Microsoft Agent

kelvin

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I encounter the following Runtime Error on Win98 (not for WinXP) when I try
to load the MSAgent in my application:

Runtime Error 339:Componet 'AGENTCTL.DLL' or one of it's dependencies not
correctly registered or file is missing or invalid.....

Anyone have the similar experience, appreciated if you can share your
solution.

Thanks.

Kelvin

lee

Kelvin wrote:
> I encounter the following Runtime Error on Win98 (not for WinXP) when
I try
> to load the MSAgent in my application:
>
> Runtime Error 339:Componet 'AGENTCTL.DLL' or one of it's dependencies
not
> correctly registered or file is missing or invalid.....
>
> Anyone have the similar experience, appreciated if you can share your

> solution.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kelvin

You should be able to go to the Windows Update Catalog site, find and
download Agent 2.0 and then reapply it.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

kelvin

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Dear Sir:

Can you give me the full URL, seem like I can't find the download.

The problem happen on Win95, Win98 and WinME:

Microsoft Agent Genie - Error 339 (URGENT)

Hey Gang,

We're using the Microsoft Agent Genie in our VB application. We receive the
following error: "339: Component AGENTCTL.DLL or one of its dependencies not
correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when the program runs on
Win98. Naturally, Win2000 and XP already have it installed, so there's no
problem.

The AGENTCTL.DLL is in the distribution package and it is mark to be
registered in the Wise installer.
We need to solve this urgently, so I am in a panic !

Any ideas?

"Lee" wrote:

> Kelvin wrote:
> > I encounter the following Runtime Error on Win98 (not for WinXP) when
> I try
> > to load the MSAgent in my application:
> >
> > Runtime Error 339:Componet 'AGENTCTL.DLL' or one of it's dependencies
> not
> > correctly registered or file is missing or invalid.....
> >
> > Anyone have the similar experience, appreciated if you can share your
>
> > solution.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Kelvin
>
> You should be able to go to the Windows Update Catalog site, find and
> download Agent 2.0 and then reapply it.
> http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

I gave you a direct link to Agent 2.0 in your other thread.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=8&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&genscs=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3de11bf712-7862-45ba-826d-44ae3a11836f%26DisplayLang%3den

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Kelvin" <Kelvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear Sir:
>
> Can you give me the full URL, seem like I can't find the download.
>
> The problem happen on Win95, Win98 and WinME:
>
> Microsoft Agent Genie - Error 339 (URGENT)
>
> Hey Gang,
>
> We're using the Microsoft Agent Genie in our VB application. We
receive the
> following error: "339: Component AGENTCTL.DLL or one of its
dependencies not
> correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when the program
runs on
> Win98. Naturally, Win2000 and XP already have it installed, so
there's no
> problem.
>
> The AGENTCTL.DLL is in the distribution package and it is mark to be
> registered in the Wise installer.
> We need to solve this urgently, so I am in a panic !
>
> Any ideas?
>
> "Lee" wrote:
>

> > Kelvin wrote:
> > > I encounter the following Runtime Error on Win98 (not for WinXP)
when
> > I try
> > > to load the MSAgent in my application:
> > >
> > > Runtime Error 339:Componet 'AGENTCTL.DLL' or one of it's
dependencies
> > not
> > > correctly registered or file is missing or invalid.....
> > >
> > > Anyone have the similar experience, appreciated if you can share
your

> > > solution.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Kelvin
> >
> > You should be able to go to the Windows Update Catalog site, find
and
> > download Agent 2.0 and then reapply it.
> > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

kelvin

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Dear Sir:

Thanks for your prompt reply and comment.
I have download and reinstall the Agent.exe but still not solving the
problem. Any idea?

Thanks and looking forward for your comment.

Regards:
Kelvin

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> I gave you a direct link to Agent 2.0 in your other thread.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=8&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&genscs=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3de11bf712-7862-45ba-826d-44ae3a11836f%26DisplayLang%3den
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Kelvin" <Kelvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Sir:
> >
> > Can you give me the full URL, seem like I can't find the download.
> >
> > The problem happen on Win95, Win98 and WinME:
> >
> > Microsoft Agent Genie - Error 339 (URGENT)
> >
> > Hey Gang,
> >
> > We're using the Microsoft Agent Genie in our VB application. We
> receive the
> > following error: "339: Component AGENTCTL.DLL or one of its
> dependencies not
> > correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when the program
> runs on
> > Win98. Naturally, Win2000 and XP already have it installed, so
> there's no
> > problem.
> >
> > The AGENTCTL.DLL is in the distribution package and it is mark to be
> > registered in the Wise installer.
> > We need to solve this urgently, so I am in a panic !
> >
> > Any ideas?

> when
> > > I try

> dependencies
> > > not

> your

> > > You should be able to go to the Windows Update Catalog site, find
> and
> > > download Agent 2.0 and then reapply it.
> > > http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog/

No, I'm sorry. Only help I can offer are the two MSDN Library articles
that I also referred you to in my first reply. Or, you can look for the
appropriate newsgroup for the development app you are using. It would
appear that one or another of your installer procedures is not properly
coded for Windows 98 installation. This being a general users discussion
group, it would be pure happenstance if someone here had the answers to
your questions. We figure out what to do with the software developers
give us, not how to design that software. Rather opposite sides of the
coin.

--

> Dear Sir:
>
> Thanks for your prompt reply and comment.
> I have download and reinstall the Agent.exe but still not solving the
> problem. Any idea?
>
> Thanks and looking forward for your comment.
>
> Regards:
> Kelvin
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > I gave you a direct link to Agent 2.0 in your other thread.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=8&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&genscs=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3de11bf712-7862-45ba-826d-44ae3a11836f%26DisplayLang%3den

> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Kelvin" <Kelvin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Dear Sir:
> > >
> > > Can you give me the full URL, seem like I can't find the download.
> > >
> > > The problem happen on Win95, Win98 and WinME:
> > >
> > > Microsoft Agent Genie - Error 339 (URGENT)
> > >
> > > Hey Gang,
> > >
> > > We're using the Microsoft Agent Genie in our VB application. We
> > receive the
> > > following error: "339: Component AGENTCTL.DLL or one of its
> > dependencies not
> > > correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid." when the
program
> > runs on
> > > Win98. Naturally, Win2000 and XP already have it installed, so
> > there's no
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > The AGENTCTL.DLL is in the distribution package and it is mark to
be
> > > registered in the Wise installer.
> > > We need to solve this urgently, so I am in a panic !
> > >
> > > Any ideas?

WinXP)
> > when

> > dependencies

> > your

> > and

lee

Only solution I have now is to put you on the trail and turn you loose
to find the problem on your own.

Using Dependency Walker on AGENTCTL.DLL might show you which of the
files is the problem. You'll probably find that one or more of the
Agent 2.0 set of files has been replaced with a higher version that
doesn't belong on your 98 box in the first place. You'll have to
manually check the versions via right click properties and extract the
files within the Agent 2.0 set using WinZip to check their versions.
http://www.dependencywalker.com/

You can try to remove the higher versioned files manually and then
reapply Agent 2.0 which should get your 98 Agent working again, but no
guarantees that it will now work with your application properly.