But would they dare?

Last response: in Video Games
July 21, 2005 1:56:12 AM

Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals

More about : dare

July 21, 2005 3:00:47 AM

No. Why would they want to?

Arthur

"My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
>
> --
> e v e n S k y
>
> Athalon XP2800
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
> 80G H-D
> XP, FS9
> Wingman Strike force 3D
> CH yoke n' pedals

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 1:57:55 PM

Just because it showed the immense strength of the 707 airframe?

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:p P6dnflFUtMghELfRVn-iw@rogers.com...
> No. Why would they want to?
>
> Arthur
>
> "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
>> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
>>
>> --
>> e v e n S k y
>>
>> Athalon XP2800
>> 1 G Ram
>> GeForce FX5900XT
>> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
>> 80G H-D
>> XP, FS9
>> Wingman Strike force 3D
>> CH yoke n' pedals

July 21, 2005 4:13:57 PM

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in
news:p P6dnflFUtMghELfRVn-iw@rogers.com:

> No. Why would they want to?
>
> Arthur
>
> "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight.
>> D'ya think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How
>> 'bout a 7E7?
>>
>> --
>> e v e n S k y
>>
>> Athalon XP2800
>> 1 G Ram
>> GeForce FX5900XT
>> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
>> 80G H-D
>> XP, FS9
>> Wingman Strike force 3D
>> CH yoke n' pedals

Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
that's why.

And besides, he did it because he could, and had a heck of a lot of
confidence in the plane he was flying.

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals
July 21, 2005 7:21:33 PM

"The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
news:D kKDe.54457$oJ.35931@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Just because it showed the immense strength of the 707 airframe?

No. He said that it was a 1G manoevre throughout
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:24:34 PM

Arthur wrote:
> Maybe the French aren't as stupid. They don't think it's worth taking a
> half a billion dollar airplane and doing tricks with it to get attention.
> If they wish to test the strength of it, they can simulate any maneuver on
> their electronic equipment without leaving the ground.

Or perhaps they're worried that their rudders will fall off.

What's that term that pilots use for the Airbus, that I just read? Oh
yeah, "the plane with auto-eject rudders."

Cheers,
Kev
July 21, 2005 10:57:09 PM

Okay.....he did it because he could. He took a Boeing 707 and rolled it
because he knew how and for that, he went down in the history books. Good
for him.
Do you actually think that was a clever move? He risked a very expensive
piece of test equipment to show his alacrity at piloting.

Maybe the French aren't as stupid. They don't think it's worth taking a
half a billion dollar airplane and doing tricks with it to get attention.
If they wish to test the strength of it, they can simulate any maneuver on
their electronic equipment without leaving the ground.

I'm sure their pilots could do barrel rolls with the 380 if they wanted
to.....but they would be stupid to do so.....as this guy was when he rolled
the 707.

Oh yes, perhaps you could explain to us how political correctness and red
tape fit into this stunt or lack of.....

> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in
> news:p P6dnflFUtMghELfRVn-iw@rogers.com:
>
>> No. Why would they want to?
>>
>> Arthur
>>

> Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
> that's why.
>
> And besides, he did it because he could, and had a heck of a lot of
> confidence in the plane he was flying.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:14:48 PM

that was Ted Johnson, and nothing has ever sold a plane faster than the
barrel roll he did
"My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
>
> --
> e v e n S k y
>
> Athalon XP2800
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
> 80G H-D
> XP, FS9
> Wingman Strike force 3D
> CH yoke n' pedals

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:00:23 AM

In a history of Boeing this was quoted as one reason for him eventually
being sacked. Boeing did not want to risk losing their plane on its first
flight, no matter how safe he thought it was.

"My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
>
> --
> e v e n S k y
>
> Athalon XP2800
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
> 80G H-D
> XP, FS9
> Wingman Strike force 3D
> CH yoke n' pedals

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 12:28:21 AM

oopppss TEX Johnston, not ted as i first said

sorry
"Paul R" <rudmans@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> that was Ted Johnson, and nothing has ever sold a plane faster than the
> barrel roll he did
> "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight.
D'ya
> > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a
7E7?

> > --
> > e v e n S k y
> >
> > Athalon XP2800
> > 1 G Ram
> > GeForce FX5900XT
> > 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
> > 80G H-D
> > XP, FS9
> > Wingman Strike force 3D
> > CH yoke n' pedals

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:41:59 AM

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in news:Q4GdncX5Y7Vkun3fRVn-
jg@rogers.com:

> ape fit into this stunt or lack of.....

