System no longer usable "Open With"

clayton

Hi,
For some reason when I open anything like shortcuts, control panel objects
etc, I get a open with box appearing, I can open programs by going to
Start/Run and broswing for exe files that way and that's just about it, I
have tried entering the following into the registry as a fix but to no
avial, can someone please help me out here?

Thanks
Clayton

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk]
@="lnkfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew]
"Command"="RunDLL32 AppWiz.Cpl,NewLinkHere %2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
@="{500202A0-731E-11d0-B829-00C04FD706EC}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
@="Shortcut"
"EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00
"IsShortcut"=""
"NeverShowExt"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\CLSID]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\IconHandler]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TargetContext]
@="{90A756E0-AFCF-11CE-927B-0800095AE340}"

Can you be a little more explicit?
"Anything like shortcuts, control panel objects etc" is not very
helpful, particularly combined with your subject header.

I am familiar with the shortcut problem and, assuming you entered it
correctly, the fix looks close to what I normally recommend but that
has nothing to do with Control Panel objects or "Open With".

Have you checked that Rundll32.exe exists in C:\Windows?
What is the exact error message you get for:
1. Shortcuts.
2. Control Panel Objects.
3. Open With.

This is my standard response to the shortcut problem. Check that this
corresponds with what you actually have in the Registry under those
two keys:

I will give you a fix for the usual lnkfile problem
Make a file from the lines below called Link.reg and doubleclick it.
You can use Notepad to create it from this message. Don't retype it as
an error might occur. Copy it.
Ensure that REGEDIT4 is the first line and that your mail/newsreader
does not add a space to the end of any line.
Ensure the last line is blank.
If your Windows folder is other than C:\Windows then alter the file
accordingly.

You will need to restart Windows after this fix to see the effect.

----------Link.reg ----below this line
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk]
@="lnkfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew]
"Command"="C:\\WINDOWS\\rundll32.exe AppWiz.Cpl,NewLinkHere %2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
@="Shortcut"
"EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00
"IsShortcut"=""
"NeverShowExt"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\CLSID]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\IconHandler]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
@=""

--------(end of link.reg-----

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
<claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Hi,
>For some reason when I open anything like shortcuts, control panel objects
>etc, I get a open with box appearing, I can open programs by going to
>Start/Run and broswing for exe files that way and that's just about it, I
>have tried entering the following into the registry as a fix but to no
>avial, can someone please help me out here?
>
>Thanks
>Clayton
>

>REGEDIT4
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk]
>@="lnkfile"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellNew]
>"Command"="RunDLL32 AppWiz.Cpl,NewLinkHere %2"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
>@="{500202A0-731E-11d0-B829-00C04FD706EC}"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
>@="Shortcut"
>"EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00
>"IsShortcut"=""
>"NeverShowExt"=""
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\CLSID]
>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\IconHandler]
>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\DropHandler]
>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
>@=""
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TargetContext]
>@="{90A756E0-AFCF-11CE-927B-0800095AE340}"

clayton

Sorry Alan, the registry entry you gave me did not work, the problems I am
having is that when I open any exe files or shortcuts etc I get a Open With
box appearing, it's not just shortcuts and it also refers to exe files and
control panel icons which are cpl files

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
>>@="{500202A0-731E-11d0-B829-00C04FD706EC}"
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
>>@="Shortcut"
>>"EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00
>>"IsShortcut"=""
>>"NeverShowExt"=""
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\CLSID]
>>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex]
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\IconHandler]
>>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\DropHandler]
>>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
>>@=""
>>
>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TargetContext]

The fix is only for shortcuts (.lnk files) and has nothing to do with
..exe or .cpl files.
I can give you similar for .exe and .cpl if necessary but nothing for
etc files.
Please read my last response and answer the questions as best you can.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
<claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Sorry Alan, the registry entry you gave me did not work, the problems I am
>having is that when I open any exe files or shortcuts etc I get a Open With
>box appearing, it's not just shortcuts and it also refers to exe files and
>control panel icons which are cpl files
>

>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Can you be a little more explicit?
>> "Anything like shortcuts, control panel objects etc" is not very
>> helpful, particularly combined with your subject header.
>>
>> I am familiar with the shortcut problem and, assuming you entered it
>> correctly, the fix looks close to what I normally recommend but that
>> has nothing to do with Control Panel objects or "Open With".
>>
>> Have you checked that Rundll32.exe exists in C:\Windows?
>> What is the exact error message you get for:
>> 1. Shortcuts.
>> 2. Control Panel Objects.
>> 3. Open With.
>>
>> This is my standard response to the shortcut problem. Check that this
>> corresponds with what you actually have in the Registry under those
>> two keys:
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
>> <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>For some reason when I open anything like shortcuts, control panel objects
>>>etc, I get a open with box appearing, I can open programs by going to
>>>Start/Run and broswing for exe files that way and that's just about it, I
>>>have tried entering the following into the registry as a fix but to no
>>>avial, can someone please help me out here?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Clayton

clayton

Furthermore, the Rundll32.exe is in the windows directory and I think this
did fix the lnk problem as all my shortcuts now don't have the .lnk
extension, so the problem I am having now maybe some totally different

