msconfig won't keep an entry unchecked

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 28, 2005 12:39:27 AM

I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when she
signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.

I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing is
in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the machine
in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
running GMT.exe is has been check again!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
Mary
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:58:40 AM

It is a Gator spyware variant.

Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
it finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install SpywareBlaster:
Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
all protection'.
Update at least weekly.

I suggest after that you download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
locations:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.e...
Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Megan Bartley" <mmewsNOSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when she
> signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
> but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.
>
> I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
> tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
> window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing is
> in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the machine
> in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
> running GMT.exe is has been check again!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Mary

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:04:32 AM

Go to: http://www.doxdesk.com/ after examining the page...go to the
parasites page. It is all you need. GL.

HTH,
DTV
I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when she
signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.

I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing is
in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the machine
in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
running GMT.exe is has been check again!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
Mary
March 28, 2005 4:31:19 PM

Anti-spyware tools

Adware/spyware/hijackers and other types of malicious programs are a
different animal. These can only be fought with certain anti-spyware
programs and (most importantly) by educating users. Here are some links that
will get you up to speed on the scope of the problem as well as some
recommended solutions.

The Parasite Fight:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

AumHa Forums :: View Forum - Parasites - Adware, Spyware & Other Scumware:

Security at Home: Spyware:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/defaul...

Merijn.org:
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

Lavasoft: Adaware SE
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/english/

The home of Spybot-S&D!:

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User Dec 2004

In Memorium: Alex Nichol
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Megan Bartley" <mmewsNOSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when
she
> signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
> but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.
>
> I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
> tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
> window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing
is
> in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the
machine
> in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
> running GMT.exe is has been check again!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Mary

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 4:31:20 PM

Yes I agree with all of the above, but also check these two items:
1. Hit "start" "programs" and find the "startup" tab and hit it to see if
this "net zero" item along with many other items are what you really want
starting up when you load windows. I do not have anything in my "startup" and
I "check" only what I want to startup in "msconfig". Delete what you do not
want at this startup area, or it will keep "rechecking" itself in "msconfig"
2. Also Go to the "netzero" program and view the "options" or whatever they
use for set up and make sure you uncheck the "load at startup" button and
anything else you may not want. These software companies love have all of
these memory "hogs" checked when you load the software and make you "uncheck"
what you do not want during the installation process rather than the other
way around. Hope this helps.

!