Mysterious Icon

Using Win98se

When I double click "My Computer" I have recently noticed that a new
Icon has appeared in the list together with the usual stuff, drive
letters etc.
It is a Windows logo type with no description next to it, just the icon.
If I right click on it I get the option to cut, create shortcut or
delete but none of these works.
Does anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it ?
Regards
Bill

Can it be an unwanted Namespace item? Do you know how to get to the
following Registry key & compare it to this Export...?...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\M
yComputer\NameSpace]
@=""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\M
yComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]
@="Scheduled Tasks"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\M
yComputer\NameSpace\{BDEADF00-C265-11d0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F}]
@="Web Folders"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\M
yComputer\NameSpace\{992CFFA0-F557-101A-88EC-00DD010CCC48}]
@="Dial-Up Networking"

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Bill P" <wmp@NOSPAMfor26for.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| Using Win98se
|
| When I double click "My Computer" I have recently noticed that a new
| Icon has appeared in the list together with the usual stuff, drive
| letters etc.
| It is a Windows logo type with no description next to it, just the
icon.
| If I right click on it I get the option to cut, create shortcut or
| delete but none of these works.
| Does anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it ?
| Regards
| Bill

It is likely a Namespace item in the Registry. You will have to look in the
Registry Editor for an errant Namespace entry.

Start>Run>scanregw
Click Yes when it asks if you want to back up the Registry.

Start>Run>regedit
Navigate to this key:
LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycomputer\NameSpac

Expand the NameSpace key and there will be sub-keys...click one and in the right
pane of the window you will see what it is. For example, there may be one named:
{992CFFA0-F557-101A-88EC-00DD010C}, and when you select it, you will see it is
associated with the Dial-up Networking icon in My Computer.

What you are looking for is another one that, when you select it, does not have a
name showing in the right pane at all, or has a name that is not among those you see
when you open My Computer on your desktop. That is the sub-key you want to
right-click and click Delete.

Before deleing anything, I suggest you export the entire NameSpace key to a .reg
file (or better, to a .txt file, on the Desktop), so you can open it with Notepad
and post its contents here, if you are unsure. To export the NameSpace key, select
it, then click the Registry menu> Export, name the file and save it to the location
you choose.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Bill P" <wmp@NOSPAMfor26for.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Using Win98se
>
> When I double click "My Computer" I have recently noticed that a new
> Icon has appeared in the list together with the usual stuff, drive
> letters etc.
> It is a Windows logo type with no description next to it, just the icon.
> If I right click on it I get the option to cut, create shortcut or
> delete but none of these works.
> Does anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it ?
> Regards
> Bill

Hi glee
Found it. It's a Namespace key for a digital camera.
I deleted Digital Camera from the list a few days ago and it has left
this Icon.
How do I reverse the situation?

> It is likely a Namespace item in the Registry. You will have to look
in the
> Registry Editor for an errant Namespace entry.
>
> Start>Run>scanregw
> Click Yes when it asks if you want to back up the Registry.
>
> Start>Run>regedit
> Navigate to this key:

LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycompu
ter\NameSpac

> Expand the NameSpace key and there will be sub-keys...click one and in
the right
> pane of the window you will see what it is. For example, there may be
one named:
> {992CFFA0-F557-101A-88EC-00DD010C}, and when you select it, you will
see it is
> associated with the Dial-up Networking icon in My Computer.
>
> What you are looking for is another one that, when you select it, does
not have a
> name showing in the right pane at all, or has a name that is not among
those you see
> when you open My Computer on your desktop. That is the sub-key you
want to
> right-click and click Delete.
>
> Before deleing anything, I suggest you export the entire NameSpace key
to a .reg
> file (or better, to a .txt file, on the Desktop), so you can open it
with Notepad
> and post its contents here, if you are unsure. To export the
NameSpace key, select
> it, then click the Registry menu> Export, name the file and save it to
the location
> you choose.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Bill P" <wmp@NOSPAMfor26for.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Using Win98se
> >
> > When I double click "My Computer" I have recently noticed that a new
> > Icon has appeared in the list together with the usual stuff, drive
> > letters etc.
> > It is a Windows logo type with no description next to it, just the
icon.
> > If I right click on it I get the option to cut, create shortcut or
> > delete but none of these works.
> > Does anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it ?
> > Regards
> > Bill

As I said in my reply, delete the particular Namespace sub-key that refers to it.
--

> Hi glee
> Found it. It's a Namespace key for a digital camera.
> I deleted Digital Camera from the list a few days ago and it has left
> this Icon.
> How do I reverse the situation?

> > It is likely a Namespace item in the Registry. You will have to look
> in the
> > Registry Editor for an errant Namespace entry.
> >
> > Start>Run>scanregw
> > Click Yes when it asks if you want to back up the Registry.
> >
> > Start>Run>regedit
> > Navigate to this key:
> >
> LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\mycompu
> ter\NameSpac
> >
> > Expand the NameSpace key and there will be sub-keys...click one and in
> the right
> > pane of the window you will see what it is. For example, there may be
> one named:
> > {992CFFA0-F557-101A-88EC-00DD010C}, and when you select it, you will
> see it is
> > associated with the Dial-up Networking icon in My Computer.
> >
> > What you are looking for is another one that, when you select it, does
> not have a
> > name showing in the right pane at all, or has a name that is not among
> those you see
> > when you open My Computer on your desktop. That is the sub-key you
> want to
> > right-click and click Delete.
> >
> > Before deleing anything, I suggest you export the entire NameSpace key
> to a .reg
> > file (or better, to a .txt file, on the Desktop), so you can open it
> with Notepad
> > and post its contents here, if you are unsure. To export the
> NameSpace key, select
> > it, then click the Registry menu> Export, name the file and save it to
> the location
> > you choose.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Bill P" <wmp@NOSPAMfor26for.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > Using Win98se
> > >
> > > When I double click "My Computer" I have recently noticed that a new
> > > Icon has appeared in the list together with the usual stuff, drive
> > > letters etc.
> > > It is a Windows logo type with no description next to it, just the
> icon.
> > > If I right click on it I get the option to cut, create shortcut or
> > > delete but none of these works.
> > > Does anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it ?
> > > Regards
> > > Bill

Deleted the key and the icon has now gone.
Many thanks.
Bill

YW.