Asus Intros Windows 8-Ready 27-inch AIO Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexand3r1

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Frameless? Really? Really? Is frameless anything with less than a 2' border?[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that all this frameless jargon just means that there is edge-to-edge glass on the front.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I've always loved Asus, but they seem to be losing quality. Hopefully this thing will be better quality than the Nexus 7.

I'm curious if this will lay flat? I can't imagine using the touch for extended periods of time with the monitor standing up like that. The picture shows no mouse/keyboard which is very unrealistic. Guess we will see how this technology pans out, I suspect we will see a flood of touch-screen configurations come out with the launch of Windows 8.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Laptop grade hardware into a non-movable PC ... no thanks , you get more profit from actually buying a laptop and a separate screen for it at home and you have the mobility also. AIO PCs will get profitable when they will be able to fit inside them full desktop hardware not laptops with 24-27" screens.

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I've always loved Asus, but they seem to be losing quality. Hopefully this thing will be better quality than the Nexus 7. I'm curious if this will lay flat? I can't imagine using the touch for extended periods of time with the monitor standing up like that. The picture shows no mouse/keyboard which is very unrealistic. Guess we will see how this technology pans out, I suspect we will see a flood of touch-screen configurations come out with the launch of Windows 8.[/citation]

Agreed bout asus but... The stuff they put out is still better.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Agreed bout asus but... The stuff they put out is still better.[/citation]

Yeah, I'm still rocking an Asus motherboard in my gaming rig :)

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I've always loved Asus, but they seem to be losing quality. Hopefully this thing will be better quality than the Nexus 7. I'm curious if this will lay flat? I can't imagine using the touch for extended periods of time with the monitor standing up like that...[/citation]

Exactly! I can't believe industries lack so much common sense as to not design a special base that will allow the monitor to extend forward at an angle comfortable enough for one to use the touch screen if desired, it will make it so that is ergonomic and will allow for longer hours of use.

I would like to apply for a job in the common sense department.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Exactly! I can't believe industries lack so much common sense as to not design a special base that will allow the monitor to extend forward at an angle comfortable enough for one to use the touch screen if desired, it will make it so that is ergonomic and will allow for longer hours of use.I would like to apply for a job in the common sense department.[/citation]

Agreed, vertical desktop touch is just a non starter except for occasional use. Desktops need gesture control to be Win 8 compatible, or like you say, drop it to more horizontal so your forearms can rest on it.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
As Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer said, 1080p on a 27" is not the definition of crisp, much the contrary, that kind of resolution on a 27" screen is for budget screens, anybody who has used one (I have) will tell you that. 24" should be the max screen size for a quality 1080p desktop experience. The fact that this screen in particular is not even IPS, is also telling they don't have many hopes for it. Better than TN, though. A 27" TN panel with a 1080p resolution is horrible because the viewing angles change a lot depending on how you sit on the chair and TN can't keep up with such a large screen.

Having said that, the fact this is a touch screen is also just a gimmick. One thing is having a smartphone that you can hold with one hand at a convenient angle, thereby giving you a comfortable experience, another is having a 27" behemoth where you have to raise your arm each time you want to interact with it. People will just get tired of it and go back to the keyboard and mouse. And, also contrary to a smartphone whose screen you can quickly wipe clean with a your T-shirt, shirt, or a cloth, you can't easily do that to a 27" screen.

I just wish this gimmicky stuff would stop being fashionable even before the fact. It just doesn't make sense.

Oct 11, 2012
Beijing at 1:00 on October 24, Apple held a press conference in San Jose, California theater, launched its first 7-inch screen tablet PC iPad mini.Because so many computers in the market, consumers need to spend more time to do it is understood that if they want to buy the .

Status
Not open for further replies.