Cannot format a network drive

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 27, 2005 4:13:01 AM

When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network drive" which
I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.

This pc has 2 hdd connected to the same ide cable,
When I got htis pc, 1st hd is Quantum Fireball Tm in which it is connected
to the last connector. There are only 3 pins in the 'normal' jumper 'socket'
instead of the ususal '4' and there are no jumpers on these pins.
The 2nd hd is Maxtor which is connected to the middle connector and with the
jumper horizontal across the pins, I presume Maxtor is set as slave.

To reformat Quantum, I took out the Maxtor, I insert 'system disk' diskette
in floppy and power on the pc. The following text appears'

{{ Venturis GL 6200
System Ram passed .....
System Bios shadowed
Video Bios shadowed
UMB Upper limit segment address F178
Failure Fixed Disk 1
Mouse initialised..
Press F1 to resume F2 to 'setup'}}
When I press F1 to resume and will gave the bios data like this

Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
Co-processor installed
........etc
Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
hard disk 2 = none
hard disk 3 =none
(Fyi dont seems to be able to change HD1 from 6480 to 2110 when I connect
Quantum to the middle connector)

it will read "A" and I was able to reformat and install w98se and it works
fine.

On the 2nd hd, I took it out and I connect up to another pc (os is win2k)
and does a reformat under fat32 system and downloaded 'Evererest' into his hd.
I then connected back into the old pc as slave (same ide cable as quantum
which means its in the same connecting arrangement when I first got it) and
power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).

So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
(single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
message
"Cannot format a network drive"

What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
slave.
My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please
help, thanks

More about : format network drive

March 27, 2005 8:48:17 AM

In news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com,
iwrpwrri <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network
> drive" which I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.
<snip>

In the system setup utility (often called BIOS or, more aptly CMOS setup
utility) do you have it set to boot to a networked drive?

Galen
March 27, 2005 11:39:02 AM

Galen,
No, its not set to boot to a network drive.
The boot sequence is either A, Hd or CD ROM or Hd,A, CD ROM depending on
which one I want it to boot first

Ben & Bill, will try to figure out. Really exploring the unknown jungle to me.

Many thanks for your help.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com,
> iwrpwrri <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network
> > drive" which I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.
> <snip>
>
> In the system setup utility (often called BIOS or, more aptly CMOS setup
> utility) do you have it set to boot to a networked drive?
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

March 27, 2005 12:31:36 PM

Try using Maxblast4 to format the drive.

http://tinyurl.com/3nz9y

Ben

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com...
> When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network drive" which
> I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.
>
> This pc has 2 hdd connected to the same ide cable,
> When I got htis pc, 1st hd is Quantum Fireball Tm in which it is connected
> to the last connector. There are only 3 pins in the 'normal' jumper 'socket'
> instead of the ususal '4' and there are no jumpers on these pins.
> The 2nd hd is Maxtor which is connected to the middle connector and with the
> jumper horizontal across the pins, I presume Maxtor is set as slave.
>
> To reformat Quantum, I took out the Maxtor, I insert 'system disk' diskette
> in floppy and power on the pc. The following text appears'
>
> {{ Venturis GL 6200
> System Ram passed .....
> System Bios shadowed
> Video Bios shadowed
> UMB Upper limit segment address F178
> Failure Fixed Disk 1
> Mouse initialised..
> Press F1 to resume F2 to 'setup'}}
> When I press F1 to resume and will gave the bios data like this
>
> Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
> cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
> Co-processor installed
> .......etc
> Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
> hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
> hard disk 2 = none
> hard disk 3 =none
> (Fyi dont seems to be able to change HD1 from 6480 to 2110 when I connect
> Quantum to the middle connector)
>
> it will read "A" and I was able to reformat and install w98se and it works
> fine.
>
> On the 2nd hd, I took it out and I connect up to another pc (os is win2k)
> and does a reformat under fat32 system and downloaded 'Evererest' into his hd.
> I then connected back into the old pc as slave (same ide cable as quantum
> which means its in the same connecting arrangement when I first got it) and
> power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
> the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
>
> So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
> master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
> F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
> (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
> message
> "Cannot format a network drive"
>
> What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
> just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
> slave.
> My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
> as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please
> help, thanks
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 12:41:07 PM

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com...
> When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network drive" which
> I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.

