick reply - I checked all of them - no luck. Any other
possiblities come to mind?

!