recommend file splitter

Hi

Can anyone recommend simple file splitter free suitable for windows98
I need to split a programme 6.5 mb size into diskettes 1.4 mb size. I dont
want loads of ads etc so it has to be free, clean and downloadable. I laso
want to be able to assemble the file on another computer without loading the
original file splitting program. any suggestions?
Thanks
--
balentinei
5 answers Last reply

    Winzip 9 executable compressed archives span across floppy drives free trial
    www.winzip.com

    "balentinei" <balentinei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone recommend simple file splitter free suitable for windows98
    > I need to split a programme 6.5 mb size into diskettes 1.4 mb size. I dont
    > want loads of ads etc so it has to be free, clean and downloadable. I laso
    > want to be able to assemble the file on another computer without loading
    the
    > original file splitting program. any suggestions?
    > Thanks
    > --
    > balentinei

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:09:04 -0800, "balentinei"
    <balentinei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Can anyone recommend simple file splitter free suitable for windows98
    >I need to split a programme 6.5 mb size into diskettes 1.4 mb size. I dont
    >want loads of ads etc so it has to be free, clean and downloadable. I laso
    >want to be able to assemble the file on another computer without loading the
    >original file splitting program. any suggestions?
    >Thanks

    Hi balentinei:

    I have used FileSplit with good success.
    Download it free from http://www.aboutlyrics.com/Software/Download/FileSplit.php

    Ivan - -

    A wise monkey is a monkey
    who doesn't monkey with
    an other monkey's monkey.

    Dariolius is my all-time favorite, and can read about it here,
    http://www.kanastacorp.com/dariolius.html
    however, imho the older version is simpler yet fully flexible doing what you
    had asked and more, and has very few registry entries and I like it much
    better, and you can download that 2002 version v1.8.154 directly from here:
    http://www.mypcera.com/soft/1/21/dario.exe
    It's free too.
    I just stick the shortcut to it in my 'Send To' folder for easy access.
    Although these days rarely need to use it anymore.

    I just made a quick screenshot of it so you can see how it works - I just
    picked any random file, and clicked split and out pops the split files with
    its merger file to put them back together:

    http://img17.exs.cx/img17/8895/19mu.png

    Rick

    balentinei wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Can anyone recommend simple file splitter free suitable for windows98
    > I need to split a programme 6.5 mb size into diskettes 1.4 mb size. I dont
    > want loads of ads etc so it has to be free, clean and downloadable. I laso
    > want to be able to assemble the file on another computer without loading the
    > original file splitting program. any suggestions?
    > Thanks
    You have it on your box.
    Included in Win98 is backup and restore, it will do it.
    External which has to be on both boxen are zip, rar and other archiving
    programms.
    (In zip and others you can create a self-extracting file, but to learn
    how to do it is more bother than it is worth for one off transfer.)

    HTH

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:01:26
    GMT Stanislaw Flatto <compaid@shoalhaven.net.au> posted:

    >balentinei wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend simple file splitter free suitable for windows98
    >> I need to split a programme 6.5 mb size into diskettes 1.4 mb size. I dont
    >> want loads of ads etc so it has to be free, clean and downloadable. I laso
    >> want to be able to assemble the file on another computer without loading the
    >> original file splitting program. any suggestions?
    >> Thanks
    >You have it on your box.
    >Included in Win98 is backup and restore, it will do it.

    That's true but it's one program, and they call it msbackup.exe.

    It's in program files, accessories, backup.

    It has the advantage that it stores on each disk the amount that disk
    can hold. If defects have left you with less than 1.4 megs on some of
    your floppies, the others will demand a different floppy. This one
    will just fill the disk and maybe you'll need more disks when you're
    done.

    It has the other advantage that no software is needed at the other end
    to install the large file. No zip program, for example, just DOS
    commands.

    >External which has to be on both boxen are zip, rar and other archiving
    >programms.
    >(In zip and others you can create a self-extracting file, but to learn
    >how to do it is more bother than it is worth for one off transfer.)
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Stanislaw
    >Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Meirman