But would they dare?

Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?

--
e v e n S k y

Athalon XP2800
1 G Ram
GeForce FX5900XT
160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
80G H-D
XP, FS9
Wingman Strike force 3D
CH yoke n' pedals
29 answers Last reply
More about dare

    No. Why would they want to?

    Arthur

    "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
    >
    > --
    > e v e n S k y
    >
    > Athalon XP2800
    > 1 G Ram
    > GeForce FX5900XT
    > 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
    > 80G H-D
    > XP, FS9
    > Wingman Strike force 3D
    > CH yoke n' pedals

    Just because it showed the immense strength of the 707 airframe?

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > No. Why would they want to?
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    >> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
    >>
    >> --
    >> e v e n S k y
    >>
    >> Athalon XP2800
    >> 1 G Ram
    >> GeForce FX5900XT
    >> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
    >> 80G H-D
    >> XP, FS9
    >> Wingman Strike force 3D
    >> CH yoke n' pedals

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in

    > No. Why would they want to?
    >
    > Arthur
    >
    > "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight.
    >> D'ya think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How
    >> 'bout a 7E7?
    >>
    >> --
    >> e v e n S k y
    >>
    >> Athalon XP2800
    >> 1 G Ram
    >> GeForce FX5900XT
    >> 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
    >> 80G H-D
    >> XP, FS9
    >> Wingman Strike force 3D
    >> CH yoke n' pedals

    Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
    that's why.

    And besides, he did it because he could, and had a heck of a lot of
    confidence in the plane he was flying.

    --

    "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
    > Just because it showed the immense strength of the 707 airframe?

    No. He said that it was a 1G manoevre throughout

    Arthur wrote:
    > Maybe the French aren't as stupid. They don't think it's worth taking a
    > half a billion dollar airplane and doing tricks with it to get attention.
    > If they wish to test the strength of it, they can simulate any maneuver on
    > their electronic equipment without leaving the ground.

    Or perhaps they're worried that their rudders will fall off.

    What's that term that pilots use for the Airbus, that I just read? Oh
    yeah, "the plane with auto-eject rudders."

    Cheers,
    Kev

    Okay.....he did it because he could. He took a Boeing 707 and rolled it
    because he knew how and for that, he went down in the history books. Good
    for him.
    Do you actually think that was a clever move? He risked a very expensive
    piece of test equipment to show his alacrity at piloting.

    Maybe the French aren't as stupid. They don't think it's worth taking a
    half a billion dollar airplane and doing tricks with it to get attention.
    If they wish to test the strength of it, they can simulate any maneuver on
    their electronic equipment without leaving the ground.

    I'm sure their pilots could do barrel rolls with the 380 if they wanted
    to.....but they would be stupid to do so.....as this guy was when he rolled
    the 707.

    Oh yes, perhaps you could explain to us how political correctness and red
    tape fit into this stunt or lack of.....

    > "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in
    >
    >> No. Why would they want to?
    >>
    >> Arthur
    >>

    > Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
    > that's why.
    >
    > And besides, he did it because he could, and had a heck of a lot of
    > confidence in the plane he was flying.

    that was Ted Johnson, and nothing has ever sold a plane faster than the
    barrel roll he did
    "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
    >
    > --
    > e v e n S k y
    >
    > Athalon XP2800
    > 1 G Ram
    > GeForce FX5900XT
    > 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
    > 80G H-D
    > XP, FS9
    > Wingman Strike force 3D
    > CH yoke n' pedals

    In a history of Boeing this was quoted as one reason for him eventually
    being sacked. Boeing did not want to risk losing their plane on its first
    flight, no matter how safe he thought it was.

    "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
    >
    > --
    > e v e n S k y
    >
    > Athalon XP2800
    > 1 G Ram
    > GeForce FX5900XT
    > 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
    > 80G H-D
    > XP, FS9
    > Wingman Strike force 3D
    > CH yoke n' pedals

    oopppss TEX Johnston, not ted as i first said

    sorry

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in news:Q4GdncX5Y7Vkun3fRVn-
    jg@rogers.com:

    > ape fit into this stunt or lack of.....

    The red tape and political correctness tends to smother us. No one'll
    take a risk, or go on a limb for fear of offending someone, somewhere,
    somehow.
    Whether he was right or wrong, it still took guts to do what he did and
    he did it 'cause he could. How much would you be willing to bet , that
    after the boss is gone, someone WILL roll it...in a simulator...but roll
    it just the same.
    How many times have we heard stories of major inventions that should have
    failed because they were too dangerous or just plainly not believed they
    would work. That character seems to be missing these days, simply bogged
    down because of, "what'll my boss say, what'll my peers say, what'll my
    friends say, and most importantly, "what'll the voters say".

