NewEgg.com The start and End of all computer shopping

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Time and Time again, I have had a amazing experiance with NewEgg. They are quick to offer refunds, returns, RMA's and almost anything that is required for the customer satisfaction.

I will let their and my words speak for themself. This is NOT the only exceptional experiance I have had with them.

This issue deals with a MSI Radeon X1900XTX that was defective then died on me. I had replaced the motherboard and CPU, thinking that the problem was caused by these parts. When I received the new CPU and MoBo I found that the VideoCard was totally dead. I contacted NewEgg and offered to buy a replacement card, then return the MSI card. I was going to buy another MSI, but they were out of stock and couldnt ensure that I would get the card within a week or two. I then purchased the ATI version of the same card... On returning the item I received the following email from NewEgg

Dear Michael,

Thanks again for shopping at Newegg.com.

We recently received your RMA and your return was then sent to our Inspections Department for closer examination. We received all necessary items for this RMA, but unfortunately the item's original retail box was not included. We will require the retail box in order to honor your RMA; please note that any UPC/Proof of Purchase information printed on the retail box must also be included.

We cannot fully process your RMA without the retail box that was included with this item because our vendor will not accept incomplete returns; if the box is not available, the best option may be to contact the manufacturer directly for repair/replacement.

We will hold this RMA open for 3 business days.
***We need you to reply directly to rmainspect@newegg.com (please include your RMA#) or call us and let us know when you will be sending in the missing retail box.***
If after 3 business days we have not had any contact from you by email (rmainspect@newegg.com) OR by phone (800-390-1119).
We will close this RMA and return the item to you.
It should arrive back to you in approximately 5 - 10 business days.

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct your inquiries to rmainspect@newegg.com or call 1-800-390-1119 during regular business hours for immediate assistance.

Kindest regards,

Newegg.com
RMA Inspections Department
rmainspect@newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com

My response
The Box is in the Garbage.... No one said I had to keep the BOX! What am I going to do with the second video card...

The problem is that you guys offered a Rebate. I sent it in, but hadnt received it in the mail. I dont even remember if it required a cut-out version of the original UPC, but I have a copy of it, with the receipt you gave me. I havent gotten the Rebate, and have been waiting for it. I didnt know what to do with it, and was just going to send it back to the company.

You cant get me stuck with two very expensive video cards... MSI will only give me another Product... Mean while I bought a ATI Radeon version because you where out of stock of the MSI...

I spent more money for the Radeon, cause I didnt want another day with a useless machine. This machine has been nothing but trouble. I just bought a Giga-byte Mobo from you guys because I think the Asus P5B I bought isnt reliable with my processor (x6800) and Corsairs (8500c5).

Now If I Dont get my refund I will end up really in trouble... I just cant afford it...

I even asked what was needed when I requested the RMA and the guy told me all the cables and stuff.... I tried and ask all the questions possible to make sure this would go smoothly. I returned what he told me to, and if he had said that I needed the BOX I would have had to wait for a MSI Video Card to come back into stock...

I had long since tossed the box, I had about 15 boxes, and I didnt have room for them all. All I have now is my Powersupply box and another one that holds left over parts.

Please offer some help here. I cant afford to video cards... I am really at my limits here, and was expecting a refund.
Michael

NewEggs Response
Dear Michael,

I have made the exception and processed your return for a refund. We ask that all packaging and accessories are kept on the packing list provided with each order and in our return policy. The reason for this, is we do not receive any type of credit from our vendors for items that are accepted incomplete. Your refund should be available in 2-3 business days, if you have any questions please feel free to email me directly.

You may find items at cheaper prices on other sites. However the difference in price is often a few dollars, or after shipping, costs more.

The service you get is simply amazing... Time and Time again they have stepped up. If you want I should post other experiances with RMA / Defective products, and or general service.

I will NOT be buying from ANY retail stores or online shops again... Period...

Mike[/quote]

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Example 2

New Egg:
Reference number: XXXXXXXXX Please use this ticket number in any correspondence with Newegg.com.

