Core Duo might be Good for Q3'06 but AMD is better

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
AMD is probably just sitting quiet putting it's "OMFG we're totally Screwed, better just put on our 90nm Lubricant and get ready to take it in the An*l hole because our AM2 only got us about as good a performer as when Pentium 4 did it"but they are most likely just making that face to fool Intel Execs, I’m sure and I know because I replied to some posts from 9-inch what said " AMD has a plan for Retaliating to Conroe and Woodcrestbecause AM2 was planned from long ago, but was never expected to compete with a Processor itself AM2 is a new Socket along with the Socket F for Servers and I believe they will release their FX-62 and 64, along with the Athlon64 5000+ and the 5200+ because this is just how the path goes. But they most likely have a plan to Transition to either 65nm or jump directly to 32nm production if the new FABS allow for mass marketing. And From 32nm Socket F or AM2 sockets. AMD might get anywhere from 100% to 150% efficiency over what the Conroe had been able to show from their new 65nm which will "Probably" be 15% to 20% better than the best current90nmchip that AMD has out now.

So AMD can never be counted Down and out, because it's just like the Canadian Hockey team, they won for years but this year they lost the Gold, but all they need to do is Regroup and reassemble their plans and Tighten up their loose ends to beat everyone the next Olympics, Its the Exact case in AMD, it might seem like AMD is going no where this year but Just wait till Q1' 07 I bet they’ll be Ihope in 2007 or Q2'07 flying out better processors than Intel Can only dream about

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
But they most likely have a plan to Transition to either 65nm or jump directly to 32nm production if the new FABS allow for mass marketing. And From 32nm Socket F or AM2 sockets. AMD might get anywhere from 100% to 150% efficiency over what the Conroe had been able to show from their new 65nm which will "Probably" be 15% to 20% better than the best current90nmchip that AMD has out now.
Really. Who told you this, 9-inch? I would hope that AMD's new 32nm processor will perform 100-150% better than Intel's 65nm processors. Just tell me where they will build these processors now that AMD is going to jump over 65nm and directly to 32nm? In AMD's new 65nm Fab36 that's currently building 90nm processors? Will Chartered provide them from their contract that originally was for 90nm processors and was only just expanded to include 65nm processors? Will TSMC provide them from their 80nm facilities which are still struggling with yields? Will UMC provide it from their 90nm fabs which they are marketing to ATI as being more cost-effective than TSMC? Or will Intel be kind enough to do it from their 65nm fabs and their upcoming 45nm ones? I'm eager to see AMD's 65nm K8L processors next year, but to suggest they are just going to jump over 65nm and release 32nm processors in the same time frame to compete against Intel's 65nm processors. I guess AMD will be willing to flush their investment in their 65nm Fab36, leap over 45nm and miraculously turn up with 32nm parts. I expect all the research labs in the world can band together and convert their 32nm research papers into decent yields of 32nm wafers. I hope you were joking.

endyen

Splendid
Reminds me of a song
Hope springs eternal from a young man's breast, as he dreams of the better days ahead.
Without that dream you are nothing nothing nothing,
you've got to find out for yourself that dream is dead.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
lol. When will these useless posts end?

My preference is Intel, but hey, I respect them both equally. They both know what they're doing.

Technology is a game of leap-frog. You can't say "Intel is better" because this leap they're on top. The same can be said about AMD.

Anyway, competition is good. I'm getting a nice new Conroe when they come out. I would have paid twice as much for this grade of performance 5 years ago.

So thanks AMD for making my Intel cheaper by producing high-quality competitive products :)

Legenic

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
lol. When will these useless posts end?

My preference is Intel, but hey, I respect them both equally. They both know what they're doing.

Technology is a game of leap-frog. You can't say "Intel is better" because this leap they're on top. The same can be said about AMD.

Anyway, competition is good. I'm getting a nice new Conroe when they come out. I would have paid twice as much for this grade of performance 5 years ago.

So thanks AMD for making my Intel cheaper by producing high-quality competitive products :)

you have to give AMD credit for forcing intel to change their strategy. without AMD we'd probably still be looking at high clocked P4's for the next while.

You know I hate AMD and Intel Fanboy making useless posts like this.

First of all, the joint venture for a 32nm processor between AMD and Intel is a 3 year project that was only announced this past January. Assuming they will be shipping CPU immediately after joint venture is completed then that means the 32nm will come out in 2009.

Secondly, AMD is scheduled to release the 65nm K8L CPUs in Q1 next year. Socket AM2 Athlons being released this year will not be anything radical, even AMD states there will be little difference between AM2 and S939 of the same speed. The most anticipated change is the addition of DDR2 RAM support. But it is too early to tell how much of a performance boost DDR2 800 RAM will provide once they come out. AMD CPUs are not as bandwidth starved as Intel CPUs.

Thirdly, Conroe's core allows it to execute 4 instructions per cycle as opposed to 3 instructions per cycle in the current Athlon 64. In the most simplest terms (assuming both AMD and Intel CPU performs the same) the Conroe running at 2.0GHz will be just as fast as the Athlon 64 running at 2.67GHz. Intel has effectively turned the tables on AMD. Actually they already turned the tables when they released the Pentium M.