[snip]

> "Cannot format a network drive"
>
> What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
> just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
> slave.

If you do a search at the manufacturers web-site on the model number you
should be able to find a diagram of the jumper settings. If not Google for
it. Having the hardware configured correctly is job number one.
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 3:28:05 PM

You need to first of all check that the jumper settings are correct. The drives
should have a label on them, showing a diagram of the jumper configurations. On the
Maxtor there may actually be two jumpers that have to be installed on the jumper
pins, depending on what model the Maxtor drive is. Please post back with the exact
model numbers and names of the drives....that should be on the label also.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network drive" which
> I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.
>
> This pc has 2 hdd connected to the same ide cable,
> When I got htis pc, 1st hd is Quantum Fireball Tm in which it is connected
> to the last connector. There are only 3 pins in the 'normal' jumper 'socket'
> instead of the ususal '4' and there are no jumpers on these pins.
> The 2nd hd is Maxtor which is connected to the middle connector and with the
> jumper horizontal across the pins, I presume Maxtor is set as slave.
>
> To reformat Quantum, I took out the Maxtor, I insert 'system disk' diskette
> in floppy and power on the pc. The following text appears'
>
> {{ Venturis GL 6200
> System Ram passed .....
> System Bios shadowed
> Video Bios shadowed
> UMB Upper limit segment address F178
> Failure Fixed Disk 1
> Mouse initialised..
> Press F1 to resume F2 to 'setup'}}
> When I press F1 to resume and will gave the bios data like this
>
> Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
> cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
> Co-processor installed
> .......etc
> Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
> hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
> hard disk 2 = none
> hard disk 3 =none
> (Fyi dont seems to be able to change HD1 from 6480 to 2110 when I connect
> Quantum to the middle connector)
>
> it will read "A" and I was able to reformat and install w98se and it works
> fine.
>
> On the 2nd hd, I took it out and I connect up to another pc (os is win2k)
> and does a reformat under fat32 system and downloaded 'Evererest' into his hd.
> I then connected back into the old pc as slave (same ide cable as quantum
> which means its in the same connecting arrangement when I first got it) and
> power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
> the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
>
> So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
> master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
> F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
> (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
> message
> "Cannot format a network drive"
>
> What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
> just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
> slave.
> My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
> as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please
> help, thanks
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 8:53:02 PM

Maxtor N256
model 90648D3

as for Quantum 3.5 series
Fireball tm
2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
5m70900864

there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
the jumper
slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
jumper).
(normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
in total)

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> > power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
> > the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
> >
> > So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
> > master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
> > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
> > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
> > message
> > "Cannot format a network drive"
> >
> > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
> > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
> > slave.
> > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
> > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:32:38 AM

Jumper the first two vertical pins of the Maxtor for master or single, remove or
park the jumper for slave. see-
http://pms.colonpee.com/misc/hdd.maxtor.dm4320.txt

You already have the Quantum diagram.

Put the master on the end connector of the cable and the slave on the
middle connector.

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ED246F6-3790-4B2E-966B-357D386C8D71@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
>> > the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
>> >
>> > So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
>> > master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
>> > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
>> > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
>> > message
>> > "Cannot format a network drive"
>> >
>> > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
>> > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
>> > slave.
>> > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
>> > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 2:09:08 AM

Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:
http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation...
Also seen here with further documentation:
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/endus...

For the Quantum drive, look here:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr....
Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the jumper
pins you describe on your drive.

The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the jumpers
set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where you
have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install one of
them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the IDE
AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to detect
the drive correctly.
--
> [...]