Subject: Re: Your Newegg.com RMA Confirmation

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

RMA XXXXXXXX for the MSI video card shows that we have not received it.

Please provide method of return shipping and the traking number. I will then have the RMA department check on it.

As to RMA XXXXXXXXX for the NEC DVD R/W refund, the refund of $28.99 was issued on 10/9 and the $10 credit for the return shipping on 10/10.

Please to save time, e-mail me directly xxxxxxxxx@newegg.com with the information on RMA XXXXXXXX.

I have a few more exceptional experiances...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Example 3:

My Request
Message: Item Arived Broken. Tray wouldnt open, and Item would just blink 3 times. I have ordered allot of Items from you guys, and this is the first time Ive had a problem with the item you shipped. I would Like a replacement item, without paying aditional shipping for both the return and the recieving of this good. The Item was tested and I have a high level of understanding of computer technologies.

Newegg
Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Newegg.
I have issued $25 to your credit card account. You are not required to send the item back. Please allow 3-5 business days for the credit to appear.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page.
Thank you,
Kevin Sohn

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Lmfao that was some intense email writing mike lol excellent job on smooth talking newegg.

They really are a great company and I should have my order by today .. building a new rig, i'll post back to let ya know how it went.

i THINK you have too many problems with NEW EGG. If you had gone somewhere else, you wouldnt have had to RMA anything... thus saving you time, greif....

This is only an illusion of great service.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Didnt you hear.,.. New Egg gets all their parts from the REJECT bin... thats why I have so many RMA's... They do everything possible to create RMA's for their customers. Its part of their business strategy to send out defective products... It makes them MILLIONS!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Yeah, but I said I was going to continue and support the threads that I had subscribed too... I helped people out, and I will continue to help thoose that I had in the past.

I may even be around for different reasons... but overall I am just going to let TGForums to the others. I am helping out on a few other forums when I get a chance too.

Mike

kugi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
stuff that i RMA from newegg.

raid controller card
Samsung dvd burner, 2 times

I am about to RMA the hard drive because i boot up it makes this noise.

Sugarcane

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Newegg. I don't shop there anymore because they charge sales tax for my state (NJ), and their shipping charges are a bit higher than other vendors. I think for my last order, shipping and tax was about $60, and the box didn't weigh more than 10lbs. But other than that, it's an excellent company.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
My experience with New Egg is probably about par for the majority who buy from them. I started buying items from them in April of 2004. I have bought approximately $4500 worth of stuff from them. Nothing I bought from them came in DOA or failed within the warranty period. Everything I got from them arrived the day before they said it would arrive.

Things I like about New Egg compared to other online vendors: customer feedback is one thing. The advanced search and progressive search features to find exactly what you are looking for. The ability to compare a number of items side-by-side in one window. The constant positive feedback from customers about New Egg. The fact that they are a business that just does things right.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005
Any problems I've had have usually been fault of manufacturer and not Newegg.

Since I'm in California, their standard shipping is 2 or Next-day. I mean the REGULAR shipping, as in minimum cost shipping. It's at my doorstep either the next day or day after.

I've suited up 3 systems with Newegg and have never had problems with them.

Let's see... 2 motherboards, 3 videocards, 2 orders of ram, 2 hard drives, a case, two mice, two keyboards, 1 CD burner, 2 processors, 1 sound card, 1 power supply, 1 LCD monitor and a partridge in a pear tree.

I also built two other systems for my friend and my ex girlfriend, each ordering through neweggs. So make that another 2 of each. Probably over 3000 dollars of parts to Newegg with no problems.

I love the prices, but sometimes I wish I lived just outside California, so the shipping would be fast but there wouldn't be tax. I have a feeling they have multiple warehouses. The reason for that is because when I ordered my monitor, it took 3 days, but the reason was on Newegg.com, "Out of stock at CA warehouse, shipping from New Jersey". I think even though their sales are out of California and most of their merchandise is in California, they probably have multiple warehouses throughout the country, hence the weird fast shipping some people experience in states outside of California.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
greenjelly,

Are you one of those kinds of people who buy things without much research and try it out, and if you don't like it, send it back on an RMA just because you can?

