Cannot format a network drive

When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network drive" which
I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.

This pc has 2 hdd connected to the same ide cable,
When I got htis pc, 1st hd is Quantum Fireball Tm in which it is connected
to the last connector. There are only 3 pins in the 'normal' jumper 'socket'
instead of the ususal '4' and there are no jumpers on these pins.
The 2nd hd is Maxtor which is connected to the middle connector and with the
jumper horizontal across the pins, I presume Maxtor is set as slave.

To reformat Quantum, I took out the Maxtor, I insert 'system disk' diskette
in floppy and power on the pc. The following text appears'

{{ Venturis GL 6200
System Ram passed .....
System Bios shadowed
Video Bios shadowed
UMB Upper limit segment address F178
Failure Fixed Disk 1
Mouse initialised..
Press F1 to resume F2 to 'setup'}}
When I press F1 to resume and will gave the bios data like this

Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
Co-processor installed
........etc
Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
hard disk 2 = none
hard disk 3 =none
(Fyi dont seems to be able to change HD1 from 6480 to 2110 when I connect
Quantum to the middle connector)

it will read "A" and I was able to reformat and install w98se and it works
fine.

On the 2nd hd, I took it out and I connect up to another pc (os is win2k)
and does a reformat under fat32 system and downloaded 'Evererest' into his hd.
I then connected back into the old pc as slave (same ide cable as quantum
which means its in the same connecting arrangement when I first got it) and
power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).

So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
(single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
message
"Cannot format a network drive"

What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
slave.
My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please
help, thanks
20 answers Last reply
More about cannot format network drive

    In news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com,
    iwrpwrri <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network
    > drive" which I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.
    <snip>

    In the system setup utility (often called BIOS or, more aptly CMOS setup
    utility) do you have it set to boot to a networked drive?

    Galen

    Galen,
    No, its not set to boot to a network drive.
    The boot sequence is either A, Hd or CD ROM or Hd,A, CD ROM depending on
    which one I want it to boot first

    Ben & Bill, will try to figure out. Really exploring the unknown jungle to me.

    Many thanks for your help.

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com,
    > iwrpwrri <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network
    > > drive" which I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.
    > <snip>
    >
    > In the system setup utility (often called BIOS or, more aptly CMOS setup
    > utility) do you have it set to boot to a networked drive?
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Try using Maxblast4 to format the drive.

    http://tinyurl.com/3nz9y

    Ben

    "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
    > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
    > message
    > "Cannot format a network drive"
    >
    > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
    > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
    > slave.
    > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
    > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please
    > help, thanks

    "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:767AD276-C00B-4319-BF38-D2D8F4AF738B@microsoft.com...
    > When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network drive" which
    > I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.

    [snip]

    > "Cannot format a network drive"
    >
    > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
    > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
    > slave.

    If you do a search at the manufacturers web-site on the model number you
    should be able to find a diagram of the jumper settings. If not Google for
    it. Having the hardware configured correctly is job number one.

    You need to first of all check that the jumper settings are correct. The drives
    should have a label on them, showing a diagram of the jumper configurations. On the
    Maxtor there may actually be two jumpers that have to be installed on the jumper
    pins, depending on what model the Maxtor drive is. Please post back with the exact
    model numbers and names of the drives....that should be on the label also.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When I try to reformat the hd, it says " cannot format a network drive" which
    > I dont understand. Here si the background of this old pc.
    >
    > This pc has 2 hdd connected to the same ide cable,
    > When I got htis pc, 1st hd is Quantum Fireball Tm in which it is connected
    > to the last connector. There are only 3 pins in the 'normal' jumper 'socket'
    > instead of the ususal '4' and there are no jumpers on these pins.
    > The 2nd hd is Maxtor which is connected to the middle connector and with the
    > jumper horizontal across the pins, I presume Maxtor is set as slave.
    >
    > To reformat Quantum, I took out the Maxtor, I insert 'system disk' diskette
    > in floppy and power on the pc. The following text appears'
    >
    > {{ Venturis GL 6200
    > System Ram passed .....
    > System Bios shadowed
    > Video Bios shadowed
    > UMB Upper limit segment address F178
    > Failure Fixed Disk 1
    > Mouse initialised..
    > Press F1 to resume F2 to 'setup'}}
    > When I press F1 to resume and will gave the bios data like this
    >
    > Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
    > cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
    > Co-processor installed
    > .......etc
    > Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
    > hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
    > hard disk 2 = none
    > hard disk 3 =none
    > (Fyi dont seems to be able to change HD1 from 6480 to 2110 when I connect
    > Quantum to the middle connector)
    >
    > it will read "A" and I was able to reformat and install w98se and it works
    > fine.
    >
    > On the 2nd hd, I took it out and I connect up to another pc (os is win2k)
    > and does a reformat under fat32 system and downloaded 'Evererest' into his hd.
    > I then connected back into the old pc as slave (same ide cable as quantum
    > which means its in the same connecting arrangement when I first got it) and
    > power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
    > the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
    >
    > So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
    > master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
    > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
    > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
    > message
    > "Cannot format a network drive"
    >
    > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
    > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
    > slave.
    > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
    > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please
    > help, thanks

