External USB Enclosure

vizzo110

ok, heres the problem....
i bought a maxtor 160gb 7200 rpm for use in an external enclosure.
heres the enclosure http://store.yahoo.com/nexfan03/acmuente.html
i used a universal power adapter since there wasn’t a T for a Dell
laptop.
I’m running Win 98 SE.
i’m pretty sure its not usb 2.0
i hooked everything up, pluged in the usb cable and started up my
laptop
it went into its ’building driver database’
i installed what i thought were the right drivers but this is what i
get in windows system info:

USB Mass Storage Device
USB
This Device Has a Problem: Code=2 (0x2)
Device failure: Try changing the driver for this device. If that
doesn’t work,
see your hardware documentation.
Registry Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\USB\VID_0402&PID_5621\INST_0
Alloc resources: None
Forced resources: None
Boot resources: None
Filtered resources: None
Basic resources: None
Driver: USB\0005
Driver Date: 12- 7-1999
Driver: NTMAP.SYS
File Size: 9360
(0x2490)
File Date:
4/23/1999 10:22 PM
Company Name:
Microsoft Corporation
File Version:
4.10.2222
Driver: USBSTOR.SYS
File Size: 21760
(0x5500)
File Date:
3/25/2005 3:32 PM
Company Name:
Microsoft Corporation
File Version:
5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

i contacted Okgear’s help, but havn’t gotten a response yet
does anyone know how to fix this? and i did read through the other
posts....

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-External-USB-Enclosure-ftopict349521.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1100544

try other drivers, try a USB2.0 card or try mskb
http://support.microsoft.com/common/canned.aspx?R=d&H=windows+98+usb+device+articles&LL=kbwin98search+or+kbwin98sesearch&Sz=hwusb&Fr=&DU=&SD=GN&LN=EN-US&CND=1&VR=&CAT=&VRL=&SG=

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_

"vizzo110" wrote:
> ok, heres the problem....
> i bought a maxtor 160gb 7200 rpm for use in an external
> enclosure.
> heres the enclosure
> http://store.yahoo.com/nexfan03/acmuente.html
> i used a universal power adapter since there wasn't a T for a
> Dell laptop.
> I'm running Win 98 SE.
> i'm pretty sure its not usb 2.0
> i hooked everything up, pluged in the usb cable and started up
> my laptop
> it went into its 'building driver database'
> i installed what i thought were the right drivers but this is
> what i get in windows system info:
>
> USB Mass Storage Device
> USB
> This Device Has a Problem: Code=2 (0x2)
> Device failure: Try changing the driver for this device.
> If that doesn't work,
> see your hardware documentation.
> Registry Key:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEenumUSBVID_0402&PID_5621INST_0
> Alloc resources: None
> Forced resources: None
> Boot resources: None
> Filtered resources: None
> Basic resources: None
> Driver: USB > Driver Date: 12- 7-1999
> Driver: NTMAP.SYS
> File Size:
> 9360 (0x2490)
> File Date:
> 4/23/1999 10:22 PM
> Company
> Name: Microsoft Corporation
> File
> Version: 4.10.2222
> Driver: USBSTOR.SYS
> File Size:
> 21760 (0x5500)
> File Date:
> 3/25/2005 3:32 PM
> Company
> Name: Microsoft Corporation
> File
> Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
>
> i contacted Okgear's help, but havn't gotten a response yet
> does anyone know how to fix this? and i did read through the
> other posts....

Okgear finally sent me their drivers for 98. But now the drive wont
show up in my computer, is there anything to fix this?

"vizzo110" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message

> Okgear finally sent me their drivers for 98. But now the drive wont
> show up in my computer, is there anything to fix this?

This suggests that the drive has not yet been partitioned using FDISK.

No partition = no drive letter.

vizzo110

"user4347" wrote:
> "vizzo110" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Okgear finally sent me their drivers for 98. But now the
> drive wont
> > show up in my computer, is there anything to fix this?
>
> This suggests that the drive has not yet been partitioned
> using FDISK.
>
> No partition = no drive letter.

i know what fdisk is, but can i format with the drive in the
enclosure?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-External-USB-Enclosure-ftopict349521.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1107254

> "user4347" wrote:
> > "vizzo110" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Okgear finally sent me their drivers for 98. But now the
> > drive wont
> > > show up in my computer, is there anything to fix this?
> >
> > This suggests that the drive has not yet been partitioned
> > using FDISK.
> >
> > No partition = no drive letter.
>
> i know what fdisk is, but can i format with the drive in the
> enclosure?

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-External-USB-Enclosure-ftopict349521.html
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1107254

If you can fdisk, you can format using same connection.

RMA
To process your RMA request, review the RMA Policy
To submit a new RMA request, use the RMA Form.
You should request a RMA number for your case. If you do not have one,
please submit your RMA form to Fax:909.869.8860 or E-Mail to
service@okgear.com
To check your RMA status,please email service@okgear.com

Technical Support
Any technical support please call 909-869-0791 or email support@okgear.com

"vizzo110" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "user4347" wrote:
> > "vizzo110" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Okgear finally sent me their drivers for 98. But now the
> > drive wont
> > > show up in my computer, is there anything to fix this?
> >
> > This suggests that the drive has not yet been partitioned
> > using FDISK.
> >
> > No partition = no drive letter.
>
> i know what fdisk is, but can i format with the drive in the
> enclosure?

Yes, without a doubt. I have done that.

vizzo110

"user4347" wrote:
> "vizzo110" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "user4347" wrote:
>  > > "vizzo110" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com>
> wrote in message
>  > >
>   > > >
>   > > > Okgear finally sent me their drivers for
> 98. But now the
>  > > drive wont
>   > > > show up in my computer, is there anything
> to fix this?
>  > >
>  > > This suggests that the drive has not yet been
> partitioned
>  > > using FDISK.
>  > >
>  > > No partition = no drive letter.
> >
> > i know what fdisk is, but can i format with the drive in the
> > enclosure?
>
> Yes, without a doubt. I have done that.

How would i do this? fdisk only see’s my primary drive, and not the
one in the enclosure.
FDISK R2.02 Fixed Disk Maintenance Utility
STANDARD MODE
Copyright (c) 1986,1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.

Partitions on 1st hard disk (8024.6 Mb, 1023 cylinders):
No Drive Start End MB Status Type
1 -- 0 1023 11507.4 A FAT32 LBA

Select options:
1) Create partition