For what it's worth, I don't fritter away money that I worked to earn. I put a few hours at least into researching what I want and what need it fulfills. I then look at pros and cons of ordering it from different sites and whether picking it up at a local retailer may be the better choice for me. I am of the use-it-up, wear-it-out and donate-it kind of person with things I buy. My first computer (an Apple IIC) I sold after having used it for ten years. My fist wintel computer was one bought from an online vendor that had cow-spotted boxes and it resides somewhere I do not know any more, but I got my money's worth out of it and donated it to someone who had no computer.

I'm a technology enthusiast and know electronics well enough to troubleshoot down to the component on most things I get. I have broken things from ignorance. I have caused failures from faulty practises, like not working in an anti-static area when taking electronic things apart and putting them together. I have made my share of mistakes. For all the things computer-wise I've ever bought, 95% of them still work, even if they are totally obsolete. I've never had to RMA anything except an electronic scale that failed on me in it's warranty period. Everything else just keeps on ticking.

What exactly are you doing that things fail on you? Most everything fails for a reason, whether by excess heat, electrostatic discharge of electrical input surges (ie lightening strike electrical wires entering the house). If you put it together and keep it together, it keeps on working. If you put it together and take it apart frequently, it's your actions that break it.

intel700

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Didnt you hear.,.. New Egg gets all their parts from the REJECT bin... thats why I have so many RMA's... They do everything possible to create RMA's for their customers. Its part of their business strategy to send out defective products... It makes them MILLIONS!

I agree. I have purchased approx. $10,000 worth parts for personal, friends, and office. Sometimes they don't do anything when I have a problem - they just redirect me to the manufacturer or "mail-in rebate processor". The latest experience I had is at:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/Newegg-mail-rebate-problems-ftopict19470.html

If you think the hardware problems are created by "end user fault" mostly, carefully go thorugh Newegg's product specifications and customer reviews for the same product elsewhere (because Newegg censors the customer reviews in their web site). You will learn what you purchased was NOT what was advertised in the web site, you are too late to do anything (unless you are willing to pay 15% restocking fee).

I am done shopping with them (and dealing with scammers to claim mail-in rebates).

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Let me address a few of the things you say.

New Egg gets their parts from the reject bin? This is totally bogus. You order retail parts and you get the boxes that have not been opened (I will grant that a rare occurence is when a box that was opened and returned, yet the packing material inside was not disturbed, that it might end up as new when it should be re-labeled). New Egg clearly marks return products and reduced prices with less guarantees than they do with new. I am saying this, not as a New Egg fan, but because, as a smart shopper I've done my homework.

The next thing I want to address is your statement to get reviews elsewhere. I do that as a matter of course. What I do, also, is read all the reviews on a product. I will discount a small handful of reviews if not many people have bought a product. For those that hundreds of people have bought and given feedback, I read all the feedback. Compared to other discussion sites, it seems to me that feedback on New Egg is honest and not censored.

Now, you complain that New Egg did not help you with the Foxconn rebate. In my view it is the manufacturer who screwed you, not New Egg. Why should New Egg be faulted when they did not offer the rebate nor administer the rebate. Furthermore, most people know that manufacturers love rebates because most folks don't bother to send in the paperwork. You did not detail the exact problem you had with the rebate. Was it documentation missing? Did you keep copies of what original material you sent in for your rebate? Even if you were right in everything you did, it is common for people to be screwed out of a rebate. This is life, get over it. Do not, as you seem to do, transfer your anger about being screwed on New Egg.

