adieu (sort of)

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
March 28, 2005 1:43:13 PM

My new computer is here... still in the box.

I have questions:

1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What will I
gain if I do?
2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is really XP
Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro over
it. Or will I?
3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with the
goodies that come with Media Center?

I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
about the XP environment.

TIA
sf

More about : adieu sort

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 3:19:31 PM

sf, as much as we've loved having you around, you have now graduated
from this class. You're in the wrong classroom.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com> wrote in message
> My new computer is here... still in the box.
>
> I have questions:
>
> 1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What will I
> gain if I do?
> 2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is really
XP
> Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro over
> it. Or will I?
> 3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with the
> goodies that come with Media Center?
>
> I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
> about the XP environment.
>
> TIA
> sf

March 28, 2005 10:32:16 PM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> sf, as much as we've loved having you around, you have now graduated
> from this class. You're in the wrong classroom.

Thanks for the pointers, Gary. I've already inquired in xp.general and
found them <cough> rather useless so far. For some reason I'm not
connecting with the newusers group via Google (not found). :\ I know
that one is the better ng for me because I posted to it a few times
when my mother first got her XP and found them more helpful.

I wanted to have Office Pro (and XP Pro if I needed it) installed
before using my new computer, but I'm thinking now that I'll take it
out of the box and install a real news reader at the very least... then
I can navigate over to the newusers group for sure.

I was reading up on partitioning this morning and the article talked
about reformatting. That's why I thought one partition could be XP Pro
with MS Office Pro and the other would have Media Center with whatever
media goodies we install.

See you on the other side, Gary, PCR, MM, PABear, Glee, Colorado et at
- I'm gonna miss you guys, you're truly a bunch of real characters!
You're fun to interact with (not afraid to be silly) and informative to
read. Additionally, you've never been stuffy or snooty about how much
you know and how much I don't know. You're always here to help in a
NICE way and (when needed) prompt me how to ask questions that will get
me better answers. I guess you know that's not a pervasive attitude in
this type of newsgroup!

sf
<waving goodbye>
Related resources
March 28, 2005 10:39:46 PM

Exactly, Dan! I'm in transition - not getting what I consider decent
answers in xp general and haven't connected with newusers yet.

