137GB Limit on Seagate 300GB Drive?

Everclearboy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I'm trying to format a new 300GB Seagate SATA Drive on the computer I just got, but when installing Windows, it only sees 131-137GB's of availible space.. My older Maxtor did this as well.. but I just ran MaxBlast before formating and was ablt to partition out the drives prior to windows installation..

How do you break this limit with this Seagate drive?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I'm trying to format a new 300GB Seagate SATA Drive on the computer I just got, but when installing Windows, it only sees 131-137GB's of availible space.. My older Maxtor did this as well.. but I just ran MaxBlast before formating and was ablt to partition out the drives prior to windows installation..

How do you break this limit with this Seagate drive?

Untill you install SP1 with XP that is all the OS will see.
You may partition the drive and after the OS install and updates finnish formating the rest of the drive.

Another way is to put the drive into a system that already has the updates and format it.....or make a "slipstream" of the OS with all the SP to use for installing.

Hale73

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Maybe this would help

Boot XP using your old Maxtor HD make sure that ur new Seagate HD is installed too.

Download Disc Wizard (software from seagate).
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html

It's easy to follow the steps just choose how much space you want to format and what type of partition you want then a restart is required after choose the setting you want, the reason of this is to install a patch to your PC to enable you to support/format your HD past 137GB. The set-up will continue after your restart, then the formatting process will undergo completion. You have now successfully formatted your new Seagate HD.

You can now install XP on your new HD without worrying that additional 150GB you've wasted on your new HD.

USE NTFS to support larger that 137 :)

Trying my best to help, BTW I'm only 15, sorry if this is too noobish for you, but it's the easiest way though. :D :D

Caimbeul

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003
If its any help I have just sorted (with some help :wink: ) a very similar problem with mine on this thread Here if you just install windows as normal inc SP2 then use partition magic (if you can) to simply allocate all the missing space to the drive making it full size.

Hope this helps!

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
As another has said, download seagate's disk wizard app. there will be an option to format the rest of the drive (basically extends the partition, or you can choose to partition that space as another logical drive). there will be no need for you to reformat your operating system partition, nor will you need to install the Maxtor drive again.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Upgrade your CD to SP2 for the next time you need to install.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Or make a copy from someone who has a SP2 version.

Note your CD Key will only work with the same version OEM VS Retail VS Corp, Home VS Pro VS MC VS MC2005.

And OEM CD's & CD Keys for big manufacture's like Dell won't work on other systems.

I don't know if its the CD or the CD Key.

So if you PC came with XP Home SP1 OEM, and you copy a friends store bought XP Home SP2 OEM it may or may not work.

Making your own CD is the only sure thing.