    My point was to comment on the differences between now and then, and my
    example, for me, hits the nail on the head.

    Oh and, yeah he was fired, but I'm sure Boeing collected data from the
    stunt and put it to good use.

    --
    e v e n S k y

    Athalon XP2800
    1 G Ram
    GeForce FX5900XT
    160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
    80G H-D
    XP, FS9
    Wingman Strike force 3D
    CH yoke n' pedals

    "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in

    > Okay.....he did it because he could. He took a Boeing 707 and rolled
    > it because he knew how and for that, he went down in the history
    > books. Good for him.
    > Do you actually think that was a clever move? He risked a very
    > expensive piece of test equipment to show his alacrity at piloting.
    >
    > Maybe the French aren't as stupid. They don't think it's worth taking
    > a half a billion dollar airplane and doing tricks with it to get
    > attention. If they wish to test the strength of it, they can simulate
    > any maneuver on their electronic equipment without leaving the ground.
    >
    > I'm sure their pilots could do barrel rolls with the 380 if they
    > wanted to.....but they would be stupid to do so.....as this guy was
    > when he rolled the 707.
    >
    > Oh yes, perhaps you could explain to us how political correctness and
    > red tape fit into this stunt or lack of.....
    >
    > Arthur
    >

    > "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> No. Why would they want to?
    >>>
    >>> Arthur
    >>>

    >> Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political
    >> correctness that's why.
    >>
    >> And besides, he did it because he could, and had a heck of a lot of
    >> confidence in the plane he was flying.

    Hey Aurthur, I suddenly noticed that you seem to be trailing a piece of
    red tape behind you ;)

    --

    My Full name wrote:
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?

    In the tv series 'Reaching For The Skies' of some years ago it was
    mentioned by test pilots that both the 747 and Concorde were rolled.

    Richard.

    "Richard Brooks" <richardbrooks@kdbanglia.com> wrote in message
    > My Full name wrote:
    > > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight.
    D'ya
    > > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a
    7E7?

    > In the tv series 'Reaching For The Skies' of some years ago it was
    > mentioned by test pilots that both the 747 and Concorde were rolled.

    In USMC boot camp, some 28 years ago, they showed us a movie of a CH-53
    doing a barrel roll -- not sure I'd want to be within 10 miles of THAT one!

    Earl
    --
    Earl Needham
    Clovis, New Mexico USA

    If 'red tape' and political correctness' = rules of flight, then they are
    most necessary and are called flight manuals and procedures.

    Ignore the manuals and procedures while flying, and you're dead meat. This
    707 pilot, albeit a good one, ended up dead meat.

    > "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in news:Q4GdncX5Y7Vkun3fRVn-
    > jg@rogers.com:

    (Snip)

    > If 'red tape' and political correctness' = rules of flight, then they are
    > most necessary and are called flight manuals and procedures.
    >
    > Ignore the manuals and procedures while flying, and you're dead meat.
    > This 707 pilot, albeit a good one, ended up dead meat.
    >
    > Arthur

    ....of natural causes in 1999...

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL
    Chandler, AZ

    "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? ...

    I wonder if the Airbus fly-by-wire system would allow it. It probably
    limits the bank angle so you couldn't do it without tweaking the system.

    My Full name wrote:
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?

    A different culture and era, both in the
    US and France. After Tex Johnson got reamed
    by the president of Boeing, it's unlikely
    that *any* test pilot would roll a prototype
    jetliner.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    My Full name wrote:

    > Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
    > that's why.

    Huh???

    It was still verboten. He just did it anyway, if that's what you're
    implying. Otherwise, I don't see what "red tape" and especially
    "political correctness" have to do with it.

    John

  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Paul R wrote:
    > oopppss TEX Johnston, not ted as i first said

    Somehow every time I hear that name I think of Slim Pickens.

    John

  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    yup, 1G througout, that mean almost no real stress on the airframe, in fact
    you can still pour a drink in that enviroment...

    Paul
    "Steph" <steph@vancouvers.island> wrote in message

    > "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
    > > Just because it showed the immense strength of the 707 airframe?
    > >

    > No. He said that it was a 1G manoevre throughout

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    I'll make up my mind if I see a 380 doing a roll, even if it was a less than
    a 1G roll!

