Dial-Up connection?

Bud

Whenever I click the Music Match icon on my desktop, my dial-up connection
box comes up. I have gone through MM settings and unchecked anything to do
with the net. so don't know what to do. It has also acted this way with a few
other icons, but don't remember which ones. This is becoming very annoying so
I hope that someone can help me find a solution. Thanks in advance.

Have you checked in its Options or Preferences to disable automatically checking for
updates?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"glee" wrote:

> Have you checked in its Options or Preferences to disable automatically checking for
> updates?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Whenever I click the Music Match icon on my desktop, my dial-up connection
> > box comes up. I have gone through MM settings and unchecked anything to do
> > with the net. so don't know what to do. It has also acted this way with a few
> > other icons, but don't remember which ones. This is becoming very annoying so
> > I hope that someone can help me find a solution. Thanks in advance.
>
> Yes, as I stated, I have unchecked any thing that concerned connecting to the net.

There can be any number of things that cause such a program to connect,
things that don't readily appear to require internet connection. If MM
has the equivalent of Digital Rights Management, or if it's set to fetch
lyrics and other info about the tune (I'm just guessing, since I don't
have any current knowledge of MM per se.) Even things which aren't
accessible via Preferences--things you can't do anything about except
stop using the program. There may even already be an action pending
based upon previous settings that simply hasn't completed and won't go
away until it completes. That last could be checked by launching MM
while online, then closing MM and the connection, then launching MM
again.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Have you checked in its Options or Preferences to disable
automatically checking for
> > updates?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Whenever I click the Music Match icon on my desktop, my dial-up
connection
> > > box comes up. I have gone through MM settings and unchecked
anything to do
> > > with the net. so don't know what to do. It has also acted this way
with a few
> > > other icons, but don't remember which ones. This is becoming very
annoying so
> > > I hope that someone can help me find a solution. Thanks in
advance.

> > Yes, as I stated, I have unchecked any thing that concerned
connecting to the net.

"Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whenever I click the Music Match icon on my desktop, my dial-up connection
> box comes up. I have gone through MM settings and unchecked anything to do
> with the net. so don't know what to do. It has also acted this way with a
few
> other icons, but don't remember which ones. This is becoming very annoying
so
> I hope that someone can help me find a solution. Thanks in advance.

There are a number of reasons why this could be happening,
such as this one:

"To prevent Musicmatch Jukebox from requesting a connection to the Internet,
do the following:

- Open Musicmatch Jukebox.
- Click the "View" menu.
- Click "My Library".
- Click the "Options" menu.
- Click "Settings".
- Deselect the options under
"Permission to communicate with Musicmatch server".
- Click the "CD Lookup/Connectivity" tab.
- Disable the CD lookup service.

If Musicmatch Jukebox continues to attempt an Internet connection
with all permissions to communicate with the server disabled
using the steps above, it is likely that Musicmatch Jukebox is attempting
to verify the certificate used. If this is the case, it will continue until
such time
as the program is allowed to access the Internet to confirm the purchase
certificate.

Please let Musicmatch Jukebox connect to the Internet one time
for certificate verification to resolve this issue. "

You can check others for yourself using the manual
or via the knowledgedbase on the Music Match site.

Example, using the search term "connection"

http://www.musicmatch.com/form/support/index.cgi?col=techsupp&qt=connection&x=21&y=8

I don't use MM, and uninstall it from all the machines at work, as we don't need it
there, so I can't tell you much else, other than try uninstalling it, and then
reinstall it.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "glee" wrote:
>
> > Have you checked in its Options or Preferences to disable automatically checking
for
> > updates?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Bud" <Bud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Whenever I click the Music Match icon on my desktop, my dial-up connection
> > > box comes up. I have gone through MM settings and unchecked anything to do
> > > with the net. so don't know what to do. It has also acted this way with a few
> > > other icons, but don't remember which ones. This is becoming very annoying so
> > > I hope that someone can help me find a solution. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Yes, as I stated, I have unchecked any thing that concerned connecting to the
net.

Good one, Hugh.