Now as far as my experience, in a period of three years I've spent approximately $4,055.51 on things I've bought from New Egg (note my sarcasm on being, "approximate."). I made 12 different orders, some for just one item, others for all the parts to build one computer. I even bought an open box item (a 4-port router) that was clearly marked as open and was reduced in price by a small amount. Everything I've ordered worked. I had one motherboard fail on me (not a hard failure) but that was way out of warranty and my fault (although I could not say what I did to damage the board since I used it as a test bed and had plugged and un plugged a lot of things from it in two years time).

Not everyone will have a positive experience with any vendor. Every vendor has customers from hell and by counterpoint have burned a customer here and there; it goes with the territory.

I will finalize my post here with this information. In a number of different reviews in publications from both IDG and Ziff Davis media and found New Egg was at the top of the preferred on-line vendor list, based on unbiased customer feedback. This is the due diligence I took when I first decided to buy from New Egg back when they were just a little guy. They are my preferred vendor for a lot of reasons based on the experiences I've had with a host of other online vendors of more than just computer-related products.

mokume1

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Newbie here,
Considering building a new desktop, have heard many good things about Newegg, as opposed to TigerDirect.
Living in Hawaii, shipping costs and times is certainly an issue, Amazon does offer free shipping here for some items, but usually takes a week to arrive
There is one big box electronics retailer here though that I will never do business with again, initials are 'BB' sign icon is black letters with a yellow background. Perhaps this is moot because they do not offer items for sale so far as building a system goes, but if there is ANYTHING that they do offer is atrocious service.
Will give Newegg a try......

intel700

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Let me address a few of the things you say.

New Egg gets their parts from the reject bin?

Now, you complain that New Egg did not help you with the Foxconn rebate. In my view it is the manufacturer who screwed you, not New Egg. Why should New Egg be faulted when they did not offer the rebate nor administer the rebate. Furthermore, most people know that manufacturers love rebates because most folks don't bother to send in the paperwork. You did not detail the exact problem you had with the rebate. Was it documentation missing? Did you keep copies of what original material you sent in for your rebate? Even if you were right in everything you did, it is common for people to be screwed out of a rebate. This is life, get over it. Do not, as you seem to do, transfer your anger about being screwed on New Egg.

Now as far as my experience, in a period of three years I've spent approximately $4,055.51 on things I've bought from New Egg (note my sarcasm on being, "approximate.").

My "approximate" spendings at NewEgg.com, on my account ONLY, is $7381.47. With spendings on work/office accounts the total is $14181.47 (approx.). With all these they still tried to rip me off, that's what bothers me.

About the Foxconn rebate:
Who showed me the rebate (and reduced price)? NewEgg.
Who collected money from me (including the rebate) at the time of purchase? NewEgg.
Who forced me to register with myrebates411.com to claim the rebate? NewEgg
Then how on earth NewEgg is "completely innocent" of all this? When I compained about the defective motherboard, why NewEgg still wanted to charge their 15% restocking fee to give me a refund? Just because they are "not responsible" for manufacturer's fault? If this is true, the following should be true, too.

If you bought a Japanese car and forund that it had a factory defect. Now you go to the dealer and ask the dealer to take care of it. Then the dealer will ask you to send the car to Japan and get it fixed because the dealer "doesn't test the car before selling". So, you agree with this argument and come back home thinking of what to do because the "innocent" car dealer has done nothing bad. Give me a break!

NewEgg (as far as I understand after all these) does sell factory second/reject computer parts and when things go wrong they "stand behind" their "return policy" which is charging a 15% restocking fee on ALL returns. Here are some hardware, which have known factory defects, but they still sell (I know this because I have used/returned these):

Asus M2N-E motherboard
Foxconn 955X7AA-8EKRS2 motherboard
Foxconn NF4UK8AA-8EKRS motherboard
ECS RS485M-M (V1.0) motherboard

Some of the problems these motherboards have are not that critical (menas they "work"), but they do not work as they are supposed to be.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Folks, here is the link to New Egg return policies.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=quote&mode2=1&p=456574

Note that there is a 15% restocking fee only on bundled products.

RMA returns are not.