Forth, Intel will be coming out with 45nm CPU next year. They are also working on 32nm CPUs that are also scheduled to be released in 2009.

There is a good chance that Conroe will wipe the floor with AMD this year. But the remains to be seen since no hardware site has actually posted any reviews of it yet. It could also be a flop. AMD will be in a better position next year with the release of K8L, but that is still sometime away, and Intel is scheduled to release thier 45nm CPUs.

The best thing to do is simply build a rig around the CPU that gives the best performance regardless if it is AMD or Intel.

I think there would be a lot less useless threads if all AMD and Intel Fanboy were lined up and shot.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
AMD is probably just sitting quiet putting it's "OMFG we're totally Screwed, better just put on our 90nm Lubricant and get ready to take it in the An*l hole because our AM2 only got us about as good a performer as when Pentium 4 did it"but they are most likely just making that face to fool Intel Execs, I’m sure and I know because I replied to some posts from 9-inch what said " AMD has a plan for Retaliating to Conroe and Woodcrestbecause AM2 was planned from long ago, but was never expected to compete with a Processor itself AM2 is a new Socket along with the Socket F for Servers and I believe they will release their FX-62 and 64, along with the Athlon64 5000+ and the 5200+ because this is just how the path goes. But they most likely have a plan to Transition to either 65nm or jump directly to 32nm production if the new FABS allow for mass marketing. And From 32nm Socket F or AM2 sockets. AMD might get anywhere from 100% to 150% efficiency over what the Conroe had been able to show from their new 65nm which will "Probably" be 15% to 20% better than the best current90nmchip that AMD has out now.

So AMD can never be counted Down and out, because it's just like the Canadian Hockey team, they won for years but this year they lost the Gold, but all they need to do is Regroup and reassemble their plans and Tighten up their loose ends to beat everyone the next Olympics, Its the Exact case in AMD, it might seem like AMD is going no where this year but Just wait till Q1' 07 I bet they’ll be Ihope in 2007 or Q2'07 flying out better processors than Intel Can only dream about

32nm can hold over 4x the transistors of 65nm in the same physical space when compared to 65nm. Neither Intel or AMD will be selling 32nm processors in 2007, possibly Q2 2009 at the earliest...

45nm can hold just over 2x the transistors of 65nm in the same physical space when compared to 65nm.

You post contains far to many errors beyond just those two basics to point out in a timely fashion.

intelamduser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
Another idiot decides to make predictions out of thin air.

Conroe has already been shown to best the fastest AMD processor, so as stated the new phantom processer will beat the Conroe by 150% yet is only 20% better than the current AMD processor which was bested by the Conroe processer. I certainly hope this poster is not majoring in math.

cherrion

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Can we stop these stupid threads now. It seems that people cannot grasp the concept of AMD not being number 1 any more.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
The Conroe Line nor the Woodscrest Line is out yet for another few Months so hold off from Jerking off on Your Intel D975XBXLKR "BAd Axe"- Socket 775 ATX Motherboards until the actual Processers get Bought and Fitted into your Socket, So Intel Can't best AMD as of yet. Then you can gladly take the "Bad Axe" Motherboard and I Will Provide the Vasaline and you may have as much fun with it in the washroom as you can. BTW(I hope) I'm also getting the CNR-E6700 So if it does turn out as Good. keep the door for the washroom open I'll join you in a 4way(lol)

49ers540

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
For your info, you can't just go from 90nm to 30nm, just doesn't work that way. Unless you're MMM who will say AMD can because they stole it from Intel errr......develope it themselves. You have to shrink a little bit at a time. Many steps and engineering development involved.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
btw, I Never posted that AMD will be defenately be jumping to 32nm i said they will transition to 65nm or they *Could* jump to 32nm if The new FABS allow for them to. I Know thats this is Engineering impossibility but if AMD wants to jump the freight train and go to 32nm in few quarters after 65nm they can

Seeing what Intels doing they will be releaseing 65nm and then not more than a year later they are going to release 45nm and maybe 32nm only months after that.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
AMD barely have 65nm out the door, no word on their 45nm parts, and you're trying to indicate they'll jump straight from 65nm to 32nm (4x the transistor count).

That is bad for business, as they could double transistor count from 65nm by going to 45nm, make parts, and sell them for awhile, then move to 32nm, double transistor count (again), make more parts, and sell them too.

AMD will not skip over 45nm.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
YES AMD IS THE BEST
My K5PR90 is better than Yonah 2.33GHz for everything!
It is the best! It is better than Conroe.
I think it is better than Itanium and better than any AMD CPU!
AMD ARE THE BEST!
Core DUO is the worst!
When I hear the name Core DUO it makes me sick. When I hear that is an Intel Product, I go mad and I start distructing everything around, including the CPU itslef. So it is not working any more.
So my K5PR90 is the best!