I can't open any pictures

Paolo

I format somedays ago my HD and re-install Windows 98SE: . I re-install
also my scanner HP with the relative software; Now if i try to open a
picture clicking directly from the file(photo) i can't. open.
All the picture file (jpeg,jpg,bmp and all the format picture)are pointing
to a strange Adobe software that i don't have installed in my PC.I need to
open Windows Imaging and manually open the file.
What i have wrong in my Windows?
How can solve this strange behavior?
Paolo

Left click once on a file you want to associate with a program to hilite it.
Next hold down the Shift key and right click on it to get the popup menu.
Select "Open With" from the list.
Select the program you want to open it with by left clicking it once.
Put a check in "Always open......."
Click Apply/Ok.

**Note: You may find it better to leave "Always open......." unchecked until
you are sure that you have the correct program you want to use. Once you are
sure of the program to use, then check it.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
>I format somedays ago my HD and re-install Windows 98SE: . I re-install
> also my scanner HP with the relative software; Now if i try to open a
> picture clicking directly from the file(photo) i can't. open.
> All the picture file (jpeg,jpg,bmp and all the format picture)are pointing
> to a strange Adobe software that i don't have installed in my PC.I need to
> open Windows Imaging and manually open the file.
> What i have wrong in my Windows?
> How can solve this strange behavior?
> Paolo

You need to change the association of each of those file types to use
something else in Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types.
Windows Imaging is not a suitable program for all picture file types,
so try IrfanView - Freeware Graphic Viewer:
http://www.irfanview.com/
(It will change the associations for you)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Paolo"
<paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote:

>I format somedays ago my HD and re-install Windows 98SE: . I re-install
>also my scanner HP with the relative software; Now if i try to open a
>picture clicking directly from the file(photo) i can't. open.
>All the picture file (jpeg,jpg,bmp and all the format picture)are pointing
>to a strange Adobe software that i don't have installed in my PC.I need to
>open Windows Imaging and manually open the file.
>What i have wrong in my Windows?
>How can solve this strange behavior?
>Paolo

Paolo

Thank you for help
I don't undestand why if i click with the right is appearing only open" and
if i click ,as per your suggestion, pressing "shift" is appearing "open
with"
Paolo

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Left click once on a file you want to associate with a program to hilite
it.
> Next hold down the Shift key and right click on it to get the popup menu.
> Select "Open With" from the list.
> Select the program you want to open it with by left clicking it once.
> Put a check in "Always open......."
> Click Apply/Ok.
>
> **Note: You may find it better to leave "Always open......." unchecked
until
> you are sure that you have the correct program you want to use. Once you
are
> sure of the program to use, then check it.
>

> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> >I format somedays ago my HD and re-install Windows 98SE: . I re-install
> > also my scanner HP with the relative software; Now if i try to open a
> > picture clicking directly from the file(photo) i can't. open.
> > All the picture file (jpeg,jpg,bmp and all the format picture)are
pointing
> > to a strange Adobe software that i don't have installed in my PC.I need
> > open Windows Imaging and manually open the file.
> > What i have wrong in my Windows?
> > How can solve this strange behavior?
> > Paolo

It is a "feature"....the "Open With" option for files that are already registered is
hidden unless you press the Shift key, probably to prevent users from messing up
their file associations too easily, but still giving the ability using the Shift
key.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Thank you for help
> I don't undestand why if i click with the right is appearing only open" and
> if i click ,as per your suggestion, pressing "shift" is appearing "open
> with"
> Paolo
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Left click once on a file you want to associate with a program to hilite
> it.
> > Next hold down the Shift key and right click on it to get the popup menu.
> > Select "Open With" from the list.
> > Select the program you want to open it with by left clicking it once.
> > Put a check in "Always open......."
> > Click Apply/Ok.
> >
> > **Note: You may find it better to leave "Always open......." unchecked
> until
> > you are sure that you have the correct program you want to use. Once you
> are
> > sure of the program to use, then check it.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Brian A.
> >
> > Conflicts start where information lacks.
> > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Paolo" <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote in message
> > >I format somedays ago my HD and re-install Windows 98SE: . I re-install
> > > also my scanner HP with the relative software; Now if i try to open a
> > > picture clicking directly from the file(photo) i can't. open.
> > > All the picture file (jpeg,jpg,bmp and all the format picture)are
> pointing
> > > to a strange Adobe software that i don't have installed in my PC.I need
> > > open Windows Imaging and manually open the file.
> > > What i have wrong in my Windows?
> > > How can solve this strange behavior?
> > > Paolo

Paolo

Thank Alan
i download Irfan View and i solve these problem.
Great software these IRFAN View
Paolo
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> ha scritto nel messaggio
> You need to change the association of each of those file types to use
> something else in Explorer-View-Folder Options-File Types.
> Windows Imaging is not a suitable program for all picture file types,
> so try IrfanView - Freeware Graphic Viewer:
> http://www.irfanview.com/
> (It will change the associations for you)
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Paolo"
> <paolotripi@aliceposta.it> wrote:
>
> >I format somedays ago my HD and re-install Windows 98SE: . I re-install
> >also my scanner HP with the relative software; Now if i try to open a
> >picture clicking directly from the file(photo) i can't. open.
> >All the picture file (jpeg,jpg,bmp and all the format picture)are
pointing
> >to a strange Adobe software that i don't have installed in my PC.I need
> >open Windows Imaging and manually open the file.
> >What i have wrong in my Windows?
> >How can solve this strange behavior?
> >Paolo

That's the function of the Shift key - it causes the menu options to change.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)