Phantom Acrobat Reader opening on web page view

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 26, 2005 4:25:07 PM

Hello. I'm posting this question in this group because I think it may be a
Windows 98SE file association issue. I noticed when I go to a particular web
site using Internet Explorer 6, (I think the offender the last time was
www.mobilemag.com), I briefly see the Acrobat Reader 4 (that's the latest
version I have) splash screen come up, then it goes away. The Acrord32
process remains active; I can ctrl-alt-del to end it though. The page
doesn't have any embedded Acrobat/PDF stuff on it, as far as I can tell
(looking at the HTML code behind the page). Ending Acrord32 doesn't affect
anything on the page.

This doesn't happen if I go to the above site with Firefox; that is, the
page loads, and Acrobat Reader doesn't launch. It still seems to me like a
Windows file association mix up though, since IE is so tightly integrated
with Windows. Anyone know what could cause the above? Thanks.

March 26, 2005 4:58:26 PM

Try updating to Adobe Acrobat Reader v7.
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/n...

Fr@nk wrote:
> Hello. I'm posting this question in this group because I think it may be a
> Windows 98SE file association issue. I noticed when I go to a particular
> web site using Internet Explorer 6, (I think the offender the last time
> was www.mobilemag.com), I briefly see the Acrobat Reader 4 (that's the
> latest version I have) splash screen come up, then it goes away. The
> Acrord32 process remains active; I can ctrl-alt-del to end it though. The
> page doesn't have any embedded Acrobat/PDF stuff on it, as far as I can
> tell (looking at the HTML code behind the page). Ending Acrord32 doesn't
> affect anything on the page.
>
> This doesn't happen if I go to the above site with Firefox; that is, the
> page loads, and Acrobat Reader doesn't launch. It still seems to me like a
> Windows file association mix up though, since IE is so tightly integrated
> with Windows. Anyone know what could cause the above? Thanks.

March 26, 2005 9:23:02 PM

There are Shockwave Flash objects loading on that page, so I think you may have
incorrectly gotten Flash objects associated with Acrobat Reader.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote in message
> Hello. I'm posting this question in this group because I think it may be a
> Windows 98SE file association issue. I noticed when I go to a particular web
> site using Internet Explorer 6, (I think the offender the last time was
> www.mobilemag.com), I briefly see the Acrobat Reader 4 (that's the latest
> version I have) splash screen come up, then it goes away. The Acrord32
> process remains active; I can ctrl-alt-del to end it though. The page
> doesn't have any embedded Acrobat/PDF stuff on it, as far as I can tell
> (looking at the HTML code behind the page). Ending Acrord32 doesn't affect
> anything on the page.
>
> This doesn't happen if I go to the above site with Firefox; that is, the
> page loads, and Acrobat Reader doesn't launch. It still seems to me like a
> Windows file association mix up though, since IE is so tightly integrated
> with Windows. Anyone know what could cause the above? Thanks.

March 26, 2005 10:07:28 PM

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in news:e4zyLXjMFHA.688
@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

> Try updating to Adobe Acrobat Reader v7.
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

Acrobat reader v7 will not install in W98. The latest version for W9X is
6.0.2
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 10:07:29 PM

Ingeborg wrote:
> "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in news:e4zyLXjMFHA.688
> @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
>
> > Try updating to Adobe Acrobat Reader v7.
> > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
>
> Acrobat reader v7 will not install in W98. The latest version for W9X is
> 6.0.2

OK.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:20:48 AM

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:25:07
-0500 "Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> posted:

>Hello. I'm posting this question in this group because I think it may be a
>Windows 98SE file association issue. I noticed when I go to a particular web
>site using Internet Explorer 6, (I think the offender the last time was
>www.mobilemag.com), I briefly see the Acrobat Reader 4 (that's the latest
>version I have) splash screen come up, then it goes away. The Acrord32
>process remains active; I can ctrl-alt-del to end it though.