> > > power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
> > > the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
> > >
> > > So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
> > > master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
> > > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
> > > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
> > > message
> > > "Cannot format a network drive"
> > >
> > > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
> > > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
> > > slave.
> > > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
> > > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:05:02 AM

Thats exactly what I did. The Maxtor is connected in the middle without any
jumper. The Quantum is connected to the end but there is no jumper. What I
dont understand is that the diagram given on the Quantum hd does not seems to
tally with the pins it has.

Physically there are only 3 pins and to set the various configuration, it
shows 4 rows across and 2 vertical down (meaning 8 pins in all). So it seems
the problem lies here while I just cannot figure out, how to set as master,
see what I mean.
When I have the above fixation (max-slave, no jumper) and Quantum (connected
to end connector and no pint) and try to boot up the pc, it just would not
load the W98SE.

If I take out Maxtor, and boot up, it will say " Failure Fixed Disk 1" and
after a while it will contiune to boot up and goes to desktop and works fine.

"glee" wrote:

> Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:
> http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation...
> Also seen here with further documentation:
> http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/endus...
>
> For the Quantum drive, look here:
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr....
> Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the jumper
> pins you describe on your drive.
>
> The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the jumpers
> set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where you
> have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install one of
> them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the IDE
> AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to detect
> the drive correctly.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Maxtor N256
> > model 90648D3
> >
> > as for Quantum 3.5 series
> > Fireball tm
> > 2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
> > 5m70900864
> >
> > there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
> > the jumper
> > slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
> > jumper).
> > (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
> > in total)
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > You need to first of all check that the jumper settings are correct. The drives
> > > should have a label on them, showing a diagram of the jumper configurations. On
> the
> > > Maxtor there may actually be two jumpers that have to be installed on the jumper
> > > pins, depending on what model the Maxtor drive is. Please post back with the
> exact
> > > model numbers and names of the drives....that should be on the label also.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 5:01:03 PM

glee,
apologiise, some how I did not read/miss your post before my earlier
response. On the Qunatum Tm, I realised now where the jumpers are located.
Looking at hte diagram for the Tm series, it has jumper in the park and ds as
well. This according to the diagram is set as master to slave.
On the maxtor, Ihe jumper over the J44 and J42 positions is in the jumper
storage position (slave).
With the above 2 hdd configurations, quantum been connected to the pri(end)
connector and maxtor connected to the middle connector, I power on the pc and
goes as far ar giving the bios data:-

Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
Co-processor installed
........etc
Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
hard disk 2 = none
hard disk 3 =none

and hang there or at least the cursor keeps on blinking and nothing happen.
The w98se is definitely in Quantum as on its own, able to go to desktop. Any
idea what is causing the pc to not load the os, thanks

"glee" wrote:

> Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:
> http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation...
> Also seen here with further documentation:
> http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/endus...
>
> For the Quantum drive, look here:
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr....
> Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the jumper
> pins you describe on your drive.
>
> The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the jumpers
> set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where you
> have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install one of
> them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the IDE
> AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to detect
> the drive correctly.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Maxtor N256
> > model 90648D3
> >
> > as for Quantum 3.5 series
> > Fireball tm
> > 2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
> > 5m70900864
> >
> > there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
> > the jumper
> > slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
> > jumper).
> > (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
> > in total)
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > You need to first of all check that the jumper settings are correct. The drives
> > > should have a label on them, showing a diagram of the jumper configurations. On
> the
> > > Maxtor there may actually be two jumpers that have to be installed on the jumper
> > > pins, depending on what model the Maxtor drive is. Please post back with the
> exact
> > > model numbers and names of the drives....that should be on the label also.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >

> > > "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:11:47 PM

> glee,
> apologiise, some how I did not read/miss your post before my earlier
> response. On the Qunatum Tm, I realised now where the jumpers are located.
> Looking at hte diagram for the Tm series, it has jumper in the park and ds as
> well. This according to the diagram is set as master to slave.