sf
`````````````````

Dapper Dan wrote:
> Not really in the wrong classroom yet Gary. I think a whole bunch of
> us will be in the same boat in the not too distant future and would
> probably have the same questions. I think most of the gurus here run
> both operating systems and more importantly, he knows who to trust in
> this NG whereas it may take him a while to figure out who's who in
the
> XP forum.

> > sf, as much as we've loved having you around, you have now
graduated
> > from this class. You're in the wrong classroom.

March 28, 2005 10:57:23 PM

Galen wrote:
> In news:1112031793.586939.130550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
> sf <sfpipeline@gmail.com> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the interspersed inside of your sent message:
>
> > My new computer is here... still in the box.
> >
> > I have questions:
> >
> > 1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What will
> > gain if I do?
>
> I would do so... Why? Because then if you have to re-install the OS
any
> files saved on the second partition will not be altered or lost when
you
> format the C: drive.

Good Point!

> > 2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is
really
> > XP Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro
> > over it. Or will I?
>
> No, you should be fine with the Media Center. Make sure you isntall
SP2
> right away. You dont' NEED to install XP Pro unless you want to.

I guess the only advantage is remote access? I understand that's not a
big plus and could leave both computers open for damage from the
outside. Is there some other reason I'd need it? It's free via my
employer because I do work at home, so cost isn't an issue.

> Given that
> you've been with 98 for so long (actually I'm assuming you have been)
you
> might like XP Pro more but I understand that it's possible to make
the Media
> Center Edition look just like XP or even 9x if you'd like though I've
never
> done it.

I set up my work computer to have the "classic interface" which is more
'98like (not an exact replica though), visually.

> > 3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with
the
> > goodies that come with Media Center?
>
> No, it shouldn't at any rate. You should be fine installing any
up-to-date
> software on the computer that you have.
>
> > I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
> > about the XP environment.
>
> Yes you should probably be asking in XP groups. The learning curve is
not
> nearly as high as people seem to be inclined to think. Give it a
couple of
> weeks or a month and you'll be tooling along inside of the OS without
any
> major issues at all. I find it simpler and think that if people were
> learn an OS to start with then XP would be what I'd recommend unless
they
> were learning it for power use in which case I'd recommend an old
non-GUI
> *NIX OS but that's a whole other story.
>
> Galen

I'll be fine. It's mainly the 80 GIGs (my 98 was only 30) and this
media center edition which I virtually know nothing about which is
throwing me. I remembered people having discussions about partitioning
hard drives, I thought partitioning a 30 GIG drive was un necessary....
but it's not a bad idea with 80.
March 28, 2005 11:03:20 PM

In news:1112031793.586939.130550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
sf <sfpipeline@gmail.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the interspersed inside of your sent message:

> My new computer is here... still in the box.
>
> I have questions:
>
> 1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What will I
> gain if I do?

I would do so... Why? Because then if you have to re-install the OS any
files saved on the second partition will not be altered or lost when you
format the C: drive.

> 2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is really
> XP Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro
> over it. Or will I?

No, you should be fine with the Media Center. Make sure you isntall SP2
right away. You dont' NEED to install XP Pro unless you want to. Given that
you've been with 98 for so long (actually I'm assuming you have been) you
might like XP Pro more but I understand that it's possible to make the Media
Center Edition look just like XP or even 9x if you'd like though I've never
done it.

> 3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with the
> goodies that come with Media Center?

No, it shouldn't at any rate. You should be fine installing any up-to-date
software on the computer that you have.

> I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
> about the XP environment.

Yes you should probably be asking in XP groups. The learning curve is not
nearly as high as people seem to be inclined to think. Give it a couple of
weeks or a month and you'll be tooling along inside of the OS without any
major issues at all. I find it simpler and think that if people were to
learn an OS to start with then XP would be what I'd recommend unless they
were learning it for power use in which case I'd recommend an old non-GUI
*NIX OS but that's a whole other story.

Galen

March 28, 2005 11:04:54 PM

Not really in the wrong classroom yet Gary. I think a whole bunch of
us will be in the same boat in the not too distant future and would
probably have the same questions. I think most of the gurus here run
both operating systems and more importantly, he knows who to trust in
this NG whereas it may take him a while to figure out who's who in the
XP forum.

> sf, as much as we've loved having you around, you have now graduated
> from this class. You're in the wrong classroom.

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > My new computer is here... still in the box.
> >
> > I have questions:
> >
> > 1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What
will I
> > gain if I do?
> > 2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is
really
> XP
> > Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro
over
> > it. Or will I?
> > 3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with
the
> > goodies that come with Media Center?
> >
> > I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
> > about the XP environment.
> >
> > TIA
> > sf

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:27:02 PM

OK, OK, sniff, sniff...

The first thing to consider when repartitioning is how is it already set
up. For instance, a Dell system may have a small partition that holds
some basic utilities that you can get to through certain keystrokes
