MS Word won't open Saved Docs

kim

I went to msconfig to reset and now Word can not find my saved Word docs. How
can I fix this?
Thanks for help.

kim

Thanks Richard. In msconfig, I did a diagnostic restart and said yes to
everything. When I click on a saved word doc, the message on the Word screen
says the file xxx is not available.

"Kim" wrote:

> I went to msconfig to reset and now Word can not find my saved Word docs. How
> can I fix this?
> Thanks for help.

Please be more specific. What did you reset in msconfig? What error
message do you get when you try to find a saved Word Doc? Where, in the
computer file structure, did you look for documents?

"Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I went to msconfig to reset and now Word can not find my saved Word docs.
>How
> can I fix this?
> Thanks for help.

When you "click on a saved word doc." Is that in the list at the bottom of
the FILE menu?
Or do you go to FILE - OPEN and pick the document from the storage folder?
(most often MY DOCUMENTS).
The list of files at the bottom of the FILE menu is a list of most recently
opened documents, which may or may not be stored in the original location.
When you go to the OPEN method, you are assured that what you see is
actually there.

Not sure if the following will help in this instance, but often the file
"normal.dot" gets corrupted and causes all sorts of weird things. Go to
START - FIND - FILES AND FOLDERS. Search for NORMAL.DOT. When you find it,
delete all copies you find and then restart Word (if will build a new
version of the file) and see if that solves your problem.

> Thanks Richard. In msconfig, I did a diagnostic restart and said yes to
> everything. When I click on a saved word doc, the message on the Word
> screen
> says the file xxx is not available.
>

> "Kim" wrote:
>
>> I went to msconfig to reset and now Word can not find my saved Word docs.
>> How
>> can I fix this?
>> Thanks for help.

kim

Richard, you're on the the problem for sure. That's exactly what has been
happening. I tried your solution, but my word docs in My Documents will still
not open. I'm still getting the not available error message. Any other
thoughts....

"Richard Goh" wrote:

> When you "click on a saved word doc." Is that in the list at the bottom of
> the FILE menu?
> Or do you go to FILE - OPEN and pick the document from the storage folder?
> (most often MY DOCUMENTS).
> The list of files at the bottom of the FILE menu is a list of most recently
> opened documents, which may or may not be stored in the original location.
> When you go to the OPEN method, you are assured that what you see is
> actually there.
>
> Not sure if the following will help in this instance, but often the file
> "normal.dot" gets corrupted and causes all sorts of weird things. Go to
> START - FIND - FILES AND FOLDERS. Search for NORMAL.DOT. When you find it,
> delete all copies you find and then restart Word (if will build a new
> version of the file) and see if that solves your problem.
>
> "Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Richard. In msconfig, I did a diagnostic restart and said yes to
> > everything. When I click on a saved word doc, the message on the Word
> > screen
> > says the file xxx is not available.
> >

> > "Kim" wrote:
> >
> >> I went to msconfig to reset and now Word can not find my saved Word docs.
> >> How
> >> can I fix this?
> >> Thanks for help.

I don't have any other suggestions. Have you tried the MS Office news
group?

> Richard, you're on the the problem for sure. That's exactly what has been
> happening. I tried your solution, but my word docs in My Documents will
> still
> not open. I'm still getting the not available error message. Any other
> thoughts....
>
> "Richard Goh" wrote:
>
>> When you "click on a saved word doc." Is that in the list at the bottom
>> of
>> the FILE menu?
>> Or do you go to FILE - OPEN and pick the document from the storage
>> folder?
>> (most often MY DOCUMENTS).
>> The list of files at the bottom of the FILE menu is a list of most
>> recently
>> opened documents, which may or may not be stored in the original
>> location.
>> When you go to the OPEN method, you are assured that what you see is
>> actually there.
>>
>> Not sure if the following will help in this instance, but often the file
>> "normal.dot" gets corrupted and causes all sorts of weird things. Go to
>> START - FIND - FILES AND FOLDERS. Search for NORMAL.DOT. When you find
>> it,
>> delete all copies you find and then restart Word (if will build a new
>> version of the file) and see if that solves your problem.
>>
>> "Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Richard. In msconfig, I did a diagnostic restart and said yes to
>> > everything. When I click on a saved word doc, the message on the Word
>> > screen
>> > says the file xxx is not available.

Are these shortcuts to the files?
Is the path correct in properties of the shortcut?
Right click and select Properties from the popup menu.

Have you checked File Types for the proper association?
Open either Explorer or MyComputer
On the menu bar click View > Folder Options > File Types
Scroll to the associated extension
Click once on it to highlite it
Click Edit > Open > Edit

More on associations:
How to Create a File Association in Windows 98 and Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q306493

Getting/Using Open With from the popup menu

Left click once on a file you want to associate with a program to hilite it.
Next hold down the Shift key and right click on it to get the popup menu.
Select “Open With� from the list.
Select the program you want to open it with by left clicking it once.
Put a check in “Always open.......�
Click Apply/Ok.

**Note: You may find it better to leave “Always open.......� unchecked until
you are sure that you have the correct program you want to use. Once you are
sure of the program to use, then check it.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Richard. In msconfig, I did a diagnostic restart and said yes to
> everything. When I click on a saved word doc, the message on the Word screen
> says the file xxx is not available.
>

> "Kim" wrote:
>
>> I went to msconfig to reset and now Word can not find my saved Word docs. How
>> can I fix this?
>> Thanks for help.

Kim,

1. If you run WinWord with -a switch (Start -- Run... 'Browse...'
button -- (find and select WinWord.exe) -- Open -- complete the line
with space followed by -a) -- can you open the DOC-files then? If yes
-- most likely there is a harmful macros in the Startup folder of
WinWord (not Windows Startup folder!).

2. If not, and you re-register WinWord (run it with -r switch: Start
-- Run... 'Browse...' button -- (find and select WinWord.exe) -- Open --
complete the line with space followed by -r) -- does it work after
that?

--
Mikhail Zhilin
http://www.aha.ru/~mwz