Yes, that should be a 'Master' setting there.

> On the maxtor, Ihe jumper over the J44 and J42 positions is in the jumper
> storage position (slave).

Right, that's the slave setting.

> With the above 2 hdd configurations, quantum been connected to the pri(end)
> connector and maxtor connected to the middle connector,

OK, so the Quantum is jumpered Master and set to the end connector on the cable,
Maxtor jumpered Slave and attached to the middle connector....so far, so good.

> I power on the pc and
> goes as far ar giving the bios data:-
>
> Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
> cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
> Co-processor installed
> .......etc
> Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)

When you connect the Maxtor to the end connector (I assume this is what you mean)
and want to boot from it, you must change the jumper setting to make it the Master,
and you must re-detect the hard drives in the BIOS so that the new drive positions
are enumerated. Also, you have to make the C: partition on that drive the Active
(boot) partition, usually done by using FDISK to set a partition as Active.
> hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
> hard disk 2 = none
> hard disk 3 =none
>
> and hang there or at least the cursor keeps on blinking and nothing happen.
> The w98se is definitely in Quantum as on its own, able to go to desktop. Any
> idea what is causing the pc to not load the os, thanks

So you are saying that if you physically remove the Maxtor from the cables so that
the Quantum is alone, it boots from the Quantum? Have you re-detected the drives in
the BIOS setup after all this? What is your purpose for having two drives both with
operating systems on them? Exactly what setup do you want to have on the computer,
with what drives and what operating systems?

Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not be either
of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to set the drive to
ATA/33 maximum.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation...
> > Also seen here with further documentation:

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/endus...

> > For the Quantum drive, look here:
> > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr....
> > Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the
jumper
> > pins you describe on your drive.
> >
> > The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the
jumpers
> > set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where
you
> > have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install
one of
> > them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the
IDE
> > AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to
detect
> > the drive correctly.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Maxtor N256
> > > model 90648D3
> > >
> > > as for Quantum 3.5 series
> > > Fireball tm
> > > 2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
> > > 5m70900864
> > >
> > > there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
> > > the jumper
> > > slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
> > > jumper).
> > > (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
> > > in total)

On
> > the
> > exact

and

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:33:57 AM

I can't really make out if you have them jumpered correctly or not. You might
try setting them both as "single" and moving the maxtor to the other channel.
("single", assuming of course, there is no other slave device, such as CD-ROM)
Don't know about the Quantum, but "single" should be the same jumper
position as "master" for the Maxtor.

"iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDC155DC-4B1F-45AE-87CC-CC48D08285C1@microsoft.com...
> glee,
> apologiise, some how I did not read/miss your post before my earlier
> response. On the Qunatum Tm, I realised now where the jumpers are located.
> Looking at hte diagram for the Tm series, it has jumper in the park and ds as
> well. This according to the diagram is set as master to slave.
> On the maxtor, Ihe jumper over the J44 and J42 positions is in the jumper
> storage position (slave).
> With the above 2 hdd configurations, quantum been connected to the pri(end)
> connector and maxtor connected to the middle connector, I power on the pc and
> goes as far ar giving the bios data:-
>
> Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
> cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
> Co-processor installed
> .......etc
> Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
> hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
> hard disk 2 = none
> hard disk 3 =none
>
> and hang there or at least the cursor keeps on blinking and nothing happen.
> The w98se is definitely in Quantum as on its own, able to go to desktop. Any
> idea what is causing the pc to not load the os, thanks
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
>> Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:
>> http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation...
>> Also seen here with further documentation:
>> http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/endus...
>>
>> For the Quantum drive, look here:
>> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr....
>> Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the jumper
>> pins you describe on your drive.
>>
>> The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the jumpers
>> set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where you
>> have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install one of
>> them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the IDE
>> AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to detect
>> the drive correctly.
>> --
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Maxtor N256
>> > model 90648D3
>> >
>> > as for Quantum 3.5 series
>> > Fireball tm
>> > 2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
>> > 5m70900864
>> >
>> > there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
>> > the jumper
>> > slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
>> > jumper).
>> > (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
>> > in total)