The red tape and political correctness tends to smother us. No one'll
take a risk, or go on a limb for fear of offending someone, somewhere,
somehow.
Whether he was right or wrong, it still took guts to do what he did and
he did it 'cause he could. How much would you be willing to bet , that
after the boss is gone, someone WILL roll it...in a simulator...but roll
it just the same.
How many times have we heard stories of major inventions that should have
failed because they were too dangerous or just plainly not believed they
would work. That character seems to be missing these days, simply bogged
down because of, "what'll my boss say, what'll my peers say, what'll my
friends say, and most importantly, "what'll the voters say".

My point was to comment on the differences between now and then, and my
example, for me, hits the nail on the head.

Oh and, yeah he was fired, but I'm sure Boeing collected data from the
stunt and put it to good use.

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:45:50 AM

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in

> Okay.....he did it because he could. He took a Boeing 707 and rolled
> it because he knew how and for that, he went down in the history
> books. Good for him.
> Do you actually think that was a clever move? He risked a very
> expensive piece of test equipment to show his alacrity at piloting.
>
> Maybe the French aren't as stupid. They don't think it's worth taking
> a half a billion dollar airplane and doing tricks with it to get
> attention. If they wish to test the strength of it, they can simulate
> any maneuver on their electronic equipment without leaving the ground.
>
> I'm sure their pilots could do barrel rolls with the 380 if they
> wanted to.....but they would be stupid to do so.....as this guy was
> when he rolled the 707.
>
> Oh yes, perhaps you could explain to us how political correctness and
> red tape fit into this stunt or lack of.....
>
> Arthur
>

> "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in
>> news:p P6dnflFUtMghELfRVn-iw@rogers.com:
>>
>>> No. Why would they want to?
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>

>> Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political
>> correctness that's why.
>>
>> And besides, he did it because he could, and had a heck of a lot of
>> confidence in the plane he was flying.

Hey Aurthur, I suddenly noticed that you seem to be trailing a piece of
red tape behind you ;)

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:41:40 AM

My Full name wrote:
> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?

In the tv series 'Reaching For The Skies' of some years ago it was
mentioned by test pilots that both the 747 and Concorde were rolled.

Richard.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:41:41 AM

"Richard Brooks" <richardbrooks@kdbanglia.com> wrote in message
news:D bp4qo$db0$2@domitilla.aioe.org...
> My Full name wrote:
> > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight.
D'ya
> > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a
7E7?

> In the tv series 'Reaching For The Skies' of some years ago it was
> mentioned by test pilots that both the 747 and Concorde were rolled.

In USMC boot camp, some 28 years ago, they showed us a movie of a CH-53
doing a barrel roll -- not sure I'd want to be within 10 miles of THAT one!

Earl
--
Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico USA

If 'red tape' and political correctness' = rules of flight, then they are
most necessary and are called flight manuals and procedures.

Ignore the manuals and procedures while flying, and you're dead meat. This
707 pilot, albeit a good one, ended up dead meat.

> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in news:Q4GdncX5Y7Vkun3fRVn-
> jg@rogers.com:

(Snip)
> The red tape and political correctness tends to smother us.

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:51:45 AM

> If 'red tape' and political correctness' = rules of flight, then they are
> most necessary and are called flight manuals and procedures.
>
> Ignore the manuals and procedures while flying, and you're dead meat.
> This 707 pilot, albeit a good one, ended up dead meat.
>
> Arthur

....of natural causes in 1999...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 5:50:38 PM

"My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? ...

I wonder if the Airbus fly-by-wire system would allow it. It probably
limits the bank angle so you couldn't do it without tweaking the system.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:12:38 PM

My Full name wrote:
> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?

A different culture and era, both in the
US and France. After Tex Johnson got reamed
by the president of Boeing, it's unlikely
that *any* test pilot would roll a prototype
jetliner.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:00:56 PM

My Full name wrote:

> Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
> that's why.

Huh???

It was still verboten. He just did it anyway, if that's what you're
implying. Otherwise, I don't see what "red tape" and especially
"political correctness" have to do with it.

John

July 22, 2005 10:02:25 PM

Paul R wrote:
> oopppss TEX Johnston, not ted as i first said

Somehow every time I hear that name I think of Slim Pickens.