"Clayton" <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lnk\ShellEx\{BB2E617C-0920-11d1-9A0B-00C04FC2D6C1}]
>>>@="{500202A0-731E-11d0-B829-00C04FD706EC}"
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
>>>@="Shortcut"
>>>"EditFlags"=hex:01,00,00,00
>>>"IsShortcut"=""
>>>"NeverShowExt"=""
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\CLSID]
>>>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex]
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\IconHandler]
>>>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\DropHandler]
>>>@="{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\{00021401-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]
>>>@=""
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\TargetContext]

It looks like just the cpl and exe now, a fix for that will be great

Clayton

> The fix is only for shortcuts (.lnk files) and has nothing to do with
> .exe or .cpl files.
> I can give you similar for .exe and .cpl if necessary but nothing for
> etc files.
> Please read my last response and answer the questions as best you can.
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
> <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>Sorry Alan, the registry entry you gave me did not work, the problems I am
>>having is that when I open any exe files or shortcuts etc I get a Open
>>With
>>box appearing, it's not just shortcuts and it also refers to exe files and
>>control panel icons which are cpl files
>>

>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Can you be a little more explicit?
>>> "Anything like shortcuts, control panel objects etc" is not very
>>> helpful, particularly combined with your subject header.
>>>
>>> I am familiar with the shortcut problem and, assuming you entered it
>>> correctly, the fix looks close to what I normally recommend but that
>>> has nothing to do with Control Panel objects or "Open With".
>>>
>>> Have you checked that Rundll32.exe exists in C:\Windows?
>>> What is the exact error message you get for:
>>> 1. Shortcuts.
>>> 2. Control Panel Objects.
>>> 3. Open With.
>>>
>>> This is my standard response to the shortcut problem. Check that this
>>> corresponds with what you actually have in the Registry under those
>>> two keys:

OK. I don't follow how all three unrelated extensions got corrupted
but here is the .exe fix.
I will be back in a few minutes after I make one for .cpl

Make up a file from the lines below. Copy into a file called fix.reg
which should be created in Notepad. Do not retype, copy in case of
errors. The 1st line in the file is the line REGEDIT4
The last line must be blank.
Make sure your mail or news reader does not add any spaces to the end
of a line.
Doubleclick to restore the association.

-----copy below this line fix.reg------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:d8,07,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
@=""
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

---- end file above here

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
<claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>It looks like just the cpl and exe now, a fix for that will be great
>
>Clayton
>

>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> The fix is only for shortcuts (.lnk files) and has nothing to do with
>> .exe or .cpl files.
>> I can give you similar for .exe and .cpl if necessary but nothing for
>> etc files.
>> Please read my last response and answer the questions as best you can.
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
>> <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry Alan, the registry entry you gave me did not work, the problems I am
>>>having is that when I open any exe files or shortcuts etc I get a Open
>>>With
>>>box appearing, it's not just shortcuts and it also refers to exe files and
>>>control panel icons which are cpl files
>>>

>>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

OK. Here is .cpl

Make up a file from the lines below. Copy into a file called fix.reg
which should be created in Notepad. Do not retype, copy in case of
errors. The 1st line in the file is the line REGEDIT4
Make sure your mail or news reader does not add any spaces to the end
of a line.
The last line must be blank.
Doubleclick fix.reg

-----copy below this line fix.reg------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cpl]
@="cplfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cplfile]
@="Control Panel extension"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cplfile\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\shell32.dll,-154"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cplfile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cplfile\shell\cplopen]
@="Open with Control Panel"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\cplfile\shell\cplopen\command]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %1,%*"

---- end file above here

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
<claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>It looks like just the cpl and exe now, a fix for that will be great
>
>Clayton
>

>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> The fix is only for shortcuts (.lnk files) and has nothing to do with
>> .exe or .cpl files.
>> I can give you similar for .exe and .cpl if necessary but nothing for
>> etc files.
>> Please read my last response and answer the questions as best you can.
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Clayton"
>> <claytonbNOSPAM@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry Alan, the registry entry you gave me did not work, the problems I am
>>>having is that when I open any exe files or shortcuts etc I get a Open
>>>With
>>>box appearing, it's not just shortcuts and it also refers to exe files and
>>>control panel icons which are cpl files
>>>

>>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

clayton

Thanks for that Alan