during setup. There are any number of variations on the theme. Also, how
does the system restore mechanism work for your new system? Is it an
image restore, or were you given a standard OS installation CD with
another CD for drivers and utilities, and perhaps a few more with
applications?

It was really more the question of the Media Center and what it
constitutes and how to proceed with basic setup and hardening chores
that prompted me to suggest the XP groups. It can get complicated and
with those kinds of things it's best to find a group that deals with
these issues every day, so as not to risk overlooking anything.

--

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > sf, as much as we've loved having you around, you have now graduated
> > from this class. You're in the wrong classroom.

> Thanks for the pointers, Gary. I've already inquired in xp.general
and
> found them <cough> rather useless so far. For some reason I'm not
> connecting with the newusers group via Google (not found). :\ I know
> that one is the better ng for me because I posted to it a few times
> when my mother first got her XP and found them more helpful.
>
> I wanted to have Office Pro (and XP Pro if I needed it) installed
> before using my new computer, but I'm thinking now that I'll take it
> out of the box and install a real news reader at the very least...
then
> I can navigate over to the newusers group for sure.
>
> I was reading up on partitioning this morning and the article talked
> about reformatting. That's why I thought one partition could be XP
Pro
> with MS Office Pro and the other would have Media Center with whatever
> media goodies we install.
>
> See you on the other side, Gary, PCR, MM, PABear, Glee, Colorado et at
> - I'm gonna miss you guys, you're truly a bunch of real characters!
> You're fun to interact with (not afraid to be silly) and informative
> read. Additionally, you've never been stuffy or snooty about how much
> you know and how much I don't know. You're always here to help in a
> NICE way and (when needed) prompt me how to ask questions that will
get
> me better answers. I guess you know that's not a pervasive attitude
in
> this type of newsgroup!
>
> sf
> <waving goodbye>

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:46:42 AM

You don't have to partition the drive, IF you leave it in the box. Many
people do this, by leaving it in the box you gain many things,

1. Windows will never crash (guaranteed, take it to the bank)
2. You'll have more time to watch TV
3. No viruses (or viri if your anal retentive)
4. Makes a great coffe table.
5. Keeps enviromentally unfriendly packaging out of the ecosystem.
6. Really impresses the ladies......
7. You don't have to repack it when it's obsolete and you want to sell
it on Ebay.
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:45:53 AM

Sorry to see you go, sf. I guess Terhune is right about your XP
questions. Although partitioning questions are still valid here, there
may well be XP-considerations even about that. Likely, NTFS partitions
have no reason to be 8 GB or smaller, for instance. I will miss you, &
surely most of us will put on space suits to attend your... well, the...
solemn event that... follows your... uh, "passing"... of XP-radiation
poisoning. OK, OK, OK, bye!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com> wrote in message
| My new computer is here... still in the box.
|
| I have questions:
|
| 1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What will I
| gain if I do?
| 2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is really
XP
| Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro over
| it. Or will I?
| 3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with the
| goodies that come with Media Center?
|
| I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
| about the XP environment.
|
| TIA
| sf

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 3:45:54 AM

PCR wrote:
> Sorry to see you go, sf. I guess Terhune is right about your XP
> questions.

Yeah. Me too.

> Although partitioning questions are still valid here, there
> may well be XP-considerations even about that. Likely, NTFS partitions
> have no reason to be 8 GB or smaller, for instance. I will miss you, &
> surely most of us will put on space suits to attend your... well, the...
> solemn event that... follows your... uh, "passing"... of XP-radiation
> poisoning. OK, OK, OK, bye!
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> My new computer is here... still in the box.
>>
>> I have questions:
>>
>> 1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What will I
>> gain if I do?
>> 2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is really XP
>> Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro over
>> it. Or will I?
>> 3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with the
>> goodies that come with Media Center?
>>
>> I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
>> about the XP environment.
>>
>> TIA
>> sf
March 29, 2005 4:37:02 AM

Top posted 'cause OE Quote Fix is being funny...

Too true...

Also, if you leave it in the box you can remain here! Added bonus!

Galen

<laundry_room@partlycloudy.com> wrote in message
> You don't have to partition the drive, IF you leave it in the box. Many
> people do this, by leaving it in the box you gain many things,
>
> 1. Windows will never crash (guaranteed, take it to the bank)
> 2. You'll have more time to watch TV
> 3. No viruses (or viri if your anal retentive)
> 4. Makes a great coffe table.
> 5. Keeps enviromentally unfriendly packaging out of the ecosystem.
> 6. Really impresses the ladies......
> 7. You don't have to repack it when it's obsolete and you want to sell
> it on Ebay.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 4:40:13 AM

<smooch> See ya there, sf
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> > sf, as much as we've loved having you around, you have now graduated
> > from this class. You're in the wrong classroom.

> Thanks for the pointers, Gary. I've already inquired in xp.general and
> found them <cough> rather useless so far. For some reason I'm not
> connecting with the newusers group via Google (not found). :\ I know
> that one is the better ng for me because I posted to it a few times
> when my mother first got her XP and found them more helpful.
>
> I wanted to have Office Pro (and XP Pro if I needed it) installed
> before using my new computer, but I'm thinking now that I'll take it
> out of the box and install a real news reader at the very least... then