John

July 23, 2005 2:35:00 AM

yup, 1G througout, that mean almost no real stress on the airframe, in fact
you can still pour a drink in that enviroment...

Paul
"Steph" <steph@vancouvers.island> wrote in message

> "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
> news:D kKDe.54457$oJ.35931@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > Just because it showed the immense strength of the 707 airframe?
> >

> No. He said that it was a 1G manoevre throughout

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:35:01 AM

I'll make up my mind if I see a 380 doing a roll, even if it was a less than
a 1G roll!

Paul R wrote:
> yup, 1G througout, that mean almost no real stress on the airframe, in fact
> you can still pour a drink in that enviroment...

Perhaps, but you'd wind up wearing it.

Shaken...and stirred.

John

July 23, 2005 2:35:02 AM

"The Man Behind The Curtain" <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> wrote in message
> Paul R wrote:
>> yup, 1G througout, that mean almost no real stress on the airframe, in
>> fact
>> you can still pour a drink in that enviroment...
>
> Perhaps, but you'd wind up wearing it.
>
> Shaken...and stirred.
>

> John

John,

No, you would not wind up wearing it.

If you keep 1G Positive while rolling (barrell rolling) then the water will
stay in the glass.

Dunno if it's available on the web, but do a Google search for:

- Hoover
- Roll
- Drink
- Pour

There was (several years ago) a nifty piece of film where Bob Hoover was
pouring a glass of water or iced tea from a pitcher into a glass which was
sitting on the glareshield. Suspended above the glass was a golf ball on a
string.

He never spills a drop of the liquid and the golf ball on a string never
moves a fraction of an inch in any direction.

This isn't so unusual until you notice that beyond the glare shield, the
horizon is rotating through 360 degrees of roll.

FWIW...

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:45:00 AM

correct Richard, i have that series on VHS somewhere, still watch it from
time to time, damn fine series too!!

:-)
Paul

"Richard Brooks" <richardbrooks@kdbanglia.com> wrote in message
news:D bp4qo$db0$2@domitilla.aioe.org...
> My Full name wrote:
> > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight.
D'ya
> > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a
7E7?

> In the tv series 'Reaching For The Skies' of some years ago it was
> mentioned by test pilots that both the 747 and Concorde were rolled.
>

> Richard.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:01:59 AM

does anyone know who the pilot was who did it, and that he was fired and
rehired before landing the 707 that he took through a full 360 roll that was
at a boat show not an air show?

> My Full name wrote:
>
>> Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
>> that's why.
>

> Huh???
>
> It was still verboten. He just did it anyway, if that's what you're
> implying. Otherwise, I don't see what "red tape" and especially
> "political correctness" have to do with it.
>

> John
>
> --
>

> Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:03:11 AM

actually it was the roll that sold that 707. after the people from all over
the globe saw that thing go over like that and stay together they all wanted
them.

"Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message
> My Full name wrote:
>> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
>> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
>
> A different culture and era, both in the
> US and France. After Tex Johnson got reamed
> by the president of Boeing, it's unlikely
> that *any* test pilot would roll a prototype
> jetliner.

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:34:39 PM

anotheremail wrote:
> does anyone know who the pilot was who did it, and that he was fired and
> rehired before landing the 707 that he took through a full 360 roll that was
> at a boat show not an air show?

Tex Johnson. It was within viewing distance
of the annual hydroplane races on Lake
Washington put on by Seafair. A big deal
in Seattle and surrounds....

> "The Man Behind The Curtain" <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> wrote in message
>
>>My Full name wrote:
>>

>>>Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
>>>that's why.
>>

>>Huh???
>>
>>It was still verboten. He just did it anyway, if that's what you're
>>implying. Otherwise, I don't see what "red tape" and especially
>>"political correctness" have to do with it.
>>

>>John
>>
>>--
>>

>>Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:53:47 AM

A little about Tex:

http://www.707sim.com/texjohnston.html

Mike
"My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
>
> --
> e v e n S k y
>
> Athalon XP2800
> 1 G Ram
> GeForce FX5900XT
> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
> 80G H-D
> XP, FS9
> Wingman Strike force 3D
> CH yoke n' pedals

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:02:29 AM

Old Tex did that roll in the 707 at 500 feet!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_707

Mike

!