Best cooler/adhesuve for my Athlon 64 3200+

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I have an Athlon 64 3200+ with an MSI K8n Neo Nforce 4 250GB motherboard.

I have a crappy old case that is like 5-6 years old that has no fans inside (I had to buy on extra for the front) and my cpu was running at around 75 Celsius at its worst lol. I have it down to about 64 now.

I am getting a new case tomorrow, an Antec Super Lanboy which has two 120MM fans inside. I am also buying a third 120MM fan for it, and maybe an 80 or 92 for the side-window, where I will drill a few holes for airflow.

I am wondering what a good CPU fan and thermal adhesive would be good to reduce my cpu temp. I was recommended Zalman by a friend.

I am looking at getting the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED along with some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste.

My two friends are avid overclockers and recommended this config. My question is, how do I remove my old fan and the paste, and how exactly do I apply the new paste and fan? Are there any good guides online?

SeattleSuper2ner

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
ok, heres is what u do,

First u want to unhook the retention bracket on the stock hsf, then unhook the power plug from the motherboard, the fan should just lift off it doesnt, re connect everything including the retention bracket and run the comp for like 5-10 min, then repeat steps above.Now you want to clean the cpu using 70% isopropel alchohol or arti-clean if u have it. then fallow the instuction for the new cooler you bought, but instead of using the supplied thermal paste use about a dot the size of about a grain of rice in the middle, give or take a bit. then install the new zalman hsf and tada!!. good luck, hope this helps :D