msconfig won't keep an entry unchecked

I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when she
signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.

I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing is
in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the machine
in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
running GMT.exe is has been check again!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
Mary
4 answers Last reply
More about msconfig entry unchecked

    It is a Gator spyware variant.

    Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

    Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
    http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

    Install Ad-Aware SE free Personal Edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates'
    link in the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what
    it finds.
    Ad-Aware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Install SpywareBlaster:
    Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
    all protection'.
    Update at least weekly.

    I suggest after that you download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these
    locations:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
    Unzip to a folder other than your Desktop or the Temp folder, doubleclick
    HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
    similar).
    Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

    Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
    http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

    In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
    it.

    The folks there will tell you what to remove.

    See the "housekeeping" you should complete before you post your log:
    http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

    A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Megan Bartley" <mmewsNOSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when she
    > signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
    > but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.
    >
    > I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
    > tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
    > window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing is
    > in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the machine
    > in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
    > running GMT.exe is has been check again!
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Mary

    Go to: http://www.doxdesk.com/ after examining the page...go to the
    parasites page. It is all you need. GL.

    HTH,
    DTV
    I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when she
    signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
    but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.

    I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
    tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
    window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing is
    in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the machine
    in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
    running GMT.exe is has been check again!

    Any suggestions?

    Many thanks in advance,
    Mary

    Anti-spyware tools

    Adware/spyware/hijackers and other types of malicious programs are a
    different animal. These can only be fought with certain anti-spyware
    programs and (most importantly) by educating users. Here are some links that
    will get you up to speed on the scope of the problem as well as some
    recommended solutions.

    The Parasite Fight:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    AumHa Forums :: View Forum - Parasites - Adware, Spyware & Other Scumware:

    Security at Home: Spyware:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx

    Merijn.org:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/

    Lavasoft: Adaware SE
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/english/

    The home of Spybot-S&D!:

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Shell/User Dec 2004

    In Memorium: Alex Nichol
    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Megan Bartley" <mmewsNOSpam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure if this is NetZero's spyware that my sister installed when
    she
    > signed up for NetZero, or if some other malware program got on her system,
    > but I cannot get uncheck GStartup in the Startup group of msconfig.
    >
    > I can start the machine in SafeMode, open msconfig, and open the Startup
    > tab, uncheck GStartup, apply and close msconfig, go to the Close Program
    > window and see that nothing except Explorer is running, make sure nothing
    is
    > in the run keys in the CurrentVersion registry keys, and restart the
    machine
    > in Safe Mode, and when I run msconfig, and open the Startup tab, GStartup,
    > running GMT.exe is has been check again!
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    > Mary

    Yes I agree with all of the above, but also check these two items:
    1. Hit "start" "programs" and find the "startup" tab and hit it to see if
    this "net zero" item along with many other items are what you really want
    starting up when you load windows. I do not have anything in my "startup" and
    I "check" only what I want to startup in "msconfig". Delete what you do not
    want at this startup area, or it will keep "rechecking" itself in "msconfig"
    2. Also Go to the "netzero" program and view the "options" or whatever they
    use for set up and make sure you uncheck the "load at startup" button and
    anything else you may not want. These software companies love have all of
    these memory "hogs" checked when you load the software and make you "uncheck"
    what you do not want during the installation process rather than the other
    way around. Hope this helps.

Microsoft Msconfig Windows