> I can navigate over to the newusers group for sure.
>
> I was reading up on partitioning this morning and the article talked
> about reformatting. That's why I thought one partition could be XP Pro
> with MS Office Pro and the other would have Media Center with whatever
> media goodies we install.
>
> See you on the other side, Gary, PCR, MM, PABear, Glee, Colorado et at
> - I'm gonna miss you guys, you're truly a bunch of real characters!
> You're fun to interact with (not afraid to be silly) and informative to
> read. Additionally, you've never been stuffy or snooty about how much
> you know and how much I don't know. You're always here to help in a
> NICE way and (when needed) prompt me how to ask questions that will get
> me better answers. I guess you know that's not a pervasive attitude in
> this type of newsgroup!
>
> sf
> <waving goodbye>

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 5:54:44 AM

Microsoft has a lot of help on line for XP as well as the Help and Support
built-in. I have been reading the XP newsgroups for awhile and collecting
info - help sites - saving some posts -list of useful downloads, etc. Try to
search with your questions first. Most likely find it has been asked and
answered after this length of time. XP is user friendly; even my young
grandkids can do everything in a few minutes - such as make a movie. Just
play around with it.

In addition to XP groups, there is also this one:
Look for the FAQ post - very helpful.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/

By the way 2 of my daughters got a mediacenter and "love" it.
They have digitalcable - poor me on dialup but I get the hand-me-downs -
last one an 18 month old Dell with XPsp2.
I am keeping a 98 and a 98se for specific purposes until the hardware or
some part goes bye-bye. 98Gold is still my all-time favorite but "it shall
pass".
--
mae

| Exactly, Dan! I'm in transition - not getting what I consider decent
| answers in xp general and haven't connected with newusers yet.
|
| sf
| `````````````````
|

| Dapper Dan wrote:
| > Not really in the wrong classroom yet Gary. I think a whole bunch of
| > us will be in the same boat in the not too distant future and would
| > probably have the same questions. I think most of the gurus here run
| > both operating systems and more importantly, he knows who to trust in
| > this NG whereas it may take him a while to figure out who's who in
| the
| > XP forum.
| >
| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > > sf, as much as we've loved having you around, you have now
| graduated
| > > from this class. You're in the wrong classroom.

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:39:35 AM

"sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com> wrote:

>My new computer is here... still in the box.
>
>I have questions:
>
>1. It has an 80 GIG hard drive. Should I partition it? What will I
>gain if I do?

Partitioning is largely a matter of personal preferences and
housekeeping. Some people are quite comfortable with using one huge
drawer for their filing cabinet, others like to have separate drawers
for different types of files.

>2. My new OS is XP media edition, which I just read today is really XP
>Pro (SP1). Is that true? If so, I won't need to install XP Pro over
>it. Or will I?

XP Media Center edition is a slightly modified version of XP Pro, with
a few components removed and a number of additional items added. All
of the versions of Windows XP (Home, Pro, Media Center, and Tablet)
are compiled from the same source code base and there is zero
difference in performance or stability between them.

The only reason for changing to XP Pro would be if you needed one or
more of the specific features or functions which are found in XP Pro
and are not included in the Media Center edition. But by doing so you
would also loose those other features and functions which are unique
to the Media Center edition.

>3. I am going to install Office Pro too. Will this conflict with the
>goodies that come with Media Center?

I have not heard any reports about any such conflicts, and a quite a
number of people have done this.

>I should probably be asking more questions, but I'm still ignorant
>about the XP environment.

XP newsgroups are generally better for XP related questions. See you
over there if you have further questions.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 12:49:37 PM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 19:03:20 -0500, Galen wrote:

> No, you should be fine with the Media Center. Make sure you isntall SP2
> right away. You dont' NEED to install XP Pro unless you want to. Given that
> you've been with 98 for so long (actually I'm assuming you have been) you
> might like XP Pro more but I understand that it's possible to make the Media
> Center Edition look just like XP or even 9x if you'd like though I've never
> done it.

True. I run XP-Pro on one system and the start menu looks just like Win98.
There's a setting in the "Task Bar and Start Menu". You choose Classic. I
like it much better than the XP Start Menu format.

Patty
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:00:22 PM

Nice of you to reconsider Gary. I also note a whole bunch of others
have jumped on the bandwagon and have offered their 2 cents worth.
That's what we like about this NG.
Thanks

Dan

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:33:06 PM

Goodbye Barbara

3/6

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "sf" <sfpipeline@gmail.com>
wrote:

>See you on the other side, Gary, PCR, MM, PABear, Glee, Colorado et at
>- I'm gonna miss you guys, you're truly a bunch of real characters!
>You're fun to interact with (not afraid to be silly) and informative to
>read. Additionally, you've never been stuffy or snooty about how much
>you know and how much I don't know. You're always here to help in a
>NICE way and (when needed) prompt me how to ask questions that will get
>me better answers. I guess you know that's not a pervasive attitude in
>this type of newsgroup!
>
>sf
><waving goodbye>
April 2, 2005 11:41:24 PM

Well, Galen... the Genie errr, XP, is out of the box and I'm still
configuring it. I have most of my favorite programs up and running.
I've changed my interface to "classic", changed the icons for users to
custom pictures and I have Eudora configured to check my gmail
account. How cool is that? When I signed up a year ago, it was web
mail only!

I even found a free program called PC Locker that may come in handy
sometime.

:)
sf

