How do I get rid of Norton completely?

I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot to
uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email scanning
part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry either.
On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
3 answers Last reply

    Search Norton Support for "uninstall". Shouldn't take long to find the
    right answers, but if you get stymied, post back and I'll look it up
    again, <s>. There are various tools and/or procedures you need to take,
    depending on the version(s) you've had installed.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

    > I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot
    > uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email
    scanning
    > part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
    > attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
    > pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
    > as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
    > nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry
    either.
    > On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
    > files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
    > message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.
    >

    > --
    > PSYCHOPIXIE

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:06:45 +0100, PSYCHOPIXIE
    <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com> wrote:

    >I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot to
    >uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email scanning
    >part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
    >attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
    >pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
    >as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
    >nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry either.
    >On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
    >files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
    >message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.

    I believe the Norton or Symantec site has uninstall instructions.
    All but the registered date information should be removed. That's so
    you can't uninstall then re-install and get a new date for free AV
    updates. There are several files that remain and also some registry
    entries. The files are probably in the C:\WINDOWS\Application Data
    folder and the names are the date. (e.g. 20040325) Searching the
    registry for AV, Norton and Symantec would find those entries.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

    PSYCHOPIXIE <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com> wrote:

    >I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I forgot to
    >uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email scanning
    >part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
    >attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
    >pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at that
    >as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving me
    >nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry either.
    >On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
    >files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
    >message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in advance.

    What version of Norton? If it is NAV 2002 or 2003 then get the
    RNAV2003.EXE utility from the Symantec website and run it to clean up
    the mess that the Norton uninstaller leave behind.

    Also go through your hard drive and delete any left-over
    Norton/Symantec folders.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --