Setting device to specific drive letter

Hello All

I thought I saw something related to this recently here. Is it possible to
set up my Win98se laptop so that when I connect my external hard drive it is
always assigned to the same drive letter and my cd burner as well? Normally
my external drive goes to "E" and my cd burner to "F." But sometimes for no
reason I can understand or if I connect them in reverse order they end up
assigned to different letters, sometimes even "G" or "H."

This makes it a pain to use my Visa Versa software to backup my stuff. It
remembers where I back up to last time, but of course that doesn't work if
the drive letter changes, forcing me to drill for the new location.

Thanks.

--
Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

"Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello All
>
> I thought I saw something related to this recently here. Is it possible to
> set up my Win98se laptop so that when I connect my external hard drive it is
> always assigned to the same drive letter and my cd burner as well? Normally
> my external drive goes to "E" and my cd burner to "F." But sometimes for no
> reason I can understand or if I connect them in reverse order they end up
> assigned to different letters, sometimes even "G" or "H."
>
> This makes it a pain to use my Visa Versa software to backup my stuff. It
> remembers where I back up to last time, but of course that doesn't work if
> the drive letter changes, forcing me to drill for the new location.

Go into Device manager, find the device and do a "Properties" on it.
Look under the "Settings" tab for "Reserved drive letters"

Thank you Bill for the response.

I've tried attaching my external drive to USB and then to Firewire ports. In
each case, the proper drive letter appears but is grayed out. If I
disconnect the drive, of course, the entry disappears. So there doesn't seem
to be any way to change it that I can see.

--

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

> "Anthony Giorgianni" <pleasepostbacktothegroup@postbacktogroup.invalid>
wrote in message
> > Hello All
> >
> > I thought I saw something related to this recently here. Is it possible
> > set up my Win98se laptop so that when I connect my external hard drive
it is
> > always assigned to the same drive letter and my cd burner as well?
Normally
> > my external drive goes to "E" and my cd burner to "F." But sometimes
for no
> > reason I can understand or if I connect them in reverse order they end
up
> > assigned to different letters, sometimes even "G" or "H."
> >
> > This makes it a pain to use my Visa Versa software to backup my stuff.
It
> > remembers where I back up to last time, but of course that doesn't work
if
> > the drive letter changes, forcing me to drill for the new location.
>
> Go into Device manager, find the device and do a "Properties" on it.
> Look under the "Settings" tab for "Reserved drive letters"

Thanks for that explanation, Bill. So far it is doing everything I need. But
I will keep it in mind.