Recover KEY from Windows 98 Disk

Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the KEY
attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on disk,
please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk for
re-installation.
Mike
8 answers Last reply
More about recover windows disk

    You can't. What Make/Model is the computer? Is the disk a retail or
    generic OEM disk (branded with Microsoft logos, holographic looking,) or
    is it a proprietary installation disk for the computer manufacturer?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
    KEY
    > attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
    disk,
    > please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk
    for
    > re-installation.
    > Mike

    PS--If all that's happened to that system is a format, you can use an
    unformat utility or other data recovery software to restore the previous
    system in order to read the required Product Key from the Registry.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
    KEY
    > attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
    disk,
    > please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk
    for
    > re-installation.
    > Mike

    The W98 ProductKey is generally found on the Windows user manual, the
    certificate of authenticity, a sticker on the PC or a sticker on the sleeve
    or jewel case the Windows CD came in. The 25-digit key is 5 groups of 5
    alpha/numeric characters. The Key might be available from the system:

    If the system is working in either safe or normal mode:

    Open regedit.exe to this key and look in the right pane for the entry
    ProductKey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

    If the system is not working, start the computer with a floppy startup disk.

    At the A: prompt, type: C:\Windows\Command\Find /N "ProductKey"
    C:\Windows\System.dat
    (Note: ProductKey must be typed in upper and lower case letters as shown
    and there is a space after: "Find" after: "/N" and after:
    "ProductKey"

    If the hard drive has been formatted or replaced, US customers can contact
    Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue retail and OEM product keys
    after verifying data located on the W98 CD.

    I suggest writing the ProductKey on the CD with a Sharpie marker.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    > Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the KEY
    > attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
    > disk,
    > please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk for
    > re-installation.
    > Mike

    Thanks Ron, Your a time saver, Thanks from your 101 help. I knew this!

    In news:DD7404FD-764F-4056-B4EB-9461FA8F7776@microsoft.com,
    Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
    > KEY attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find
    > KEY on disk, please advise as to where to locate the KEY information
    > on the 98 Disk for re-installation.
    > Mike

    Can you still get into the OS at all?

    Here, try this link:

    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc2/v15/vic15.htm

    Galen

    > Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
    KEY
    > attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
    disk,
    > please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk
    for
    > re-installation.
    > Mike

    Are you referring to the Certificate of Authority Product Key?

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    "Certificate of Authenticity", <s>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > "Certificate of Authenticity", <s>.

    Thanks Gary and I read that from my Windows 98 manual with my Specsavers
    glasses. Should have put the light on.

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows