strange behavior this morning...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 20, 2005 12:53:33 PM

Hello,

I have been lurking in this group for some time. (about a year)
Anyways, I was taking a short flight from KPSP to KLAX this morning in
the Baron 58 and everything was fine until I passed over the PDZ VOR
and then the plane suddenly dived at a rate greater than 2000 FPM. I
have seen this behavior before, but just this morning put 2 and 2
together and figured that maybe it has to do with flying over a VOR.

Has anyone seen this behavior before, and if so, is there a fix? I am
running fs 9.1.

thx,

Steve

July 20, 2005 1:20:01 PM

Steve <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Anyways, I was taking a short flight from KPSP to KLAX this morning in
> the Baron 58 and everything was fine until I passed over the PDZ VOR
> and then the plane suddenly dived at a rate greater than 2000 FPM. I
> have seen this behavior before, but just this morning put 2 and 2
> together and figured that maybe it has to do with flying over a VOR.

Is this behavior reproducible every time you fly over that VOR?

--
Peter
July 20, 2005 1:51:14 PM

I just tried it for the first time this morning. I'll see if it is
constantly reproducible. I am not flying with autopilot either. the
steep dive happened right when the flag changed from heading to the
VOR to being directly over it. I'm going ot try a different plane as
well. maybe it is unique to the baron. thanks for the suggestions.

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:20:01 -0400, Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Steve <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyways, I was taking a short flight from KPSP to KLAX this morning in
>> the Baron 58 and everything was fine until I passed over the PDZ VOR
>> and then the plane suddenly dived at a rate greater than 2000 FPM. I
>> have seen this behavior before, but just this morning put 2 and 2
>> together and figured that maybe it has to do with flying over a VOR.
>
>Is this behavior reproducible every time you fly over that VOR?

July 20, 2005 5:41:46 PM

Check your flightplan - navlog to see if there is a problem with altitude.
Do you have a drastically reduced altitude for your next VOR or waypoint?
Are you flying using autopilot?

Chris
'still thinking of a name'

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Steve <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyways, I was taking a short flight from KPSP to KLAX this morning in
>> the Baron 58 and everything was fine until I passed over the PDZ VOR
>> and then the plane suddenly dived at a rate greater than 2000 FPM. I
>> have seen this behavior before, but just this morning put 2 and 2
>> together and figured that maybe it has to do with flying over a VOR.
>
> Is this behavior reproducible every time you fly over that VOR?
>
> --
> Peter

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 9:38:57 PM

Sounds like airframe icing, perhaps?

"Steve" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have been lurking in this group for some time. (about a year)
> Anyways, I was taking a short flight from KPSP to KLAX this morning in
> the Baron 58 and everything was fine until I passed over the PDZ VOR
> and then the plane suddenly dived at a rate greater than 2000 FPM. I
> have seen this behavior before, but just this morning put 2 and 2
> together and figured that maybe it has to do with flying over a VOR.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior before, and if so, is there a fix? I am
> running fs 9.1.
>
> thx,
>
> Steve

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:19:31 PM

Steve wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been lurking in this group for some time. (about a year)

Oh God! You must know ALL our secrets by now. When is the money demand
coming through the post?

--
Cheers and fears,
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine
http://www.livtech.co.uk
July 21, 2005 1:05:44 PM

flew the same route last night with no problems. who knows???

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:53:33 -0400, Steve <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been lurking in this group for some time. (about a year)
>Anyways, I was taking a short flight from KPSP to KLAX this morning in
>the Baron 58 and everything was fine until I passed over the PDZ VOR
>and then the plane suddenly dived at a rate greater than 2000 FPM. I
>have seen this behavior before, but just this morning put 2 and 2
>together and figured that maybe it has to do with flying over a VOR.
>
>Has anyone seen this behavior before, and if so, is there a fix? I am
>running fs 9.1.
>
>thx,
>
> Steve

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

July 21, 2005 1:12:22 PM

Steve <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

> flew the same route last night with no problems. who knows???

Perhaps during the problem flight you were flying on autopilot and somehow
you unknowingly disengaged the AP at the point where your descent began?

Over the last few years there have been many reports in this group of
nose-down attitudes occurring right after the AP was disengaged.

--
Peter

July 21, 2005 5:26:16 PM

Beech

He stated on one of his posts that he didn't have autopilot engaged as it
was a suggestion I had.
Strange world the FS World. Glad Microsoft don't control the real skies or
we would need
a patch along with our airline tickets so things go smoothly.

Chris

> Steve <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> flew the same route last night with no problems. who knows???
>
> Perhaps during the problem flight you were flying on autopilot and somehow
> you unknowingly disengaged the AP at the point where your descent began?
>
> Over the last few years there have been many reports in this group of
> nose-down attitudes occurring right after the AP was disengaged.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 5:26:17 PM

"Ibby (The Artist Formally Known as Chris)" <chris@mwapartnership.co.uk>
wrote:

> He stated on one of his posts that he didn't have autopilot engaged as it
> was a suggestion I had.

Whoops, sorry about that. With all of the newsgroups I read, I am often
forgetting the content of posts earlier in the thread. Thanks for pointing
that out.

--
Peter