This isn't in answer to your actual question but:

There is a preference in Acrobat that determines if it remains loaded
or not after it's closed. I currently don't have memory to spare, so
I had to change it so it went away when not in use. This works the
same whether one is using Acrobat in a browser window or directly
under windows. I think I'm still using version 5.

I'm not sure the advantage of leaving it loaded, except a little time
spent loading it each time. And in this case, for testing purposes
until you get your associations or whatever right.

>The page
>doesn't have any embedded Acrobat/PDF stuff on it, as far as I can tell
>(looking at the HTML code behind the page). Ending Acrord32 doesn't affect
>anything on the page.
>
>This doesn't happen if I go to the above site with Firefox; that is, the
>page loads, and Acrobat Reader doesn't launch. It still seems to me like a
>Windows file association mix up though, since IE is so tightly integrated
>with Windows. Anyone know what could cause the above? Thanks.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

The 6.0.2 is for 98se.
They have 5.1 as the latest for 98.
--
mae

"Ingeborg" <a@b.invalid> wrote in message
| "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in news:e4zyLXjMFHA.688
| @TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:
|
| > Try updating to Adobe Acrobat Reader v7.
| > http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
|
| Acrobat reader v7 will not install in W98. The latest version for W9X is
| 6.0.2
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 4:01:52 AM

"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:25:07
> -0500 "Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> posted:
>
> snip
> There is a preference in Acrobat that determines if it remains loaded
> or not after it's closed. I currently don't have memory to spare, so
> I had to change it so it went away when not in use. This works the
> same whether one is using Acrobat in a browser window or directly
> under windows. I think I'm still using version 5.

I am using version 5.x.....where do you see that option? I do not see it in the
Edit> Preferences menus
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 5:57:45 AM

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:01:52
-0500 "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> posted:

>"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:25:07
>> -0500 "Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> posted:
>>
>> snip
>> There is a preference in Acrobat that determines if it remains loaded
>> or not after it's closed. I currently don't have memory to spare, so
>> I had to change it so it went away when not in use. This works the
>> same whether one is using Acrobat in a browser window or directly
>> under windows. I think I'm still using version 5.
>
>I am using version 5.x.....where do you see that option? I do not see it in the
>Edit> Preferences menus

I didn't realize it either when I looked the first few times. It only
mentions the advantage and not the disadvantage, like most of what
politicians say.

It's under Options, Allow Fast Web View.

Even though it only makes mention of the web, it has the same effect
when run from an icon or by clicking on a file.

If Frank can't solve his problem, changing this would at least lessen
it.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
March 27, 2005 2:02:25 PM

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Sun, 27 Mar 2005 00:01:52
> -0500 "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> posted:
>
> >"meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message
> >> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion on Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:25:07
> >> -0500 "Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> posted:
> >>
> >> snip
> >> There is a preference in Acrobat that determines if it remains loaded
> >> or not after it's closed. I currently don't have memory to spare, so
> >> I had to change it so it went away when not in use. This works the
> >> same whether one is using Acrobat in a browser window or directly
> >> under windows. I think I'm still using version 5.
> >
> >I am using version 5.x.....where do you see that option? I do not see it in the
> >Edit> Preferences menus
>
> I didn't realize it either when I looked the first few times. It only
> mentions the advantage and not the disadvantage, like most of what
> politicians say.
>
> It's under Options, Allow Fast Web View.
>
> Even though it only makes mention of the web, it has the same effect
> when run from an icon or by clicking on a file.
>
> If Frank can't solve his problem, changing this would at least lessen
> it.

Ahh...so disabling Fast Web View will keep that Acrord32 task from staying resident
after closing a webpage-embedded PDF file? That would be great.....we use browser
integration at work (I don't at home), and I would like to end that unnecessary
hanger-on. :-) I'll give it a try next week.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 12:31:47 AM

> There are Shockwave Flash objects loading on that page, so I think you may
have
> incorrectly gotten Flash objects associated with Acrobat Reader.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

You're right about Flash objects loading on the page, but all the animations
seem to be running fine. In fact, the page loads, several seconds go by
(almost the same time as a redirect), then Acrobat Reader starts up. I
really don't think this is an Acrobat issue; Acrobat shouldn't even be
launched. It seems like Internet Explorer is interpreting some of the html
code on the page as a call to Windows to open Acrobat. Maybe it does an
If...then routine and (incorrectly) determines I don't have the Flash plugin
installed...so it sends some sort of shell command (or javascript?) to
Windows.