    Maxtor N256
    model 90648D3

    as for Quantum 3.5 series
    Fireball tm
    2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
    5m70900864

    there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
    the jumper
    slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
    jumper).
    (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
    in total)

    "glee" wrote:

> [...]
    > > power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
    > > the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
    > >
    > > So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
    > > master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
    > > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
    > > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
    > > message
    > > "Cannot format a network drive"
    > >
    > > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
    > > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
    > > slave.
    > > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
    > > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please

    Jumper the first two vertical pins of the Maxtor for master or single, remove or
    park the jumper for slave. see-
    http://pms.colonpee.com/misc/hdd.maxtor.dm4320.txt

    You already have the Quantum diagram.

    Put the master on the end connector of the cable and the slave on the
    middle connector.

    "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ED246F6-3790-4B2E-966B-357D386C8D71@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> > power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
    >> > the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
    >> >
    >> > So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
    >> > master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
    >> > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
    >> > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
    >> > message
    >> > "Cannot format a network drive"
    >> >
    >> > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
    >> > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
    >> > slave.
    >> > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
    >> > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please

    Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:
    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a1.htm
    Also seen here with further documentation:
    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=169

    For the Quantum drive, look here:
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr.htm
    Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the jumper
    pins you describe on your drive.

    The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the jumpers
    set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where you
    have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install one of
    them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the IDE
    AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to detect
    the drive correctly.
    --
> [...]

    > > > power on the pc, but the win98se does not seems to load. So I decided to load
    > > > the w98se into Maxtor also (and redo it).
    > > >
    > > > So, I took out Quantum and connect Maxtor to the end connector and set as
    > > > master, On the power and it does its usual text (as above) and when I press
    > > > F1, (will also give the bios data) it was able to read "A" and after partiton
    > > > (single,primary and make 'active') and try to format it, it give me this
    > > > message
    > > > "Cannot format a network drive"
    > > >
    > > > What does that means? Frankly with Quantum and only 3 pins and no jumper, I
    > > > just dont know when there is no jumper on it, is it set as primary master or
    > > > slave.
    > > > My objective is to get the pc going (does not matter which hd is os) as long
    > > > as I can boot up without waiting for LONG time to get to desktop. Please

    Thats exactly what I did. The Maxtor is connected in the middle without any
    jumper. The Quantum is connected to the end but there is no jumper. What I
    dont understand is that the diagram given on the Quantum hd does not seems to
    tally with the pins it has.

    Physically there are only 3 pins and to set the various configuration, it
    shows 4 rows across and 2 vertical down (meaning 8 pins in all). So it seems
    the problem lies here while I just cannot figure out, how to set as master,
    see what I mean.
    When I have the above fixation (max-slave, no jumper) and Quantum (connected
    to end connector and no pint) and try to boot up the pc, it just would not
    load the W98SE.

    If I take out Maxtor, and boot up, it will say " Failure Fixed Disk 1" and
    after a while it will contiune to boot up and goes to desktop and works fine.

    "glee" wrote:

    > Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:
    > http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a1.htm
    > Also seen here with further documentation:
    > http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=169
    >
    > For the Quantum drive, look here:
    > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr.htm
    > Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the jumper
    > pins you describe on your drive.
    >
    > The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the jumpers
    > set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where you
    > have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install one of
    > them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the IDE
    > AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to detect
    > the drive correctly.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Maxtor N256
    > > model 90648D3
    > >
    > > as for Quantum 3.5 series
    > > Fireball tm
    > > 2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
    > > 5m70900864
    > >
    > > there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
    > > the jumper
    > > slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
    > > jumper).
    > > (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
    > > in total)
    > >
    > > "glee" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You need to first of all check that the jumper settings are correct. The drives
    > > > should have a label on them, showing a diagram of the jumper configurations. On
    > the
    > > > Maxtor there may actually be two jumpers that have to be installed on the jumper
    > > > pins, depending on what model the Maxtor drive is. Please post back with the
    > exact
    > > > model numbers and names of the drives....that should be on the label also.
    > > > --
    > > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > >

