How do I get rid of Norton completely?

It is part of Norton system works 2002 which I hear is a bit of a beast.
Within add and remove programs there are some symantec programs which as
I said previously I think relate to what I have uninstalled in one way
or another. I tried regcleaner but it didn't pick up on any funny
norton registry keys. That ps isn't online so what is the best way of
ridding myself of small mess(question mark).

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
3 answers Last reply

    Use a different computer to go to Symantec site, find and print
    appropriate instructions, find and download their uninstall/cleanup
    utility, burn them to CD and take that to the problem machine.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mnuzy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

    > It is part of Norton system works 2002 which I hear is a bit of a
    beast.
    > Within add and remove programs there are some symantec programs which
    as
    > I said previously I think relate to what I have uninstalled in one way
    > or another. I tried regcleaner but it didn't pick up on any funny
    > norton registry keys. That ps isn't online so what is the best way of
    > ridding myself of small mess(question mark).
    > Ron Martell Wrote:
    > > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com wrote:
    > > -
    > >
    > > I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I
    forgot
    > > uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email
    > > scanning
    > > part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
    > > attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
    > > pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at
    that
    > > as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving
    me
    > > nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry
    > > either.
    > > On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
    > > files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
    > > message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in
    > > advance.-
    > >
    > > What version of Norton? If it is NAV 2002 or 2003 then get the
    > > RNAV2003.EXE utility from the Symantec website and run it to clean
    up
    > > the mess that the Norton uninstaller leave behind.
    > >
    > > Also go through your hard drive and delete any left-over
    > > Norton/Symantec folders.
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >

    > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >
    > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    >

    > --
    > PSYCHOPIXIE

    Will you please tell us why should we use different computer to go to
    Symantic site for downloading their uninstall/cleanup
    utility?
    Cant we burn them to CD in same computer?
    TIA

    > Use a different computer to go to Symantec site, find and print
    > appropriate instructions, find and download their uninstall/cleanup
    > utility, burn them to CD and take that to the problem machine.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1mnuzy@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > It is part of Norton system works 2002 which I hear is a bit of a
    > beast.
    > > Within add and remove programs there are some symantec programs which
    > as
    > > I said previously I think relate to what I have uninstalled in one way
    > > or another. I tried regcleaner but it didn't pick up on any funny
    > > norton registry keys. That ps isn't online so what is the best way of
    > > ridding myself of small mess(question mark).
    > > Ron Martell Wrote:
    > > > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1mmxoa@news.win98banter.com wrote:
    > > > -
    > > >
    > > > I have uninstalled Norton but Xp thinks it is still present. I
    > forgot
    > > > uninstall before upgrade from 98se to xp home and so the email
    > > > scanning
    > > > part of Norton got corrupted. I then uninstalled the program and
    > > > attempted to reinstall but xp thinks that Norton still exists on the
    > > > pc. I realise this is a common problem and it isn't a huge one at
    > that
    > > > as I wish to abandon Norton and use McAfee anyway but it's driving
    > me
    > > > nuts. I am not brave enough to start fiddling with the registry
    > > > either.
    > > > On add and remove programs Norton isn't present but some associated
    > > > files(web update nonsense) are and I cannot uninstall as I get a
    > > > message saying Norton anti virus uses them. As ever thanks in
    > > > advance.-
    > > >
    > > > What version of Norton? If it is NAV 2002 or 2003 then get the
    > > > RNAV2003.EXE utility from the Symantec website and run it to clean
    > up
    > > > the mess that the Norton uninstaller leave behind.
    > > >
    > > > Also go through your hard drive and delete any left-over
    > > > Norton/Symantec folders.
    > > >
    > > > Good luck
    > > >

    > > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > > --
    > > > Microsoft MVP
    > > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > > >
    > > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    > >

    > > --
    > > PSYCHOPIXIE

    Read PSYCHOPIXIE's previous post. The computer with problems isn't
    online. Has no internet connection.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User