How do I get rid of Norton completely?

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 29, 2005 2:06:45 AM

I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot to
uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email scanning
part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry either.
On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

More about : rid norton completely

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:06:46 AM

Search Norton Support for "uninstall". Shouldn't take long to find the
right answers, but if you get stymied, post back and I'll look it up
again, <s>. There are various tools and/or procedures you need to take,
depending on the version(s) you've had installed.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
news:p SYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com...

> I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot
> uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email
scanning
> part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
> attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
> pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
> as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
> nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry
either.
> On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
> files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
> message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.
>

> --
> PSYCHOPIXIE
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:31:56 AM

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:06:45 +0100, PSYCHOPIXIE
<PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com> wrote:

>I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot to
>uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email scanning
>part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
>attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
>pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
>as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
>nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry either.
>On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
>files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
>message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.

I believe the Norton or Symantec site has uninstall instructions.
All but the registered date information should be removed. That's so
you can't uninstall then re-install and get a new date for free AV
updates. There are several files that remain and also some registry
entries. The files are probably in the C:\WINDOWS\Application Data
folder and the names are the date. (e.g. 20040325) Searching the
registry for AV, Norton and Symantec would find those entries.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 8:42:03 AM

PSYCHOPIXIE <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com> wrote:

>I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot to
>uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email scanning
>part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
>attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
>pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
>as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
>nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry either.
>On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
>files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
>message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.

What version of Norton? If it is NAV 2002 or 2003 then get the
RNAV2003.EXE utility from the Symantec website and run it to clean up
the mess that the Norton uninstaller leave behind.

Also go through your hard drive and delete any left-over
Norton/Symantec folders.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--