`````````````````````````

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:37:02 -0500, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com>
wrote:

>op posted 'cause OE Quote Fix is being funny...
>
>Too true...
>
>Also, if you leave it in the box you can remain here! Added bonus!
>
>Galen
>
>--
>Signature changed for a moment of silence.
>Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
><laundry_room@partlycloudy.com> wrote in message
>> You don't have to partition the drive, IF you leave it in the box. Many
>> people do this, by leaving it in the box you gain many things,
>>
>> 1. Windows will never crash (guaranteed, take it to the bank)
>> 2. You'll have more time to watch TV
>> 3. No viruses (or viri if your anal retentive)
>> 4. Makes a great coffe table.
>> 5. Keeps enviromentally unfriendly packaging out of the ecosystem.
>> 6. Really impresses the ladies......
>> 7. You don't have to repack it when it's obsolete and you want to sell
>> it on Ebay.

April 8, 2005 8:02:38 AM

In news:ipou41pvq6qspvrfrfhrfhl2541p23jjf0@4ax.com,
sf <sf@gEEmail.com> had this to say:

> Well, Galen... the Genie errr, XP, is out of the box and I'm still
> configuring it. I have most of my favorite programs up and running.
> I've changed my interface to "classic", changed the icons for users to
> custom pictures and I have Eudora configured to check my gmail
> account. How cool is that? When I signed up a year ago, it was web
> mail only!
>
> I even found a free program called PC Locker that may come in handy
> sometime.
>
> :)
> sf

Gmail is even out of beta now and freely available to all with 2 GB of space
now. Anyhow, I'll keep an eye out for you in the XP groups. You'll find me
most active over there because the slave mistress Kelly, way back when, told
me that that's where I was supposed to be. Of course many of us are active
there too but some people here will yell at you for posting XP questions
here and rightfully so, the topics are for a reason. Good luck with it. I
don't recall if it's Home or Pro that you got but GPEDIT is the coolest
thing on the OS though there's a lot of other great features hidden about.
There's a load of resources available online and a bunch of great books. XP
Annoyances (I think was the title, I've now given it away) has a second
edition out I hear and was a great book. Google knows all and what Google
doesn't know one of the MVPs will try to figure out.

Galen
April 8, 2005 6:35:16 PM

| You'll find me most active over there because
| the slave mistress Kelly, way back when, told
| me that that's where I was supposed to be.

I'm sure the slave mistress means to protect us from 2nd-hand
XP-radiation poisoning, Galen. You must obey!

--
| In news:ipou41pvq6qspvrfrfhrfhl2541p23jjf0@4ax.com,
| sf <sf@gEEmail.com> had this to say:
|
| My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
|
| > Well, Galen... the Genie errr, XP, is out of the box and I'm still
| > configuring it. I have most of my favorite programs up and running.
| > I've changed my interface to "classic", changed the icons for users
| > custom pictures and I have Eudora configured to check my gmail
| > account. How cool is that? When I signed up a year ago, it was web
| > mail only!
| >
| > I even found a free program called PC Locker that may come in handy
| > sometime.
| >
| > :)
| > sf
|
| Gmail is even out of beta now and freely available to all with 2 GB of
space
| now. Anyhow, I'll keep an eye out for you in the XP groups. You'll
find me
| most active over there because the slave mistress Kelly, way back
when, told
| me that that's where I was supposed to be. Of course many of us are
active
| there too but some people here will yell at you for posting XP
questions
| here and rightfully so, the topics are for a reason. Good luck with
it. I
| don't recall if it's Home or Pro that you got but GPEDIT is the
coolest
| thing on the OS though there's a lot of other great features hidden
about.
| There's a load of resources available online and a bunch of great
books. XP
| Annoyances (I think was the title, I've now given it away) has a
second
| edition out I hear and was a great book. Google knows all and what
Google
| doesn't know one of the MVPs will try to figure out.
|
| Galen
| --
| Signature changed for a moment of silence.
| Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

April 9, 2005 4:32:48 PM

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 04:02:38 -0400, Galen wrote:

> don't recall if it's Home or Pro that you got but GPEDIT is the coolest
> thing on the OS though there's a lot of other great features hidden about.

I have Pro. Thanks for cluing me in - I googled GPEDIT, but why I'd
use it didn't hit me in the face... unless it's to restrict a user.
PC Locker wouldn't be for a "user" per se, it would be used to lock
up the computer w/o turning it off - keeping an ankle biter from doing
things that only small children can do to computers.

On a happier note: I'm beginning to think he's outgrown that stage,
because he hasn't bothered this computer at all.

> There's a load of resources available online and a bunch of great books. XP
> Annoyances (I think was the title, I've now given it away) has a second
> edition out I hear and was a great book. Google knows all and what Google
> doesn't know one of the MVPs will try to figure out.

thanks for the additional infornation!