Keyboard does not work in MSDOS after Post

I need some help. I’ve got my Dads old Computer. Compaq Presario 5050 with
Windows 98 4.10.1998.

I was going to use the restore disc and get all the junk out of it, but I
ran into a problem. When the restore disc booted up the keyboard would not
work. The keyboard works find in Windows. I tried the startup disc and no
keyboard. Tried booting in MSDOS, no keyboard.

Went to the Compaq (HP) site for updates. There are about ten. Some loaded,
some did not. The one that I thought would help (Update the ROM SP12234.exe)
gives me the message that the program has performed an illegal operation. I
tried running it in start, run and the MSDOS prompt and got the same
performed an illegal operation. I cannot run it in MSDOS; I have no keyboard
in it.

I tried four other keyboards, no Help.

I did change the battery on the board. I got the same lockup. No keyboard.
I can get into setup if I take the battery out and let it sit for a little,
but I cannot get into it the next time I try. Taking the battery out works
half the time, but will not work on the restore disc.

I cannot locate a ROM chip to pull out on the board.

Is there anyone out there that knows what’s up? I would really like to get
this machine going. THANKS>

Is it a USB keyboard?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"going threw it ----------------" <goingthrewit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:CEEF4101-0295-4FE5-8ADB-9A46CC11B39F@microsoft.com...
> I need some help. I’ve got my Dads old Computer. Compaq Presario 5050 with
> Windows 98 4.10.1998.
>
> I was going to use the restore disc and get all the junk out of it, but I
> ran into a problem. When the restore disc booted up the keyboard would not
> work. The keyboard works find in Windows. I tried the startup disc and no
> keyboard. Tried booting in MSDOS, no keyboard.
>
> Went to the Compaq (HP) site for updates. There are about ten. Some loaded,
> some did not. The one that I thought would help (Update the ROM SP12234.exe)
> gives me the message that the program has performed an illegal operation. I
> tried running it in start, run and the MSDOS prompt and got the same
> performed an illegal operation. I cannot run it in MSDOS; I have no keyboard
> in it.
>

> I tried four other keyboards, no Help.
>
> I did change the battery on the board. I got the same lockup. No keyboard.
> I can get into setup if I take the battery out and let it sit for a little,
> but I cannot get into it the next time I try. Taking the battery out works
> half the time, but will not work on the restore disc.
>
> I cannot locate a ROM chip to pull out on the board.
>
> Is there anyone out there that knows what’s up? I would really like to get
> this machine going. THANKS>

No - Just a regular plug in Keyboard. I know about the USB support in the
BIOS. I just put a networkcard in. I am doing a Norton scan and will do a
windows update. Who does it may help.

"glee" wrote:

> Is it a USB keyboard?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "going threw it ----------------" <goingthrewit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:CEEF4101-0295-4FE5-8ADB-9A46CC11B39F@microsoft.com...
> > I need some help. I’ve got my Dads old Computer. Compaq Presario 5050 with
> > Windows 98 4.10.1998.
> >
> > I was going to use the restore disc and get all the junk out of it, but I
> > ran into a problem. When the restore disc booted up the keyboard would not
> > work. The keyboard works find in Windows. I tried the startup disc and no
> > keyboard. Tried booting in MSDOS, no keyboard.
> >
> > Went to the Compaq (HP) site for updates. There are about ten. Some loaded,
> > some did not. The one that I thought would help (Update the ROM SP12234.exe)
> > gives me the message that the program has performed an illegal operation. I
> > tried running it in start, run and the MSDOS prompt and got the same
> > performed an illegal operation. I cannot run it in MSDOS; I have no keyboard
> > in it.
> >

> > I tried four other keyboards, no Help.
> >
> > I did change the battery on the board. I got the same lockup. No keyboard.
> > I can get into setup if I take the battery out and let it sit for a little,
> > but I cannot get into it the next time I try. Taking the battery out works
> > half the time, but will not work on the restore disc.
> >
> > I cannot locate a ROM chip to pull out on the board.
> >
> > Is there anyone out there that knows what’s up? I would really like to get
> > this machine going. THANKS>

Dunno what's up, then, if it works in Windows. I assume you have a PS/2 or AT mouse
(round connector) rather than a serial mouse (rectangular connector). You might try
a serial mouse just during the time that you are trying to do the restore.
--

message news:1B1C6249-F83D-4E9B-AEB1-03DAF1809A47@microsoft.com...
> No - Just a regular plug in Keyboard. I know about the USB support in the
> BIOS. I just put a networkcard in. I am doing a Norton scan and will do a
> windows update. Who does it may help.
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Is it a USB keyboard?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "going threw it ----------------" <goingthrewit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
> > message news:CEEF4101-0295-4FE5-8ADB-9A46CC11B39F@microsoft.com...
> > > I need some help. I’ve got my Dads old Computer. Compaq Presario 5050 with
> > > Windows 98 4.10.1998.
> > >
> > > I was going to use the restore disc and get all the junk out of it, but I
> > > ran into a problem. When the restore disc booted up the keyboard would not
> > > work. The keyboard works find in Windows. I tried the startup disc and no
> > > keyboard. Tried booting in MSDOS, no keyboard.
> > >
> > > Went to the Compaq (HP) site for updates. There are about ten. Some loaded,
> > > some did not. The one that I thought would help (Update the ROM SP12234.exe)
> > > gives me the message that the program has performed an illegal operation. I
> > > tried running it in start, run and the MSDOS prompt and got the same
> > > performed an illegal operation. I cannot run it in MSDOS; I have no keyboard
> > > in it.
> > >

> > > I tried four other keyboards, no Help.
> > >
> > > I did change the battery on the board. I got the same lockup. No keyboard.
> > > I can get into setup if I take the battery out and let it sit for a little,
> > > but I cannot get into it the next time I try. Taking the battery out works
> > > half the time, but will not work on the restore disc.
> > >
> > > I cannot locate a ROM chip to pull out on the board.
> > >
> > > Is there anyone out there that knows what’s up? I would really like to get
> > > this machine going. THANKS>

Latest posts