Using VOIP Line for Remote Call Forwarding

Last response: in Networking
September 10, 2004 2:48:04 PM

I am totaly new to VOIP so please keep that in mind when answering
this question.

I would like to be able to use a VOIP service (that has free long
distance) to make long distance calls using my cell phone. Therefore,
I would like to be able to call my home (voip) number and have it pick
up my call and allow me to enter the number I what to call and route
my call to that number. Is this possible and what do I need in terms
of harware and service to make this happen? Is there some dedicated
box that has the firmware to handle this? (I would like to avoid
having to purchase a PC, install linux, and install some call
management software, if I can...

Thanks for your help

Earl
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 2:07:24 AM

Well Linux with Asterisk can do this - DISA is the term you need to
research.

"Earl T" <earlt777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am totaly new to VOIP so please keep that in mind when answering
> this question.
>
> I would like to be able to use a VOIP service (that has free long
> distance) to make long distance calls using my cell phone. Therefore,
> I would like to be able to call my home (voip) number and have it pick
> up my call and allow me to enter the number I what to call and route
> my call to that number. Is this possible and what do I need in terms
> of harware and service to make this happen? Is there some dedicated
> box that has the firmware to handle this? (I would like to avoid
> having to purchase a PC, install linux, and install some call
> management software, if I can...
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Earl
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 4:31:06 AM

The Sipura SPA-3000 may be able to do what you want.

Mike Schumann

"Earl T" <earlt777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am totaly new to VOIP so please keep that in mind when answering
> this question.
>
> I would like to be able to use a VOIP service (that has free long
> distance) to make long distance calls using my cell phone. Therefore,
> I would like to be able to call my home (voip) number and have it pick
> up my call and allow me to enter the number I what to call and route
> my call to that number. Is this possible and what do I need in terms
> of harware and service to make this happen? Is there some dedicated
> box that has the firmware to handle this? (I would like to avoid
> having to purchase a PC, install linux, and install some call
> management software, if I can...
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Earl
September 11, 2004 11:48:07 PM

earlt777@hotmail.com (Earl T) wrote in message news:<ad901790.0409100948.13b578e1@posting.google.com>...
> I would like to be able to use a VOIP service (that has free long
> distance) to make long distance calls using my cell phone.
> Thanks for your help
>
> Earl

Hi Earl,

iptalks.net allows you to register your cell phone # ... then use a
dial around service ... like a calling card ... and place long
distance calls or even international calls ... at very resoanable
rates ...

IPTalks.net Launches Special Promotion -- Free International Long
Distance Calls From Any Phone

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/040901/072085.html

when going to http://www.iptalks.net/ wait for the flash to be over or
hit the skip button and you will see a place to sign up for a free $5
trial offer.

Eventually NTTL.OB will have other options like "call back"

a person of oneness,
Dean Hedges
ind inv in NTTL.OB & member of the Baha'i Faith
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 11:48:17 PM

Earl,
I came across a device that seems to do what you describe. Since the post
is so old, I am also sending to your email addy.

http://sipphone.com/accessories/
(fx200)

"Earl T" <earlt777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am totaly new to VOIP so please keep that in mind when answering
> this question.
>
> I would like to be able to use a VOIP service (that has free long
> distance) to make long distance calls using my cell phone. Therefore,
> I would like to be able to call my home (voip) number and have it pick
> up my call and allow me to enter the number I what to call and route
> my call to that number. Is this possible and what do I need in terms
> of harware and service to make this happen? Is there some dedicated
> box that has the firmware to handle this? (I would like to avoid
> having to purchase a PC, install linux, and install some call
> management software, if I can...
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Earl
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:52:57 AM

"Earl T" <earlt777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am totaly new to VOIP so please keep that in mind when answering
> this question.
>
> I would like to be able to use a VOIP service (that has free long
> distance) to make long distance calls using my cell phone.
> Therefore,
> I would like to be able to call my home (voip) number and have it
> pick
> up my call and allow me to enter the number I what to call and
> route
> my call to that number. Is this possible and what do I need in
> terms
> of harware and service to make this happen? Is there some
> dedicated
> box that has the firmware to handle this? (I would like to avoid
> having to purchase a PC, install linux, and install some call
> management software, if I can...
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Earl

The ATT Callvantage Service has that as a standard feature. You set
it up on their website. You can register phone numbers so you do
not have to dial your VoIP number first. You enter the appropriate
numbers and the call goes through. ATT uses a separate Call
Management number from the VoIP number which is a virtual number.

--
Earl F. Parrish
!