    > yup, 1G througout, that mean almost no real stress on the airframe, in
    > fact
    > you can still pour a drink in that enviroment...
    >
    > Paul
    > "Steph" <steph@vancouvers.island> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "The Old Bloke" <old@bigponddddd.net.au> wrote in message
    >> > Just because it showed the immense strength of the 707 airframe?
    >> >

    >> No. He said that it was a 1G manoevre throughout

  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Paul R wrote:
    > yup, 1G througout, that mean almost no real stress on the airframe, in fact
    > you can still pour a drink in that enviroment...

    Perhaps, but you'd wind up wearing it.

    Shaken...and stirred.

    John

  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    "The Man Behind The Curtain" <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> wrote in message
    > Paul R wrote:
    >> yup, 1G througout, that mean almost no real stress on the airframe, in
    >> fact
    >> you can still pour a drink in that enviroment...
    >
    > Perhaps, but you'd wind up wearing it.
    >
    > Shaken...and stirred.
    >

    > John

    John,

    No, you would not wind up wearing it.

    If you keep 1G Positive while rolling (barrell rolling) then the water will
    stay in the glass.

    Dunno if it's available on the web, but do a Google search for:

    - Hoover
    - Roll
    - Drink
    - Pour

    There was (several years ago) a nifty piece of film where Bob Hoover was
    pouring a glass of water or iced tea from a pitcher into a glass which was
    sitting on the glareshield. Suspended above the glass was a golf ball on a
    string.

    He never spills a drop of the liquid and the golf ball on a string never
    moves a fraction of an inch in any direction.

    This isn't so unusual until you notice that beyond the glare shield, the
    horizon is rotating through 360 degrees of roll.

    FWIW...

    Jay Beckman
    PP-ASEL
    Chandler, AZ
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    correct Richard, i have that series on VHS somewhere, still watch it from
    time to time, damn fine series too!!

    :-)
    Paul

    "Richard Brooks" <richardbrooks@kdbanglia.com> wrote in message
    > My Full name wrote:
    > > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight.
    D'ya
    > > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a
    7E7?

    > In the tv series 'Reaching For The Skies' of some years ago it was
    > mentioned by test pilots that both the 747 and Concorde were rolled.
    >

    > Richard.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    does anyone know who the pilot was who did it, and that he was fired and
    rehired before landing the 707 that he took through a full 360 roll that was
    at a boat show not an air show?

    > My Full name wrote:
    >
    >> Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
    >> that's why.
    >

    > Huh???
    >
    > It was still verboten. He just did it anyway, if that's what you're
    > implying. Otherwise, I don't see what "red tape" and especially
    > "political correctness" have to do with it.
    >

    > John
    >
    > --
    >

    > Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    actually it was the roll that sold that 707. after the people from all over
    the globe saw that thing go over like that and stay together they all wanted
    them.

    "Jim Stewart" <jstewart@jkmicro.com> wrote in message
    > My Full name wrote:
    >> Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    >> think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
    >
    > A different culture and era, both in the
    > US and France. After Tex Johnson got reamed
    > by the president of Boeing, it's unlikely
    > that *any* test pilot would roll a prototype
    > jetliner.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    anotheremail wrote:
    > does anyone know who the pilot was who did it, and that he was fired and
    > rehired before landing the 707 that he took through a full 360 roll that was
    > at a boat show not an air show?

    Tex Johnson. It was within viewing distance
    of the annual hydroplane races on Lake
    Washington put on by Seafair. A big deal
    in Seattle and surrounds....

    > "The Man Behind The Curtain" <johngrabowski@earthblink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>My Full name wrote:
    >>

    >>>Was a day when there seemed to be less red tape and political correctness
    >>>that's why.
    >>

    >>Huh???
    >>
    >>It was still verboten. He just did it anyway, if that's what you're
    >>implying. Otherwise, I don't see what "red tape" and especially
    >>"political correctness" have to do with it.
    >>

    >>John
    >>
    >>--
    >>

    >>Von Herzen, moge es wieder zu Herzen gehen. --Beethoven

  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    A little about Tex:

    http://www.707sim.com/texjohnston.html

    Mike
    "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
    >
    > --
    > e v e n S k y
    >
    > Athalon XP2800
    > 1 G Ram
    > GeForce FX5900XT
    > 160G H-D (my newest little darlin')
    > 80G H-D
    > XP, FS9
    > Wingman Strike force 3D
    > CH yoke n' pedals

  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

    Old Tex did that roll in the 707 at 500 feet!!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_707

    Mike
    "My Full name" <evensky1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Remeber a test pilot rolled his 707 during testing and demo flight. D'ya
    > think our French France friends would ever roll the 380? How 'bout a 7E7?
    >
    > --
    > e v e n S k y
    >
    > Athalon XP2800
    > 1 G Ram