Can't open System or Network from Control Panel

I can't seem to open up the System or Network folders from the Control Panel.
I'm using W98. Also I can't seem to access the CD ROM from Explorer (this
is a recent thing). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about open system network control panel

    What happens when you try to access the CD drive? Does it appear in My Computer?
    First fix the control panel problem so you can get to the System control panel, then
    tackle the CD drive problem. BTW, will the System control panel open if you press
    Winkey+Pause/Break on the keyboard?

    Re: the Control panel problem:
    Click Start>Find>Files or Folders.
    In the "Named" box, type:
    *.cpl
    and in the Look In drop-down box, select the C: drive.
    Click Find Now.

    Maximise the window and click on the heading "In Folder" to sort the files by
    directory. Look at the files listed in the \Windows\System directory.

    Double-click each file in turn...if some work, but one of the files gives you the
    error, that Control Panel file is corrupt. The System control panel file is
    sysdm.cpl, and the Network is netcpl.cpl

    To fix the error you must replace the .cpl file using the Extract one file option of
    System File checker (SFC).

    How to use System File Checker (SFC) to extract a file:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
    http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

    HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5

    If none of the .cpl files works and they all give the error, they may be disabled in
    the Registry, or the Control.exe file may be damaged or corrupted by a virus.

    Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=149648

    How to Troubleshoot Control Panel Issues in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=299923
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "lyano" <lyano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I can't seem to open up the System or Network folders from the Control Panel.
    > I'm using W98. Also I can't seem to access the CD ROM from Explorer (this
    > is a recent thing). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

    When I try and read a CD it display E:\ is not accessible, Device is not
    ready. So the inability to access files from the CD drive does not enable me
    to extract files from a Win 98 installation disk (was pre-installed on my
    computer). I've done a search for Win98*.cab but nothing is found on the
    hard drive.

    In double clicking the cpl files in Windows\System the following result in
    no response or opening:
    modem
    netcpl
    sysdm

    More info: I had tried to update to Win ME from an installation disk (when
    the CD drive was working) but wasn't able to complete this update.

    Thanks for any help.

    "glee" wrote:

    > What happens when you try to access the CD drive? Does it appear in My Computer?
    > First fix the control panel problem so you can get to the System control panel, then
    > tackle the CD drive problem. BTW, will the System control panel open if you press
    > Winkey+Pause/Break on the keyboard?
    >
    > Re: the Control panel problem:
    > Click Start>Find>Files or Folders.
    > In the "Named" box, type:
    > *.cpl
    > and in the Look In drop-down box, select the C: drive.
    > Click Find Now.
    >
    > Maximise the window and click on the heading "In Folder" to sort the files by
    > directory. Look at the files listed in the \Windows\System directory.
    >
    > Double-click each file in turn...if some work, but one of the files gives you the
    > error, that Control Panel file is corrupt. The System control panel file is
    > sysdm.cpl, and the Network is netcpl.cpl
    >
    > To fix the error you must replace the .cpl file using the Extract one file option of
    > System File checker (SFC).
    >
    > How to use System File Checker (SFC) to extract a file:
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp
    >
    > HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
    >

    > If none of the .cpl files works and they all give the error, they may be disabled in
    > the Registry, or the Control.exe file may be damaged or corrupted by a virus.
    >
    > Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=149648
    >
    > How to Troubleshoot Control Panel Issues in Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=299923
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "lyano" <lyano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I can't seem to open up the System or Network folders from the Control Panel.
    > > I'm using W98. Also I can't seem to access the CD ROM from Explorer (this
    > > is a recent thing). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    But you do have a Win98 disc? Do you have access to another computer (a friend's
    the library) where you can extract the files from the CD to floppy disks, and then
    bring the floppies to your machine and copy the files over?
    --

> [...]
    > >
    > > HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5
    > >

    > > If none of the .cpl files works and they all give the error, they may be
    disabled in
    > > the Registry, or the Control.exe file may be damaged or corrupted by a virus.
    > >
    > > Description of Control Panel (.cpl) Files
    > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=149648
    > >
    > > How to Troubleshoot Control Panel Issues in Windows
    > > http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=299923
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "lyano" <lyano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I can't seem to open up the System or Network folders from the Control Panel.
    > > > I'm using W98. Also I can't seem to access the CD ROM from Explorer (this
    > > > is a recent thing). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Control Panel Microsoft Windows