AOL Came back!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 25, 2005 8:07:02 PM

I have a 5-year old Windows 98 machine. I installed a braodband connection
with a wireless access point. Everything is fine.

I decided to go to Windows Update to get the Win98 fixes from the last
several years. After installing them all, AOL 5.0 Setup, which was
pre-loaded 5 years ago, comes up at startup every time. I cannot find any
reference to AOL in install/add programs or in any of the startup files.

Is it possible that it is hidden some place in the startup sequence? How can
I get rid of it?

It doesn't seem to cause any problems, just annoyning extra steps at
startup. AOL's suggestion was to install it, get a free trial, and call their
tech support. No help. I'm back where I was.

More about : aol back

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 2:14:48 AM

Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
"Software Environment" category.
In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
on the right.
Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
right.
Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.

Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Task Manager and post back with what is
listed there when you see the AOL setup at startup.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"FredwiththeAOLproblem" <FredwiththeAOLproblem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in