    > > > "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    glee,
    apologiise, some how I did not read/miss your post before my earlier
    response. On the Qunatum Tm, I realised now where the jumpers are located.
    Looking at hte diagram for the Tm series, it has jumper in the park and ds as
    well. This according to the diagram is set as master to slave.
    On the maxtor, Ihe jumper over the J44 and J42 positions is in the jumper
    storage position (slave).
    With the above 2 hdd configurations, quantum been connected to the pri(end)
    connector and maxtor connected to the middle connector, I power on the pc and
    goes as far ar giving the bios data:-

    Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
    cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
    Co-processor installed
    ........etc
    Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)
    hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
    hard disk 2 = none
    hard disk 3 =none

    and hang there or at least the cursor keeps on blinking and nothing happen.
    The w98se is definitely in Quantum as on its own, able to go to desktop. Any
    idea what is causing the pc to not load the os, thanks

    > glee,
    > apologiise, some how I did not read/miss your post before my earlier
    > response. On the Qunatum Tm, I realised now where the jumpers are located.
    > Looking at hte diagram for the Tm series, it has jumper in the park and ds as
    > well. This according to the diagram is set as master to slave.

    Yes, that should be a 'Master' setting there.

    > On the maxtor, Ihe jumper over the J44 and J42 positions is in the jumper
    > storage position (slave).

    Right, that's the slave setting.

    > With the above 2 hdd configurations, quantum been connected to the pri(end)
    > connector and maxtor connected to the middle connector,

    OK, so the Quantum is jumpered Master and set to the end connector on the cable,
    Maxtor jumpered Slave and attached to the middle connector....so far, so good.

    > I power on the pc and
    > goes as far ar giving the bios data:-
    >
    > Copy right 1985-1995 Phoneix....
    > cpu (200mhz) pentium Pro
    > Co-processor installed
    > .......etc
    > Hard disk 0 = 2110 MB (change this to 6480 when I connect Maxtor as pri)

    When you connect the Maxtor to the end connector (I assume this is what you mean)
    and want to boot from it, you must change the jumper setting to make it the Master,
    and you must re-detect the hard drives in the BIOS so that the new drive positions
    are enumerated. Also, you have to make the C: partition on that drive the Active
    (boot) partition, usually done by using FDISK to set a partition as Active.
    > hard disk 1 = 6480 Mb
    > hard disk 2 = none
    > hard disk 3 =none
    >
    > and hang there or at least the cursor keeps on blinking and nothing happen.
    > The w98se is definitely in Quantum as on its own, able to go to desktop. Any
    > idea what is causing the pc to not load the os, thanks

    So you are saying that if you physically remove the Maxtor from the cables so that
    the Quantum is alone, it boots from the Quantum? Have you re-detected the drives in
    the BIOS setup after all this? What is your purpose for having two drives both with
    operating systems on them? Exactly what setup do you want to have on the computer,
    with what drives and what operating systems?

    Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not be either
    of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to set the drive to
    ATA/33 maximum.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > "glee" wrote:
    >
    > > Here are the jumper positions for the Maxtor model you have:

    http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/jumper_settings/style_a1.htm
    > > Also seen here with further documentation:

    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=169

    > > For the Quantum drive, look here:
    > > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr.htm
    > > Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the
    jumper
    > > pins you describe on your drive.
    > >
    > > The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the
    jumpers
    > > set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where
    you
    > > have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install
    one of
    > > them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the
    IDE
    > > AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to
    detect
    > > the drive correctly.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >

    > > "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Maxtor N256
    > > > model 90648D3
    > > >
    > > > as for Quantum 3.5 series
    > > > Fireball tm
    > > > 2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
    > > > 5m70900864
    > > >
    > > > there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
    > > > the jumper
    > > > slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
    > > > jumper).
    > > > (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins
    > > > in total)

    On
    > > the
    > > exact

    and

    I can't really make out if you have them jumpered correctly or not. You might
    try setting them both as "single" and moving the maxtor to the other channel.
    ("single", assuming of course, there is no other slave device, such as CD-ROM)
    Don't know about the Quantum, but "single" should be the same jumper
    position as "master" for the Maxtor.

