Mouse Problem..

Hi

I am having a problem with my mouse and possibly IE. First, I periodically
get shutdown from AOL. Then when I restart, I get a message that reads
Windows does not detect a mouse PS/2. Then after repeated reboots i am able
to get past that message and logon. After maybe a few minutes online, my
screen goes nuts with the pointer moving around on its own and almost all the
taskbar links poping open and my whole screen is filled with windows opening
and closing independently. Has my mouse, browser and computer been hijacked?
i have hijack this. I can't determine what that is contained in the
hijackthis scan is a possible problem. Also, could it be something I am
missing when I run a virus scan-nothing found and I run registry
Mechanic--problem still there. Whats wrong?

Have you tried a different mouse? Certainly sounds like the first step.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Romero; romrbb@aol.com" <Romeroromrbbaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am having a problem with my mouse and possibly IE. First, I
periodically
> get shutdown from AOL. Then when I restart, I get a message that reads
> Windows does not detect a mouse PS/2. Then after repeated reboots i am
able
> to get past that message and logon. After maybe a few minutes online,
my
> screen goes nuts with the pointer moving around on its own and almost
all the
> taskbar links poping open and my whole screen is filled with windows
opening
> and closing independently. Has my mouse, browser and computer been
hijacked?
> i have hijack this. I can't determine what that is contained in the
> hijackthis scan is a possible problem. Also, could it be something I
am
> missing when I run a virus scan-nothing found and I run registry
> Mechanic--problem still there. Whats wrong?

A mouse point moving left/right, up/down about the screen can be a hardware
problem association. This is usually a video card associated problem. When
its associated with opening applications/tasks, it is probably not a
hardware problem, but can be.

Windows normally looks for a PS/2 mouse upon windows boot. But, you never
indicated what type mouse you're using. That is, PS/2, USB, or serial.

Shutting down from AOL means what? Does the PC freeze and force a hard boot
(PC's physical power button or reset button)? Or, does the PC shutdown to
dead in the water by itself?

Does the PC open applications or tasks when not attached to the internet?

What event eliminates windows not displaying lack of finding a PS/2 mouse
during your multiple reboots? Are you doing anything to foster this?
"Romero; romrbb@aol.com" <Romeroromrbbaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:1B83795E-AC23-4A0A-828C-ABCF49106322@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I am having a problem with my mouse and possibly IE. First, I periodically
> get shutdown from AOL. Then when I restart, I get a message that reads
> Windows does not detect a mouse PS/2. Then after repeated reboots i am
able
> to get past that message and logon. After maybe a few minutes online, my
> screen goes nuts with the pointer moving around on its own and almost all
the
> taskbar links poping open and my whole screen is filled with windows
opening
> and closing independently. Has my mouse, browser and computer been
hijacked?
> i have hijack this. I can't determine what that is contained in the
> hijackthis scan is a possible problem. Also, could it be something I am
> missing when I run a virus scan-nothing found and I run registry
> Mechanic--problem still there. Whats wrong?

I have a PS/2 mouse Logitech brand and it is about 5 yrs old. When it
shutsdown my AOL just closes and usually it precipitates the windows and
taskbar opening all over the screen--and it shutsdown as though i am logging
off by click--but it is done without my assistance. Yes PC opens
applications when not connected to internet. As for being able to reboot and
logon after these events, I just continue to reboot until the "windows does
not detect" message does not appear. Also, I sort work the ball on the mouse
around a bit. Don't know if this have any true affect or not on everything
returing to normal However, when computer does seem normal it does not last
long. And I start that process all over again.--Thanks!
"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> A mouse point moving left/right, up/down about the screen can be a hardware
> problem association. This is usually a video card associated problem. When
> its associated with opening applications/tasks, it is probably not a
> hardware problem, but can be.
>
> Windows normally looks for a PS/2 mouse upon windows boot. But, you never
> indicated what type mouse you're using. That is, PS/2, USB, or serial.
>
> Shutting down from AOL means what? Does the PC freeze and force a hard boot
> (PC's physical power button or reset button)? Or, does the PC shutdown to
> dead in the water by itself?
>
> Does the PC open applications or tasks when not attached to the internet?
>
> What event eliminates windows not displaying lack of finding a PS/2 mouse
> during your multiple reboots? Are you doing anything to foster this?
> "Romero; romrbb@aol.com" <Romeroromrbbaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:1B83795E-AC23-4A0A-828C-ABCF49106322@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I am having a problem with my mouse and possibly IE. First, I periodically
> > get shutdown from AOL. Then when I restart, I get a message that reads
> > Windows does not detect a mouse PS/2. Then after repeated reboots i am
> able
> > to get past that message and logon. After maybe a few minutes online, my
> > screen goes nuts with the pointer moving around on its own and almost all
> the
> > taskbar links poping open and my whole screen is filled with windows
> opening
> > and closing independently. Has my mouse, browser and computer been
> hijacked?
> > i have hijack this. I can't determine what that is contained in the
> > hijackthis scan is a possible problem. Also, could it be something I am
> > missing when I run a virus scan-nothing found and I run registry
> > Mechanic--problem still there. Whats wrong?

Replace the mouse.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
wrote in message news:320796C2-C9C8-460B-A2CA-FA5AF02F8052@microsoft.com...

> I have a PS/2 mouse Logitech brand and it is about 5 yrs old. When it
> shutsdown my AOL just closes and usually it precipitates the windows and
> taskbar opening all over the screen--and it shutsdown as though i am
> logging
> off by click--but it is done without my assistance. Yes PC opens
> applications when not connected to internet. As for being able to reboot
> and
> logon after these events, I just continue to reboot until the "windows
> does
> not detect" message does not appear. Also, I sort work the ball on the
> mouse
> around a bit. Don't know if this have any true affect or not on everything
> returing to normal However, when computer does seem normal it does not
> last
> long. And I start that process all over again.--Thanks!

I bought and installed a new mouse..It fixed my problems..Thanks!!!

"Jeff Richards" wrote:

> Replace the mouse.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> "Romero; romrbb@aol.com" <Romeroromrbbaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:320796C2-C9C8-460B-A2CA-FA5AF02F8052@microsoft.com...
> >
> > I have a PS/2 mouse Logitech brand and it is about 5 yrs old. When it
> > shutsdown my AOL just closes and usually it precipitates the windows and
> > taskbar opening all over the screen--and it shutsdown as though i am
> > logging
> > off by click--but it is done without my assistance. Yes PC opens
> > applications when not connected to internet. As for being able to reboot
> > and
> > logon after these events, I just continue to reboot until the "windows
> > does
> > not detect" message does not appear. Also, I sort work the ball on the
> > mouse
> > around a bit. Don't know if this have any true affect or not on everything
> > returing to normal However, when computer does seem normal it does not
> > last
> > long. And I start that process all over again.--Thanks!

Thanks for letting us know that you fixed it.