Conroe 2.4ghz is too fast....how do I slow it down??????????

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Sure hope that those will underclock well. They'll probably have to in order not to kill the competition. :twisted:
Can't wait. 3 ghz? That rocks!! Imagine, how high this chip could go on a better cooling solution!!
Only con is that we'll have to wait til august. But i'm not rushing. Better a late and good product rather than an early dissapointing product(like AM2, AMD should have worked more on its chips,BTW it seems that a X2 5000 will be 8x333~2666, still increasing the freq. to 333(from 200) does not change performance, though it might give more OC headroom).

leorick

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Sure hope that those will underclock well. They'll probably have to in order not to kill the competition. Twisted Evil
Can't wait. 3 ghz? That rocks!! Imagine, how high this chip could go on a better cooling solution!!
Only con is that we'll have to wait til august. But i'm not rushing. Better a late and good product rather than an early dissapointing product(like AM2, AMD should have worked more on its chips,BTW it seems that a X2 5000 will be 8x333~2666, still increasing the freq. to 333(from 200) does not change performance, though it might give more OC headroom).

why do people keep trying to compare AM2 to conroe? Why on Earth would you compare a new processor architecture to a new platform? AMD wont be releasing any new brand of CPU's soon, probably next year. But im glad that their going for the unified platform again.

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
To put it simply he's a moron, comparing something new to something re-packaged (right now), and you CAN'T buy either.
It amazes me how person after person can do the same stupid thing. Something is in the water, everybody got stupid. Must be something the Terrorists put in it because stupid is running rampant in Washington, the Public, and on here..................really scary.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
OMG! them Terrorists Probbaly put like Mercury or Lead in our waters starting the Day people heard of Conroe to the day it releases the Mercury thats been building up in ur brains will give us mass paranoia and dillutions. Damn u Terrorists nad your Conroe Mercury Plans!! :evil:

MasterLee

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Intel vs. AMD, Muslims vs Jews, same pitiful sh*t screwing up the World
My fault too for reading this crap, I will be bypassing all of these posts from now on, until the hardware is released and test results are posted.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Intel vs. AMD, Muslims vs Jews, same pitiful sh*t screwing up the World
My fault too for reading this crap, I will be bypassing all of these posts from now on, until the hardware is released and test results are posted.

I Find Religion too screwy to be a part of Because The original Purposes of Religion is just to Countrol people from going Canabalistic mad and uncivilised
They never say in a religion you have to follow it. I'm Muslim but i really don't give a shytt about it. I just respect it and stuff but not anything more than that. But when you get Extremeists and Fanboys start getting involved thats wehn it becomes worthless.

Like Scientology as soon as Celebritys get involved in that Startrek Religion it gets worthless. and When you have Osama thats when being a muslim gets worthless. same with Hitler As soon as he says Blondes and only White skin catholics are supreme Catholic Christain and NAZI gets useless

Exact with AMD and INTEL Compition and Fair debates and soem ammount of Fanning is ok but when you get Fanatics who'll strap bombs to them selfs just to get people to say something is better or you should support it or you'll die is just worthless to follow anymore. If anything can be proven with hard Evidence i will believe it , Inclouding religion. Show me theres a god and its actually doing anything besides scamming people out of money and wasting time. i'll follow, otherwise anything not in hard and visual and having any practical evidence. i won't follow

I'm only AMDing my self because I've had an AMD and ive seen AMD florish myself over most of the Intels that have come during the last 5 years

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
WHY EVEN ARGUE IT...... A new processor and an old processor...... you know.... eventually Intel would have made something that was faster and they did. We are comparing a processor and a platform..... a socket..... how the hell can you compare that?

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Thx you useless git.

I wasn't being serious. The idea is that Conroe will beat AM2. Unoficially proven and more likely.(in reality the dor is opened to any possible situation since what we have about Conroe is mostly speculation)

And i dunno what's with you smart asses lately. I as everybody else KNOW what AM2(platform) and Conroe are.I just think that you are smart enough to understand that i'm refering to THE CPU that will be plugged in the socket not to the platform. And that CPU is not the same plugged in 939. Will you be able to plug it in 939? NO. Do they share the same mem. controllers? NO. Small differences are enough to make them different.
Flaming the ones who participate in these wars is worse than participating yourself.

Conroe hype is EVERYWHERE! I am very aware of it but what can i do? It got me. I never got so obsessed in a thing made out of electric circuits.
But on the other hand, people that are "pacifiers" are actually making the situation much worse. I admit 2 posts with BS. I'll try to control next time.
Best way in these situations is ignoring the posts not responding with your own crap.

ProdigyMS

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Sure hope that those will underclock well. They'll probably have to in order not to kill the competition. Twisted Evil

why do people keep trying to compare AM2 to conroe? Why on Earth would you compare a new processor architecture to a new platform? AMD wont be releasing any new brand of CPU's soon, probably next year. But im glad that their going for the unified platform again.

Finally, someone else that understands! You don't compare a platform (AM2) against a CPU architecture (Conroe), theirs nothing to compare! It's like comparing a car with an engine, and a car without an engine in terms of speed.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
That's what you get for joking around, your obsession is your problem, now get in line behind the guy with the pin head.
LOL
@Prodigy
No one is comparing a socket to a CPU, it's just to tedious to say the CPU that will fit in AM2 instead of AM2.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Yeah, but you might as well compare it to 939, AM2 is not much different. We know that, and have known that. It is not an architectural change, other than DDR2. Just compare it to K8. Why else would AM2 be that much faster?

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
If you are referring to compring generation to generation, then it is a fair compare. K8 is AMD's 8th CPU, come July Conroe will be Intel's 8th generation CPU. So to say we cannot compare Conroe to anyting AMD has today, well tell that to computer buyers in Q3...
So you're saying it would be fair to compare ATI's first GPU to Nvidia's first GPU?

sjps220

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Yeah all this conroe vs AM2 stuff is giving me a headache, but I have yet to comment so here goes.