    "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDC155DC-4B1F-45AE-87CC-CC48D08285C1@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to detect
    >> the drive correctly.
    >> --
    >> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "iwrpwrri" <iwrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Maxtor N256
    >> > model 90648D3
    >> >
    >> > as for Quantum 3.5 series
    >> > Fireball tm
    >> > 2110MB AT TM21A472 Rev01-A A6B24
    >> > 5m70900864
    >> >
    >> > there are only 3 pins on Quantum and on its cover, it shows the setting of
    >> > the jumper
    >> > slave - no jumper. master (with jumper). cs (without jumper). park (with
    >> > jumper).
    >> > (normally we expect 2 rows on 5 pins but in this case there are only 3 opins

    my objective is since I have 2 hdd, I will try to use them Quantum as master
    (for the 98se) and Maxtor as slave for storage. I was able to install the
    98se into Quantum and when only 1 hdd physically (in the pc ansd bios
    detected as Disk 0, 2110 MB), I was able to get to desktop. The problem
    started when I attached Maxtor (Disk 1, 6480 MB) as pri slave and I cannot
    get to desktop.

    If I cannot use the 2 hdd, I would be happy with only 1 hdd in the pc,
    naturally with Maxtor and discard the Quantum and thats why I try to load 98
    into Maxtor.

    Ref to my previous post:-
    your quote "Yes, that should be a 'Master' setting there"
    when I say " This according to the diagram is set as master to slave". This
    is the exact statement from quantum link below
    http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_tm.htm
    So I presume that setting with jumper at PK and DS, Quantum means it is set
    as "Master"

    Since I cannot get to desktop when 2 hdd are in the pc, I decided I will
    have 1 hdd, Maxtor (and discard Quantum)

    and try to install the 98se. So connect to the end of the pri connector, set
    as master and set the bios as auto (in which it will show 6480 Hard Disk 0 )
    and boot sequence as A,hdd,CD rom. and restart the pc with the floppy inside.
    I was able to create the partition in which only 1 partition and make active.
    When I reboot to format c:, it then give me a message "cannot format a
    network drive"
    and when I change to c:\dir/w, it give the follow:-

    CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
    -dont understand what does that means.

    when I restart again, after the bios message (which give Hard Disk 0 = 6480
    MB , HD 1/2/3 -none)
    the cursor just keeps nlinking and nothing happen. (the green light on the
    floppy disk drive is always green. I change another floppy disk drive, its
    also the same, the cursor keeps bliknking and light stays green)
    where can it go wrong? and I hope I ahve answered all your questions

    "glee" wrote:

> [...]
    > > >
    > http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=169
    > > >
    > > > For the Quantum drive, look here:
    > > > http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/HD/QUANTUM/guides/fb_a_cr.htm
    > > > Ignore the 4th jumper pin set marked Rsvd in the picture, and you have the
    > jumper
    > > > pins you describe on your drive.
    > > >
    > > > The descriptions you are giving in your post do not sound like you have the
    > jumpers
    > > > set correctly but you keep switching out the drives, so it's hard to say where
    > you
    > > > have them set, when. If you only want one drive installed, then just install
    > one of
    > > > them, set its jumper to Master, then enter the BIOS Setup program and run the
    > IDE
    > > > AutoDetection or set each IDE position to Auto and press Enter, in order to

    Based on some of the information you are supplying in your last reply, I am not sure
    how much experience you have inside the computer case. If the floppy light is on
    all the time, that indicates that the floppy ribbon cable is connected backwards.
    The red stripe on the data cable lines up with pin #1 on the drive's connector. If
    you have this on wrong, the floppy light will shine continually.

    I am concerned that you may not have the cabling correct on the hard drives,
    although it *sounds* like you are jumpering correctly. Generally the connector for
    the data cable on the hard drive is keyed so it goes on only one way, but with older
    drives maybe not, so make sure you have the red stripe at pin #1 on the hard drives
    also.

    Your error: CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
    is very strange, as the CDR101 error is for CD drives, not hard drives. Again, it
    looks like you may have the drives misconfigured in the BIOS setup. If that is the
    case and you are booting with the standard Windows boot floppy, the RAM drive may be
    getting designated drive C: You are indicating that the BIOS is correctly
    identifying the hard drive, so I am not sure how you are managing to get this error.

