Help?! Lost Win 98 Product key card

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 29, 2005 9:27:01 PM

Hi all,

I had to dump my corrupted OS, only to find that I lost the product key
certificate, and that this laptop predates when they started installing
stickers or etching on the terminal itself. Can anyone direct me to the part
of the site where I can look it up? I registered it at the time. Cheers!
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:17:01 AM

zimich <zimich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I had to dump my corrupted OS, only to find that I lost the product key
>certificate, and that this laptop predates when they started installing
>stickers or etching on the terminal itself. Can anyone direct me to the part
>of the site where I can look it up? I registered it at the time. Cheers!

If you have reformatted the hard drive and cannot find the Certificate
of Authenticity then you are pretty much out of luck.

Your best bet might be to try one of the "unformatting" utilities and
hope that it can recover enough of the hard drive so you can locate a
registry backup, which would be an RBnnn.CAB file from the
\Windows\Sysbackup folder.

The product key could then be located within the backed up registry
files.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--