>> the
>> exact

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:25:08 AM

my objective is since I have 2 hdd, I will try to use them Quantum as master
(for the 98se) and Maxtor as slave for storage. I was able to install the
98se into Quantum and when only 1 hdd physically (in the pc ansd bios
detected as Disk 0, 2110 MB), I was able to get to desktop. The problem
started when I attached Maxtor (Disk 1, 6480 MB) as pri slave and I cannot
get to desktop.

If I cannot use the 2 hdd, I would be happy with only 1 hdd in the pc,
naturally with Maxtor and discard the Quantum and thats why I try to load 98
into Maxtor.

Ref to my previous post:-
your quote "Yes, that should be a 'Master' setting there"
when I say " This according to the diagram is set as master to slave". This
is the exact statement from quantum link below
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_tm....
So I presume that setting with jumper at PK and DS, Quantum means it is set
as "Master"

Since I cannot get to desktop when 2 hdd are in the pc, I decided I will
have 1 hdd, Maxtor (and discard Quantum)

and try to install the 98se. So connect to the end of the pri connector, set
as master and set the bios as auto (in which it will show 6480 Hard Disk 0 )
and boot sequence as A,hdd,CD rom. and restart the pc with the floppy inside.
I was able to create the partition in which only 1 partition and make active.
When I reboot to format c:, it then give me a message "cannot format a
network drive"
and when I change to c:\dir/w, it give the follow:-

CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
-dont understand what does that means.

when I restart again, after the bios message (which give Hard Disk 0 = 6480
MB , HD 1/2/3 -none)
the cursor just keeps nlinking and nothing happen. (the green light on the
floppy disk drive is always green. I change another floppy disk drive, its
also the same, the cursor keeps bliknking and light stays green)
where can it go wrong? and I hope I ahve answered all your questions

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/endus...
> > >
> > > For the Quantum drive, look here:
> > > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr....
> > > Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the
> jumper
> > > pins you describe on your drive.
> > >
> > > The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the
> jumpers
> > > set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where
> you
> > > have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install
> one of
> > > them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the
> IDE
> > > AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:24:45 PM

Based on some of the information you are supplying in your last reply, I am not sure
how much experience you have inside the computer case. If the floppy light is on
all the time, that indicates that the floppy ribbon cable is connected backwards.
The red stripe on the data cable lines up with pin #1 on the drive's connector. If
you have this on wrong, the floppy light will shine continually.

I am concerned that you may not have the cabling correct on the hard drives,
although it *sounds* like you are jumpering correctly. Generally the connector for
the data cable on the hard drive is keyed so it goes on only one way, but with older
drives maybe not, so make sure you have the red stripe at pin #1 on the hard drives
also.

Your error: CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
is very strange, as the CDR101 error is for CD drives, not hard drives. Again, it
looks like you may have the drives misconfigured in the BIOS setup. If that is the
case and you are booting with the standard Windows boot floppy, the RAM drive may be
getting designated drive C: You are indicating that the BIOS is correctly
identifying the hard drive, so I am not sure how you are managing to get this error.

Are you quite sure that the BIOS is correctly detecting the Maxtor? Check if your
BIOS Setup has LBA mode enabled for the drive.

I suggest you wipe the Maxtor drive clean by deleting all partitions with FDISK, and
start over with just the one drive set and jumpered as Master/Single, make doubly
sure that ALL the cables are correctly connected, and start over in the BIOS,
redetecting all the drives installed at that time.

How to Install A Second Hard Drive as a Slave Drive in Win98:
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.ph...

How to Delete a Partition:
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.ph...

How to Create a Partition:
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.ph...