Again, Acrobat does NOT launch when I view this page in Firefox; only IE.
I'm about to go get the new(est) version of Acrobat Reader I can run on
98SE. I'll post results if that fixes anything. Thanks for the suggestions;
keep 'em coming.

March 28, 2005 1:45:40 AM

> You're right about Flash objects loading on the page, but all the
animations
> seem to be running fine. In fact, the page loads, several seconds go by
> (almost the same time as a redirect), then Acrobat Reader starts up. I
> really don't think this is an Acrobat issue; Acrobat shouldn't even be
> launched. It seems like Internet Explorer is interpreting some of the html
> code on the page as a call to Windows to open Acrobat. Maybe it does an
> If...then routine and (incorrectly) determines I don't have the Flash
plugin
> installed...so it sends some sort of shell command (or javascript?) to
> Windows.
>
> Again, Acrobat does NOT launch when I view this page in Firefox; only IE.
> I'm about to go get the new(est) version of Acrobat Reader I can run on
> 98SE. I'll post results if that fixes anything. Thanks for the
suggestions;
> keep 'em coming.

Well, I uninstalled Acrobat 4, and downloaded/installed Reader 6. I
intentionally told it to NOT enable viewing of PDFs on web pages, because in
my experience that's very buggy. Anyway, after the install I went back to
www.mobilemag.com in IE, and whaddya know? Acrobat DIDN'T launch this time!
You guys were right! All I can think is the Acrobat installer goes through
all the file associations, and that may have corrected something that wasn't
right. Thanks for helping me with a really pretty insignificant, but
annoying glitch!

March 28, 2005 2:42:09 AM

Probably a combination of the uninstall and the install fixed any association
errors. I prefer not using the web integration either, since most of the time the
PDF files I view online are manuals or forms that I would like to download and save,
anyway.
Glad to hear you got rid of the annoyance.
--

> "Fr@nk" <fr@apaNOSP@AMwizard.net> wrote in message
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>

> > You're right about Flash objects loading on the page, but all the
> animations
> > seem to be running fine. In fact, the page loads, several seconds go by
> > (almost the same time as a redirect), then Acrobat Reader starts up. I
> > really don't think this is an Acrobat issue; Acrobat shouldn't even be
> > launched. It seems like Internet Explorer is interpreting some of the html
> > code on the page as a call to Windows to open Acrobat. Maybe it does an
> > If...then routine and (incorrectly) determines I don't have the Flash
> plugin
> > installed...so it sends some sort of shell command (or javascript?) to
> > Windows.
> >
> > Again, Acrobat does NOT launch when I view this page in Firefox; only IE.
> > I'm about to go get the new(est) version of Acrobat Reader I can run on
> > 98SE. I'll post results if that fixes anything. Thanks for the
> suggestions;
> > keep 'em coming.
> >

> Well, I uninstalled Acrobat 4, and downloaded/installed Reader 6. I
> intentionally told it to NOT enable viewing of PDFs on web pages, because in
> my experience that's very buggy. Anyway, after the install I went back to
> www.mobilemag.com in IE, and whaddya know? Acrobat DIDN'T launch this time!
> You guys were right! All I can think is the Acrobat installer goes through
> all the file associations, and that may have corrected something that wasn't
> right. Thanks for helping me with a really pretty insignificant, but
> annoying glitch!

April 11, 2005 9:35:54 PM

Well, I tested it on a couple of systems, and it does not fix the problem.
Disabling 'Fast Web View' does not prevent acrord32 from continuing to run after the
pdf file is closed in the browser. In fact, acrord32 is still running even after
closing all open browser windows.
--
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

!