AOL Came back!

I have a 5-year old Windows 98 machine. I installed a braodband connection
with a wireless access point. Everything is fine.

I decided to go to Windows Update to get the Win98 fixes from the last
several years. After installing them all, AOL 5.0 Setup, which was
pre-loaded 5 years ago, comes up at startup every time. I cannot find any
reference to AOL in install/add programs or in any of the startup files.

Is it possible that it is hidden some place in the startup sequence? How can
I get rid of it?

It doesn't seem to cause any problems, just annoyning extra steps at
startup. AOL's suggestion was to install it, get a free trial, and call their
tech support. No help. I'm back where I was.
1 answer Last reply
More about back

    Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
    In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
    "Software Environment" category.
    In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
    on the right.
    Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
    right.
    Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
    Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
    paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.

    Also, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the Task Manager and post back with what is
    listed there when you see the AOL setup at startup.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "FredwiththeAOLproblem" <FredwiththeAOLproblem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:2DC44231-3029-48F6-9ED9-6091DA853A4B@microsoft.com...
    > I have a 5-year old Windows 98 machine. I installed a braodband connection
    > with a wireless access point. Everything is fine.
    >
    > I decided to go to Windows Update to get the Win98 fixes from the last
    > several years. After installing them all, AOL 5.0 Setup, which was
    > pre-loaded 5 years ago, comes up at startup every time. I cannot find any
    > reference to AOL in install/add programs or in any of the startup files.
    >
    > Is it possible that it is hidden some place in the startup sequence? How can
    > I get rid of it?
    >
    > It doesn't seem to cause any problems, just annoyning extra steps at
    > startup. AOL's suggestion was to install it, get a free trial, and call their
    > tech support. No help. I'm back where I was.

Wireless Access AOL Windows