New Egg offers choices. It is up to the consumer to determine if a product is suitable or compatible with what they are buying it for. So if a product has a known factory defect, then why did you bother to buy it?

What's your issue? You spent a lot of money over time and one time you feel ripped off so you put a complete tank on the company.

You are no longer a credible evaluator of the company if you knock it for because you got screwed out of a factory rebate, not a New Egg rebate. In addition, it is written New Egg policy that you can only get an exact replacement for a failed product, not a different product. I would want to know more of your facts if you care to share them with us as far as why you are so dissatisfied with their response.

intel700

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
Here is NewEgg STANDARD RETURN POLICY as of 27/02/2007 (from thir web site. Note: I highlighted the important part):

------------------------------
Standard Return Policy

Return for refund within: 30 days
Return for replacement within: 1 year
This is our Detailed Standard Return Policy. Unless another return policy is indicated, products sold by Newegg.com are covered by this Standard Return Policy. Merchandise under this Standard Return Policy may be returned a) within 30 days of the original invoice date for a refund, or b) within one year of the original invoice date for a replacement of the same item. All returns require an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number. All items returned for a refund are subject to a 15% restocking fee. Many manufacturers offer additional factory coverage. With regard to such, you should contact the manufacturer of your item directly for information regarding eligibility and specific Terms and Conditions.
----------------------------------
If somebody can't read and understand this I don't know what to say.

Here is an item, with known defects, NewEgg (still) sells:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131022

This item is covered by "standard return policy" which means, if you found this is unusable you have to pay 15% restocking fee (and shipping it back to NewEgg) to buy another brand/model.

FYI: Here is the latest review on this product in NewEgg product page (this may disappear soon):
---------------------------
Reviewed By: N/A on 2/26/2007 Tech Level: high - Ownership: 1 month to 1 year

Pros: nothing

Cons: day 1 underclocked ram to make work doesnt work with OCZ ram day 35 <warrenty expired for newegg> bios boot failures day 40 <the nightmare begins> usb ports inconsistantly working/failing day 60 mouse/keyboard randomly not working day 100 soundcard incorrectly loading <sometimes>

Other Thoughts: read lowest reviews b4 u buy this is the worst motherboard i have ever seen Asus warrenty 3 year limited warrenty just sends u back to newegg for a replacement why would i want the same terrible board AGAIN!
-------------------------
The reveiw I wrote for this item is still there (dated 10/9/2006), may be because I gave it 3 eggs.

insightdriver

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Standard return policy is for people who want to try a new board, then send it back because they don't like it. Standard return implies you are unhappy with the product and want to return it. This is a different case than asking for an RMA for a defective product.

I guess you have to agree on a standard definition for, "defective product."

Your, "known defects," are due to the nature of marketing mainboards in this fast-moving market. You, apparently do not choose stable products. This is your choice you made, so take responsibility for it. If you want stable and well-designed motherboards, stick with the models and brands that are known for stability. You are blaming the vendor for your choices.

You were, obviously sending a board back that you were not happy with. You call it a known defect, but, as I said, with stable bios settings and good ram the boards you sent back actually work. They just don't overclock the way you want them to.

I read forums all the time on specific models of boards. I learn what the issues are. I decide what kind of board I want. If I want to experiment with overclocking I know that it's partly a crap-shoot. You may get a good board, you may get a lemon. You might get a processor with a lot of headroom, you might get one that maxes out at just over stock. Certain configurations may not work. Some boards are finicky about the kind of ram you put in them. You find bios issues and have to wait for the board maker to write a new bios you have to download. There are all kinds of issues with a lot of different boards. Yes, in one way, you can say they are known defects. In my way of thinking, though, you are blaming the vendor where you should be kicking yourself for making a poor choice.

By the way, I read your review and all 210 other ones as well. One thing strikes me; how many people post that they were surprised that the ram voltage can only be set to 1.95; that there are issues with ram compatibility; that there is only one PATA connector. All these issues are known if you read about the board before you buy it! Do your research and do due diligence. Don't blame the vendor for your own poor choices.