How to Format a Partition:

"wrpwrri" <wrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > The w98se is definitely in Quantum as on its own, able to go to desktop. Any
> > > idea what is causing the pc to not load the os, thanks
> >
> > So you are saying that if you physically remove the Maxtor from the cables so
that
> > the Quantum is alone, it boots from the Quantum? Have you re-detected the
drives in
> > the BIOS setup after all this? What is your purpose for having two drives both
with
> > operating systems on them? Exactly what setup do you want to have on the
computer,
> > with what drives and what operating systems?
> >
> > Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not be
either
> > of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to set the drive

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 9:15:02 PM

on the floppy drive, there is no mistake in the cabling. What I mean to say
when it stays green all the time is when its start reading. Its not the case
when you power on the pc and its starys green all the time, sori fornot
making that clear in my earlier post. The hdd is also cabled correctly with
pin1 in the right p;ace.
on the error "Your error: CDR101: Not ready reading drive c", as you can see
when I restart, it did not appear again but I post i just to show whats is
actualy I am getting as I go thru the process.
The bios when boots up have been saying Hard DisK 0/1/2/3 and it
correctedly identify the hard disk size depending on the connection.
Say if I connect Quantum as pri master, it will detect as Hrad Dsik 0 = 2110
Mb and if I add on Max as pri slave, it will say HD1 = 6480 Mb. If I
disconnect both and then put Maxtor as pri Master, I have to go to bios and
auto detect and it will read HAard Disk 0 = 640 Mb, so there is no mistake in
this area.
As suggested trying to redo with Maxtor (only) and trying to get a new
floppy drive and see if the f/drive is causing the problem not able to read
as the green light continously on when reading it. Will revert, thanks

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> > > are enumerated. Also, you have to make the C: partition on that drive the
> Active
> > > (boot) partition, usually done by using FDISK to set a partition as Active.

> > > So you are saying that if you physically remove the Maxtor from the cables so
> that
> > > the Quantum is alone, it boots from the Quantum? Have you re-detected the
> drives in
> > > the BIOS setup after all this? What is your purpose for having two drives both
> with
> > > operating systems on them? Exactly what setup do you want to have on the
> computer,
> > > with what drives and what operating systems?
> > >
> > > Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not be
> either
> > > of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to set the drive

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:19:59 AM

OK, I understand a little better now. :-)
Exactly what boot floppy disk are you using? Try this procedure:
Create a bootdisk by inserting the Windows CD in any computer running Windows (such
as a friend's or one at the library), cancel setup if it starts, then browse the CD
to the \tools\mtsutil\fat32ebd folder, and double-click the file namedfat32ebd.exe,
and follow the prompts. Use the boot diskette it creates to boot your computer, and
format the hard drive using the command:
format c:
Don't use the /s switch if you are installing from the CD, only use /s if you are
planning to install by copying the installation files from the CD to the hard drive.
--
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...

> [...]
> > > as master and set the bios as auto (in which it will show 6480 Hard Disk 0 )
> > > and boot sequence as A,hdd,CD rom. and restart the pc with the floppy inside.
> > > I was able to create the partition in which only 1 partition and make active.
> > > When I reboot to format c:, it then give me a message "cannot format a
> > > network drive"
> > > and when I change to c:\dir/w, it give the follow:-
> > >
> > > CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
> > > -dont understand what does that means.
> > >
> > > when I restart again, after the bios message (which give Hard Disk 0 = 6480
> > > MB , HD 1/2/3 -none)
> > > the cursor just keeps nlinking and nothing happen. (the green light on the
> > > floppy disk drive is always green. I change another floppy disk drive, its
> > > also the same, the cursor keeps bliknking and light stays green)
> > > where can it go wrong? and I hope I ahve answered all your questions

March 30, 2005 9:39:23 AM

The error message means that the partition you created on the Maxtor was not
found after the reboot when you attempted to format. As a consequence, the
PC is referring to your cdrom, whether it exists or not, as the C:
drive/partition.