    Are you quite sure that the BIOS is correctly detecting the Maxtor? Check if your
    BIOS Setup has LBA mode enabled for the drive.

    I suggest you wipe the Maxtor drive clean by deleting all partitions with FDISK, and
    start over with just the one drive set and jumpered as Master/Single, make doubly
    sure that ALL the cables are correctly connected, and start over in the BIOS,
    redetecting all the drives installed at that time.

    How to Install A Second Hard Drive as a Slave Drive in Win98:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/73

    How to Delete a Partition:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/36

    How to Create a Partition:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=37

    How to Format a Partition:
    http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=38
    --

    "wrpwrri" <wrpwrri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > The w98se is definitely in Quantum as on its own, able to go to desktop. Any
    > > > idea what is causing the pc to not load the os, thanks
    > >
    > > So you are saying that if you physically remove the Maxtor from the cables so
    that
    > > the Quantum is alone, it boots from the Quantum? Have you re-detected the
    drives in
    > > the BIOS setup after all this? What is your purpose for having two drives both
    with
    > > operating systems on them? Exactly what setup do you want to have on the
    computer,
    > > with what drives and what operating systems?
    > >
    > > Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not be
    either
    > > of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to set the drive

    on the floppy drive, there is no mistake in the cabling. What I mean to say
    when it stays green all the time is when its start reading. Its not the case
    when you power on the pc and its starys green all the time, sori fornot
    making that clear in my earlier post. The hdd is also cabled correctly with
    pin1 in the right p;ace.
    on the error "Your error: CDR101: Not ready reading drive c", as you can see
    when I restart, it did not appear again but I post i just to show whats is
    actualy I am getting as I go thru the process.
    The bios when boots up have been saying Hard DisK 0/1/2/3 and it
    correctedly identify the hard disk size depending on the connection.
    Say if I connect Quantum as pri master, it will detect as Hrad Dsik 0 = 2110
    Mb and if I add on Max as pri slave, it will say HD1 = 6480 Mb. If I
    disconnect both and then put Maxtor as pri Master, I have to go to bios and
    auto detect and it will read HAard Disk 0 = 640 Mb, so there is no mistake in
    this area.
    As suggested trying to redo with Maxtor (only) and trying to get a new
    floppy drive and see if the f/drive is causing the problem not able to read
    as the green light continously on when reading it. Will revert, thanks

    "glee" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > are enumerated. Also, you have to make the C: partition on that drive the
    > Active
    > > > (boot) partition, usually done by using FDISK to set a partition as Active.

    > > > So you are saying that if you physically remove the Maxtor from the cables so
    > that
    > > > the Quantum is alone, it boots from the Quantum? Have you re-detected the
    > drives in
    > > > the BIOS setup after all this? What is your purpose for having two drives both
    > with
    > > > operating systems on them? Exactly what setup do you want to have on the
    > computer,
    > > > with what drives and what operating systems?
    > > >
    > > > Is the Maxtor an ATA/66 or ATA/100 drive? The Quantum being older may not be
    > either
    > > > of those, and you may need to use the Maxtor PowerMax utilities to set the drive

    OK, I understand a little better now. :-)
    Exactly what boot floppy disk are you using? Try this procedure:
    Create a bootdisk by inserting the Windows CD in any computer running Windows (such
    as a friend's or one at the library), cancel setup if it starts, then browse the CD
    to the \tools\mtsutil\fat32ebd folder, and double-click the file namedfat32ebd.exe,
    and follow the prompts. Use the boot diskette it creates to boot your computer, and
    format the hard drive using the command:
    format c:
    Don't use the /s switch if you are installing from the CD, only use /s if you are
    planning to install by copying the installation files from the CD to the hard drive.
    --

> [...]
    > > > as master and set the bios as auto (in which it will show 6480 Hard Disk 0 )
    > > > and boot sequence as A,hdd,CD rom. and restart the pc with the floppy inside.
    > > > I was able to create the partition in which only 1 partition and make active.
    > > > When I reboot to format c:, it then give me a message "cannot format a
    > > > network drive"
    > > > and when I change to c:\dir/w, it give the follow:-
    > > >
    > > > CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
    > > > -dont understand what does that means.
    > > >
    > > > when I restart again, after the bios message (which give Hard Disk 0 = 6480
    > > > MB , HD 1/2/3 -none)
    > > > the cursor just keeps nlinking and nothing happen. (the green light on the
    > > > floppy disk drive is always green. I change another floppy disk drive, its
    > > > also the same, the cursor keeps bliknking and light stays green)
    > > > where can it go wrong? and I hope I ahve answered all your questions

    The error message means that the partition you created on the Maxtor was not
    found after the reboot when you attempted to format. As a consequence, the
    PC is referring to your cdrom, whether it exists or not, as the C:
    drive/partition.

