Sign in with
Your question

Whats better for playback: DVD-R or DVD+R?

Last response: in Storage
April 23, 2006 4:13:21 AM

Does it matter if I burn a video DVD to either DVD-R or DVD+R for playing on a home DVD player? Whats the difference between each format?

Thanks.

More about : whats playback dvd dvd

April 23, 2006 4:40:26 AM

Simple dvd-r came out first and is used on almost all dvd players and dvd+r was second and not many dvd players can read dvd+(unless it says so on the box) so go with dvd-r .
April 23, 2006 4:45:23 AM

Really? hmmm......dvdpiddy, have you read anything about dvd+r having better error control than dvd-r? I thought I read that at one time, which is why I usually burn using +r's instead. Any factual backing to this?
Related resources
April 23, 2006 6:16:00 PM

I think I heard something like that. So I only use dvd+r. It works in my player, which is about two years old.
April 23, 2006 7:17:35 PM

Quote:
Really? hmmm......dvdpiddy, have you read anything about dvd+r having better error control than dvd-r? I thought I read that at one time, which is why I usually burn using +r's instead. Any factual backing to this?
Just saying what i heard.I like dvd-r better cause it works in my bros dvd player but sometimes i use both just for the heck of it. :D 
April 23, 2006 7:55:39 PM

well that's odd.....
April 23, 2006 8:22:41 PM

Quote:

DVD+R versus DVD-R: The Functional Differences
Enhanced Recording Features
DVD Recorders: The Difference Between DVD-R and DVD+R?

Part 2, Continued: The Functional Differences

According to the claims of the DVD Alliance, using a DVD+R/+RW recorder will let you do the following:

1. Instantly eject without having to wait for finalized formatting.

2. Ability to record one DVD disc partially on PC and partially on television.

3. Background formatting: while the disc is being formatted, you can simultaneously record on already-formatted portions of the same disc.

4. Enhanced ability to edit filenames, movie and song titles, and playlists.

5. 100% compatibility with all other DVD players, while still enjoying these extra recording features.

Seems like DVD+R's are the way to go, found this article here:
http://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/multimedia/a/DVD_ex...

Heres another interesting article:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=3&aid=12

Hope this helps.
!