Under the conditions you've provided, I would suggest that the Maxtor is not
provided adequate time during reboot for proper detection. You can provide
more time by forcing full RAM check, multiple times if available, in the
bios settings. Since you don't mind getting under the hood, change the ide
ribbon cable to a new 80 wire version.

Under the condition you've provided, the Maxtor alone in the PC as master,
carefully view the bios summary and see if the Maxtor was detected on
reboot. If this was successful, then use fdisk to interrogate the Maxtor
for partition information. You cannot format, unless the PC recognizes the
presence of a partition.

How is your cdrom/cdr/cdrw connected to the PC? Its not noted in the bios
summary.

Some older HDs in older PCs simply will not tolerate the existence of the
other. In such cases, they simply don't respond, or respond as anticipated.
If my memory serves me correctly, some Maxtors and WDs had this problem when
in same PC. The same ribbon cable or not. This was later found due to the
low-level language that the different HDs used for communication was
radically different in some aspects. This may be a similar issue with the
Quantum and Maxtor.
> [...]
inside.
> > > I was able to create the partition in which only 1 partition and make
active.
> > > When I reboot to format c:, it then give me a message "cannot format a
> > > network drive"
> > > and when I change to c:\dir/w, it give the follow:-
> > >
> > > CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
> > > -dont understand what does that means.
> > >
> > > when I restart again, after the bios message (which give Hard Disk 0 =
6480
> > > MB , HD 1/2/3 -none)
> > > the cursor just keeps nlinking and nothing happen. (the green light on
the
> > > floppy disk drive is always green. I change another floppy disk drive,
its
> > > also the same, the cursor keeps bliknking and light stays green)
> > > where can it go wrong? and I hope I ahve answered all your questions

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 1:45:03 PM

many thanks for the clue , manage to get going, fdisk, format the maxtor by
changing the bios setting.I have it as a single pri partition and make active.

Side step a bit, since I have trhe quantum with 98se loaded, and if i made
this maxtor as pri slave, must maxtor be made active? In other orders, is it
necessary to make slave drive active when you use it as storage. What is the
consequence when you made it active and as pri slave, any idea thanks

"Lil' Dave" wrote:

> [...]
> drive may be
> > > getting designated drive C: You are indicating that the BIOS is
> correctly
> > > identifying the hard drive, so I am not sure how you are managing to get
> this error.
> > >
> > > Are you quite sure that the BIOS is correctly detecting the Maxtor?
> Check if your
> > > BIOS Setup has LBA mode enabled for the drive.
> > >
> > > I suggest you wipe the Maxtor drive clean by deleting all partitions
> with FDISK, and
> > > start over with just the one drive set and jumpered as Master/Single,
> make doubly
> > > sure that ALL the cables are correctly connected, and start over in the
> BIOS,
> > > redetecting all the drives installed at that time.
> > >
> > > How to Install A Second Hard Drive as a Slave Drive in Win98:

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 1:10:01 AM

You can only have one Active partition....the one marked Active is the one that will
be booted. You can't mark two Active at the same time.
--

> [...]
> > > actualy I am getting as I go thru the process.
> > > The bios when boots up have been saying Hard DisK 0/1/2/3 and it
> > > correctedly identify the hard disk size depending on the connection.
> > > Say if I connect Quantum as pri master, it will detect as Hrad Dsik 0 =
> > 2110
> > > Mb and if I add on Max as pri slave, it will say HD1 = 6480 Mb. If I
> > > disconnect both and then put Maxtor as pri Master, I have to go to bios
> > and
> > > auto detect and it will read HAard Disk 0 = 640 Mb, so there is no mistake
> > in
> > > this area.
> > > As suggested trying to redo with Maxtor (only) and trying to get a new
> > > floppy drive and see if the f/drive is causing the problem not able to
> > read
> > > as the green light continously on when reading it. Will revert, thanks

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 9:41:05 AM

glee, many thanks and all works well now.

!