I think that you can compare the performance of conroe to the performance of an AMD proc on the latest AM2 board, because you have to compare it to something. The problem comes when people start to think that AM2 is supposed to be a major upgrade like Conroe. AM2 is more a preparation for future processors IMO than an upgrade for performance, so comparing the two wont really be a close competition, but as JumpingJack says "well tell that to computer buyers in Q3". I agree. Most customers wont care that AMD will have more processors released for AM2. If we compared every new computer part to parts that are in development that would beat it, we'd never buy anything. I think conroe will do well and AMD will take a little longer to launch something that will take advantage of the AM2 platform and compare to conroe. I mean they'll have to, wont they?

It's been said many many times, but we'll just have to wait until they're launched.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Im not sick of this topic, im sick of all of the people fanboys or not I dont care, who are pissed because people compare Intels new architecture to AMDs "Old" architecture. Well then why cant Intel "Fanboys" be pissed that people compare AMD's newer architecture to Intels "old" architecture. The K8 processors are newer than that of the northwood and prescott processors and people have been comparing them for years.

I also do not want to hear that Intel's prescott was a new processor, it was a revision just like that of all the AMD revisions...which AMD has more revisions than I can count on my damn hand.

Im not a fanboy of either...as you can see by my system, even though my post may seem Intel favored (LOOK AT MY SYSTEM) I go for what is best, but no ones arguments make sence when people try to cover a performance loss by saying..."Well its older of course it will be slower?!?"

The only logical argument to what I am saying is that well there was nothing else around for us to benchmark so that is why we compared them...well then any Intel fanboy can say the same thing!!!

So how about no more of this "Conroe may be faster cause its facing older AMD architecture..eh?"

Lets all just be nice little boys and girls and when Conroe and AM2 come out, if one beats the other...then it will mean Intel caught up, either way neither if them is probably going to be a bottleneck on any type of system. So AMD fanboys...go buy DDR2 and use your same architecture and have fun with new OC'ing abilities. Intel fanboys...go buy Conroe and enjoy the less heat and performance that Intel has lacked for the past few years.

Why I am a credible source:

Worked at a place who only built Intel systems...then worked at a place that only built AMD systems...so I have seen my fair share of the differences!

Personal processors I have had...AMD 1ghz T-Bird...AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 2000+, 2400+, 2800+,
AMD Athlon 64 754 3400+...socket 939 3200+, 3700+, 3800+ Dual Core
Intel P3 600mhz, 1.2ghz..P4 2.4ghz, 2.8ghz E, 3.2ghz E, socket 775 520, 660, 920 Dual Core

I have seen the performance differences in all of these...I might get flamed by Intel fanboys for this, but the P4 architecture has been behind since the release of K8..I dont care what you all say...I had to OC my 660 to 4ghz to equal my 3700+ Sandy and that is why I bought the Sandy.

All in all...just go with which processor you want as long as it gets the job done you need...dont hate on other peoples machines because of the preference!

P.S. Most of this is based on a gaming point of view...but we all know that the K8 wins in alot of application benchies as well...my intel did defrag my machine faster though...lol

Best,

3Ball

Antec NeoHE 550w PS
Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro
AMD Athlon 3700+ Sandy - "Arctic Freezer 64"
2gb (2x1gb) Patriot Performance Memory (2.5-3-2-5)
Sapphire X1900XTX 512mb
(2x120gb WD SATA HD's) - Raid 0

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Easy all you need to do to make a 2.6Ghz Conroe act like a 1.3Ghz Conroe is load up Nortons System Works ! this will slow it down ALOT ! You might even want to upgrade your processor ! lol

tamalsmith

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006

Finally, someone else that understands! You don't compare a platform (AM2) against a CPU architecture (Conroe), theirs nothing to compare! It's like comparing a car with an engine, and a car without an engine in terms of speed.

If you are referring to compring generation to generation, then it is a fair compare. K8 is AMD's 8th CPU, come July Conroe will be Intel's 8th generation CPU. So to say we cannot compare Conroe to anyting AMD has today, well tell that to computer buyers in Q3...

I can hear it now "comparing a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz to a an Athlon 64 3200+ is not a fair compare because you are comparing old Intel technology to new AMD technology, this is a good reason to not buy an AMD, just wait for Intel then compare like to like." .... interesting arguments presented they are :)

id Say you need to stop smoking weed :>

cpus were always compared in performance and class speed, not their "generation".

just like "Ttrughtbreeds" were against the first p4's, and "bartons" for the second..

btw you're preety stupid if you compare names of the versions as "generations"

the "K" name started in #5.. with the K586 PR-100 (wich used the 486 socket of intel )

K6 was a 686 ( and It had 3 diferent models)
K7 had 2 types of sockets.. ( slot A, and socket A ) with around 5 diferent cores, latest was BARTON. ( now sempron socket A )
K8 had 3 sockets again... 940, 939 and 754...

as you see, K8 is no way the 8th generation retard..

jesus these kinds who just joined half in the computing era, and they say they know from the starts

*was proud owner of intel 286, 386 40 MHz-33 Mhz, 486 DX 40 Mhz, K5-133, K6-II 300, K7 - 600 , p4 1.7 Ghz, Athlon XP 2100+, 2800+* and now of a Winchester 3000+

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

I can hear it now "comparing a Pentium 4 2.8 GHz to a an Athlon 64 3200+ is not a fair compare because you are comparing old Intel technology to new AMD technology, this is a good reason to not buy an AMD, just wait for Intel then compare like to like." .... interesting arguments presented they are :)

Word.