Recover KEY from Windows 98 Disk

Mike

Splendid

Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the KEY
attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on disk,
please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk for
re-installation.
Mike

You can't. What Make/Model is the computer? Is the disk a retail or
generic OEM disk (branded with Microsoft logos, holographic looking,) or
is it a proprietary installation disk for the computer manufacturer?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
KEY
> attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
disk,
> please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk
for
> re-installation.
> Mike

PS--If all that's happened to that system is a format, you can use an
unformat utility or other data recovery software to restore the previous
system in order to read the required Product Key from the Registry.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
KEY
> attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
disk,
> please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk
for
> re-installation.
> Mike

The W98 ProductKey is generally found on the Windows user manual, the
certificate of authenticity, a sticker on the PC or a sticker on the sleeve
or jewel case the Windows CD came in. The 25-digit key is 5 groups of 5
alpha/numeric characters. The Key might be available from the system:

If the system is working in either safe or normal mode:

Open regedit.exe to this key and look in the right pane for the entry
ProductKey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

If the system is not working, start the computer with a floppy startup disk.

At the A: prompt, type: C:\Windows\Command\Find /N "ProductKey"
C:\Windows\System.dat
(Note: ProductKey must be typed in upper and lower case letters as shown
and there is a space after: "Find" after: "/N" and after:
"ProductKey"

If the hard drive has been formatted or replaced, US customers can contact
Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue retail and OEM product keys
after verifying data located on the W98 CD.

I suggest writing the ProductKey on the CD with a Sharpie marker.

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

> Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the KEY
> attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
> disk,
> please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk for
> re-installation.
> Mike

Thanks Ron, Your a time saver, Thanks from your 101 help. I knew this!
"Ron Badour" wrote:

> The W98 ProductKey is generally found on the Windows user manual, the
> certificate of authenticity, a sticker on the PC or a sticker on the sleeve
> or jewel case the Windows CD came in. The 25-digit key is 5 groups of 5
> alpha/numeric characters. The Key might be available from the system:
>
> If the system is working in either safe or normal mode:
>
> Open regedit.exe to this key and look in the right pane for the entry
> ProductKey:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
>
> If the system is not working, start the computer with a floppy startup disk.
>
> At the A: prompt, type: C:\Windows\Command\Find /N "ProductKey"
> C:\Windows\System.dat
> (Note: ProductKey must be typed in upper and lower case letters as shown
> and there is a space after: "Find" after: "/N" and after:
> "ProductKey"
>
> If the hard drive has been formatted or replaced, US customers can contact
> Microsoft at: 1 800 642-7676. They will issue retail and OEM product keys
> after verifying data located on the W98 CD.
>
> I suggest writing the ProductKey on the CD with a Sharpie marker.
>

> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the KEY
> > attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
> > disk,
> > please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk for
> > re-installation.
> > Mike

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:DD7404FD-764F-4056-B4EB-9461FA8F7776@microsoft.com,
Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
> KEY attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find
> KEY on disk, please advise as to where to locate the KEY information
> on the 98 Disk for re-installation.
> Mike

Can you still get into the OS at all?

Here, try this link:

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc2/v15/vic15.htm

Galen

> Client has required reformating of HD. The 98 Disk does not have the
KEY
> attached to case or on the side of the computer. Can not find KEY on
disk,
> please advise as to where to locate the KEY information on the 98 Disk
for
> re-installation.
> Mike

Are you referring to the Certificate of Authority Product Key?

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Certificate of Authenticity", <s>.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> "Certificate of Authenticity", <s>.

Thanks Gary and I read that from my Windows 98 manual with my Specsavers
glasses. Should have put the light on.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.