virtual machine

I have Win. 98SE

I used to play Bridge at Pogo and I was having trouble getting the games to
load. I was told to get Sun Java and then I started having trouble with that
also. In both cases game would start to load then disappear. This happens
say 2 out of 3 times. Now Pogo tells me to go to wildtangent and download
the latest version of Microsoft VM.
y security settings will not allow. What do I have to change? Why do I
have to go to wildtangent?> Can't I somehow upgrade directly from Microsoft
and if so, how?
--
Joni

I have Version 5.00 3810

lease note I have already uninstalled the Sun Java. Actually I uninstalled
3 items listed in my Add/Remove. I was told by Pogo to remove SE v1.4.2_01
(I actually had _05 and an update and _06 also. I had updated via the Java
icon that was in the control panel. I was very leery about downloading
anything from Wild Tangent so I'm glad I was unable to do so.

How do I update my video card driver? I had a Dell Dimension L667r and Win.
98SE.

Thanks for your help

"Joni" wrote:

> I have Win. 98SE
>
> I used to play Bridge at Pogo and I was having trouble getting the games to
> load. I was told to get Sun Java and then I started having trouble with that
> also. In both cases game would start to load then disappear. This happens
> say 2 out of 3 times. Now Pogo tells me to go to wildtangent and download
> the latest version of Microsoft VM.
> y security settings will not allow. What do I have to change? Why do I
> have to go to wildtangent?> Can't I somehow upgrade directly from Microsoft
> and if so, how?
> --
> Joni

Click Start> Programs> MS-DOS Prompt
Type: jview and press Enter
On the first line of the output, there will be a version number....post back with
the last 4 digits in the version number.

With Win98SE, if you have gotten all the critical updates at Windows Update, you
already have the latest Microsoft Java VM, as it is offered as a critical update for
that operating system. Do not get it (or anything else) from Wild Tangent.

What version of Sun Java do you have? Click Start> Settings> Control Panel> Java
Plug-In> About tab, to see the version number.

Often problems with Pogo games can be fixed by updating the video card driver.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Joni wrote:
> I have Win. 98SE
>
> I used to play Bridge at Pogo and I was having trouble getting the
> games to load. I was told to get Sun Java and then I started having
> trouble with that also. In both cases game would start to load then
> disappear. This happens say 2 out of 3 times. Now Pogo tells me to
> go to wildtangent and download the latest version of Microsoft VM.
> y security settings will not allow. What do I have to change? Why
> do I have to go to wildtangent?> Can't I somehow upgrade directly
> from Microsoft and if so, how?

This site, http://www.vanweteringen.com/jheroen/vm/index.php , has been
radically reorganized, and perhaps not for the better, from the last time I
visited it about two years ago, but MS VM is downloadable from the download
link on the right if your settings allow it or if you want to modify them. I
can vouch for the site in its former incarnation but if you attempt to
download from here this site will warn you as follows:

"WARNING: This download is located on a FREE webserver, so when you click to
download the file, the page will change to that downloadsite! Click the back
button in your webbrowser to go back to this site!"

So before you decide to do it, perhaps one of the Pros here could chime in
with an opinion on the efficacy of this. In any case this was where I got
mine after it had to be removed from microsoft.com.

3810 is the latest build of the MS Java VM, so that is already up to date.
If you want to try Sun Java again before you start messing with the video drivers,
the Sun versions you had before were all very outdated.....the 5.0 version is the
current Sun Java, and may be all you need to fix the problem:
http://www.java.com/en/download/download_the_latest.jsp

How to Upgrade Drivers for a Video Card:
http://www.valusoftsupport.com/KBArticle.asp?kbid=451
http://www.headsprout.com/help/displayKB.cfm?articleID=53
http://www.ehow.com/how_5572_upgrade-drivers-video.html