    Under the conditions you've provided, I would suggest that the Maxtor is not
    provided adequate time during reboot for proper detection. You can provide
    more time by forcing full RAM check, multiple times if available, in the
    bios settings. Since you don't mind getting under the hood, change the ide
    ribbon cable to a new 80 wire version.

    Under the condition you've provided, the Maxtor alone in the PC as master,
    carefully view the bios summary and see if the Maxtor was detected on
    reboot. If this was successful, then use fdisk to interrogate the Maxtor
    for partition information. You cannot format, unless the PC recognizes the
    presence of a partition.

    How is your cdrom/cdr/cdrw connected to the PC? Its not noted in the bios
    summary.

    Some older HDs in older PCs simply will not tolerate the existence of the
    other. In such cases, they simply don't respond, or respond as anticipated.
    If my memory serves me correctly, some Maxtors and WDs had this problem when
    in same PC. The same ribbon cable or not. This was later found due to the
    low-level language that the different HDs used for communication was
    radically different in some aspects. This may be a similar issue with the
    Quantum and Maxtor.
> [...]
    inside.
    > > > I was able to create the partition in which only 1 partition and make
    active.
    > > > When I reboot to format c:, it then give me a message "cannot format a
    > > > network drive"
    > > > and when I change to c:\dir/w, it give the follow:-
    > > >
    > > > CDR101: Not ready reading drive c
    > > > -dont understand what does that means.
    > > >
    > > > when I restart again, after the bios message (which give Hard Disk 0 =
    6480
    > > > MB , HD 1/2/3 -none)
    > > > the cursor just keeps nlinking and nothing happen. (the green light on
    the
    > > > floppy disk drive is always green. I change another floppy disk drive,
    its
    > > > also the same, the cursor keeps bliknking and light stays green)
    > > > where can it go wrong? and I hope I ahve answered all your questions

    many thanks for the clue , manage to get going, fdisk, format the maxtor by
    changing the bios setting.I have it as a single pri partition and make active.

    Side step a bit, since I have trhe quantum with 98se loaded, and if i made
    this maxtor as pri slave, must maxtor be made active? In other orders, is it
    necessary to make slave drive active when you use it as storage. What is the
    consequence when you made it active and as pri slave, any idea thanks

    "Lil' Dave" wrote:

> [...]
    > drive may be
    > > > getting designated drive C: You are indicating that the BIOS is
    > correctly
    > > > identifying the hard drive, so I am not sure how you are managing to get
    > this error.
    > > >
    > > > Are you quite sure that the BIOS is correctly detecting the Maxtor?
    > Check if your
    > > > BIOS Setup has LBA mode enabled for the drive.
    > > >
    > > > I suggest you wipe the Maxtor drive clean by deleting all partitions
    > with FDISK, and
    > > > start over with just the one drive set and jumpered as Master/Single,
    > make doubly
    > > > sure that ALL the cables are correctly connected, and start over in the
    > BIOS,
    > > > redetecting all the drives installed at that time.
    > > >
    > > > How to Install A Second Hard Drive as a Slave Drive in Win98:

    You can only have one Active partition....the one marked Active is the one that will
    be booted. You can't mark two Active at the same time.
    --

> [...]
    > > > actualy I am getting as I go thru the process.
    > > > The bios when boots up have been saying Hard DisK 0/1/2/3 and it
    > > > correctedly identify the hard disk size depending on the connection.
    > > > Say if I connect Quantum as pri master, it will detect as Hrad Dsik 0 =
    > > 2110
    > > > Mb and if I add on Max as pri slave, it will say HD1 = 6480 Mb. If I
    > > > disconnect both and then put Maxtor as pri Master, I have to go to bios
    > > and
    > > > auto detect and it will read HAard Disk 0 = 640 Mb, so there is no mistake
    > > in
    > > > this area.
    > > > As suggested trying to redo with Maxtor (only) and trying to get a new
    > > > floppy drive and see if the f/drive is causing the problem not able to
    > > read
    > > > as the green light continously on when reading it. Will revert, thanks

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    glee, many thanks and all works well now.

Network Drive Format Windows